Ocz corexstream series 500w

the verdict on the PSU? Will it blow up like those cheap ones or is it of good quality? The only one I can afford so don't tell me to buy a Corsair or an Antec unless it under £40! my specs:
Intel Core i7 870
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA Overclocked)
1.5 TB Hard drive
2 PCI-E cards (Sound and Internet)

Thanks in advance people!
19 answers Last reply
More about corexstream series 500w
  1. OCZ are a good PSU maker - I had the 400w CoreXStream for ages and it worked fine on a system very similar to yours. An alternative would be the Corsair CX 500W PSU, which is Bronze 80 Plus rated and on offer at £44: http://www.ebuyer.com/278634-corsair-500w-cx-v2-psu-cmpsu-500cxv2uk

    But either would be fine.
  2. bazz10 said:
    the verdict on the PSU? Will it blow up like those cheap ones or is it of good quality? The only one I can afford so don't tell me to buy a Corsair or an Antec unless it under £40! my specs:
    Intel Core i7 870
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA Overclocked)
    1.5 TB Hard drive
    2 PCI-E cards (Sound and Internet)

    Thanks in advance people!

    Well, it's low-end and HEC built, so those two things would make me want to see a positive review before recommending it, which I haven't.

    I would recommend this instead:
    Antec VP450P (£35 @ CCL Online)
    http://skinflint.co.uk/584982

    Anonymous said:
    OCZ are a good PSU maker - I had the 400w CoreXStream for ages and it worked fine on a system very similar to yours. An alternative would be the Corsair CX 500W PSU, which is Bronze 80 Plus rated and on offer at £44: http://www.ebuyer.com/278634-corsair-500w-cx-v2-psu-cmpsu-500cxv2uk

    But either would be fine.

    The CoreXStream series only contains a 500W model atm, so I doubt that you've been owning a 400W CoreXStream.

    Also the Corsair CX500 V2 is not 80 PLUS Bronze certified, only standard. It is the new Corsair CX500 (CP-9020047 / 75-001667) that is 80 PLUS Bronze certified. And I wouldn't recommend that until it is positively review either.
  3. good choice sivune ;) i agree on this one
  4. Silvune said:
    Well, it's low-end and HEC built, so those two things would make me want to see a positive review before recommending it, which I haven't.

    I would recommend this instead:
    Antec VP450P (£35 @ CCL Online)
    http://skinflint.co.uk/584982


    The CoreXStream series only contains a 500W model atm, so I doubt that you've been owning a 400W CoreXStream.

    Also the Corsair CX500 V2 is not 80 PLUS Bronze certified, only standard. It is the new Corsair CX500 (CP-9020047 / 75-001667) that is 80 PLUS Bronze certified. And I wouldn't recommend that until it is positively review either.

    I ideally need a 500W though mate, also seen this for £33.54, looks worth it: http://www.shop.bt.com/products/xigmatek-500w-tauro-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-8BQN.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product%20search&utm_content=RR00
    your opinion?
  5. thats an ok choice alot better than cheaper powersupplies.
  6. Also seen quite a few good reviews on the 700w version of the Xigmatek I posted. Not as many on the 500w however, but they're roughly of the same build quality, right?
  7. iceclock said:

    Need 500W boss :non:
  8. bazz10 said:
    Need 500W boss :non:

    Need 500W?

    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.
  9. Hi :)

    I sell them in my shops...NEVER had one back under warranty...

    All the best Brett :)
  10. ko888 said:
    Need 500W?

    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    I know that, but I have a 460w generic and using a power supply calculator revealed i need 500w. I also need it as nearly all my games just go black during gameplay, due to not enough wattage (me thinks)
  11. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    I sell them in my shops...NEVER had one back under warranty...

    All the best Brett :)

    Oh, and if you know what were the customers buying them for, gaming or more general uses?
  12. bazz10 said:
    Oh, and if you know what were the customers buying them for, gaming or more general uses?



    Hi :)

    Mostly gamers and we also fit them into games machines we build....no problems at all...

    All the best Brett :)
  13. bazz10 said:
    I know that, but I have a 460w generic and using a power supply calculator revealed i need 500w. I also need it as nearly all my games just go black during gameplay, due to not enough wattage (me thinks)

    Even this Seasonic SS-360GP 360W Power Supply is sufficient to power your system configuration:

    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/360w-seasonic-psu-g-360-80-plus-gold-quiet-fan

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C-50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

    You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, many of them lack the Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, to take into account those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).
  14. i agree, somethimes a powersupply is rated higher than its actual power output.

    a quality 350watt ps is better than a poor 500watt ps in logic.
  15. You don't need a 500W PSU. If a 450W PSU wasn't enough (which it is) then chances are a 500W PSU wouldn't be enough either.

    bazz10 said:


    Absolutely the ZS Series 550W. It is better because it is independantly regulated, it is more efficient, it has Japanese capacitors and it has longer cables. The only disadvantage that I'm aware of compared to the ModXStream Pro is the lack of modular cables, but I think the other advantages outweigh this.
  16. +1 there decent proof its better, good regulation, japanese caps :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components