Advise On Upgrading

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hey all. So I got some great advise here a few weeks ago about upgrading my GPU and i'm back looking for more if anyone is up to it. :p

So a few weeks ago I bought a GTX 670. I have finally decided to move to intel(CPU) from AMD. Ill post my specs below

Case: IN WIN Fanqua
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980
CPU Cooler: titan fenrir evo extreme heatpipe
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Hyper-X
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 Gigabyte 3xWindForce Edition
MOBO: Asus M5A97
HDD: Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

So I am looking to upgrade my CPU(and of course my Mobo due to the switch) and am wondering if anyone can suggest any. The system is only used for gaming and browsing. From what I know the 2500K is supposed to be very good for gaming, but i've been reading about the ivy bridge CPUs being good aswell. Which would you recommend? I won't be overclocking as I don't have a clue how to. Now the CPUs I may know a tiny bit about, but I know nothing about mobos. Which one would be best for me?

Also one last thing, I am buying an SSD with them aswell along with a new HD(used only for my Steam games), possibly a 128gb SSD, can anyone recommend any? And a good HD that I can use only for my Steam games.

Sorry all the questions, I just don't want to spend money on stuff then find out it's either crap or don't work with my current stuff. lol. Still learning the hardware side of computers.

Thanks for reading and any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
The 3570k is the Ivy Bridge equivalent to the 2500k and is the current king of gaming CPU's. It offers typical Ivy Bridge upgrades over the 2500k, PCI-3, lower power draw, bit better performance.

AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 is a great budget motherboard to get. It has all the features you could need (dual 8x/8x slots for SLI/Crossfire, onboard power switches and LED debug system, USB3 headers, 4 SATA3 ports, 4 SATA2 ports, etc). It will also let you overclock if you decide to later, its quite simple to do so on modern CPU's.

For the SSD, I personally recommend the OCZ Vertex 4. Though the Samsung 830, Crucial M4, Intel 520 and the Plextor M3 will all perform amazingly.

For HDD's, I prefer Seagate Barracuda's, perform just as well as Caviar...

SNYPER E

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I'd go with the i5 3570k + Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H.

Also, when you bought the computer was Windows 7 pre-installed with the motherboard? If so you'll have to buy another Windows 7 product key.

kalidur

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
You don't have to know anything about overclocking if you go with the i7 3930k and a P9X79 mobo. The Asus software will get you from the stock 3.2mhz to 4.2mhz and keep the voltage at 1.33 with no problems at all. Depending on how many sticks of ram you have (i.e. 4X4) you'll be able to take advantage of the quad channel memory controller as well.

It may be a little overkill but it will also be able to handle any future upgrades you consider as well, for a pretty reasonable price, imo.

The 3570k is the Ivy Bridge equivalent to the 2500k and is the current king of gaming CPU's. It offers typical Ivy Bridge upgrades over the 2500k, PCI-3, lower power draw, bit better performance.

AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 is a great budget motherboard to get. It has all the features you could need (dual 8x/8x slots for SLI/Crossfire, onboard power switches and LED debug system, USB3 headers, 4 SATA3 ports, 4 SATA2 ports, etc). It will also let you overclock if you decide to later, its quite simple to do so on modern CPU's.

For the SSD, I personally recommend the OCZ Vertex 4. Though the Samsung 830, Crucial M4, Intel 520 and the Plextor M3 will all perform amazingly.

For HDD's, I prefer Seagate Barracuda's, perform just as well as Caviar Blacks and are often cheaper.

Some bad news though.
If you get an Intel CPU, that Kingston RAM will have to be replaced. Kingston runs at 1.65v, which Intel CPU memory controllers weren't designed for, this can lead to the memory controller being damaged. It also voids the warranty on the chip.

Solution

That is a bit more than a little overkill.
If you want one button push overclocking, most MSI high end boards have OC Genie, which will bump up clock speeds for you. But its so simple now that its not worth paying for that extra.

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. After looking up everything people have suggested I think im going to go with manofchalk.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have my wish list made out now for when i'm buying. And I didn't know about the RAM, shame, but im selling my old parts to a friend so at least I can sell them. What RAM would you recommend getting then to replace it?