Sign in with
Your question

FX 6300

Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2012 5:54:05 PM

Hello,
Ok heres the problem
I ordered a AMD FX 6300 from newegg and now that ive ordered all i hear is how bad a mistake i made.
Would it be a good idea to return the MB and processor and deal with neweggs return policies (restock fee, shipping back to them etc..) or would the Fx be good enough for games like GW2, WoW??

More about : 6300

a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 6:04:57 PM

Nah, you'll be fine with those games you have. What is your video card? Just make sure to buy an aftermarket cooler and overclock the FX-6300.
m
l
December 16, 2012 6:06:02 PM

Anyone? below is the system
would it be worht keeping or get the I5 and MB and deal with Neweggs return

SAPPHIRE 100355-1GOCL Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo)

ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-

thanks Socialfox
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 6:07:02 PM

You'll be fine with World of warcraft and guild wars 2. Your video card is also pretty good but what resolution are you playing at? Like I said above, make sure to overclock.
m
l
December 16, 2012 6:25:21 PM

Was hoping for 1920X1080 resolution
Also have a COOLER MASTER RR-H612-20PK-R3 120mm Sleeve with 6 Heat Pipes Hyper 612 PWM CPU Cooler for overclocking is that going to be good enough ??
One more question is my MB going to be able to accept the CPU without having to update my bios?
Sorry for my lack of knowlege lol first time computer builder UGH!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 6:32:08 PM

I can't guarentee the CPU will work but if you bought it bundled they might have chosen a motherboard that already has the firmware requirement.

Anyways 1920x1080 is possible, you'll take a slight performance hit with CPU intensive games which is why I suggest you overclock and your current cooler is a good one.

Also is the return policy for newegg 15% off?
m
l
December 16, 2012 6:39:58 PM

yeah neweggs website says they will charge a 15% restock fee on items returned
so with the MB and processor at 129.99 and 139.99 = 40 bucks restock and add shpping back to them. Thats whats been eatting at me lol should i take the hit and then order the I5 3570 with MB
m
l
December 16, 2012 6:41:17 PM

Plus then i would have to wait another 2 weeks to get this thing put together lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 6:43:41 PM

Nah, you lose out big time with the money, though next time you should post a thread prior to ordering. AND if I am right with the price, an i5 3570 costs around $200 and then it would be around $150 for the motherboard. SO it does cost much more...
m
l
December 16, 2012 6:50:01 PM

Thanks a ton Socialfox lesson learned and dont go hiding on me when all the parts come in and i start overclocking i might have to look you up lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 6:52:08 PM

RT1972 said:
Thanks a ton Socialfox lesson learned and dont go hiding on me when all the parts come in and i start overclocking i might have to look you up lol

Ahaha, I'm not the best when it comes to overclocking but feel free to message me. I can also refer you to a friend of mine who is a wiz at overclocking, his username here is steddora.

Edit: Check the ranking and view the overclocking section and you will see him in #1st place.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 6:53:58 PM

Most games are not CPU limited and for those that are, the fx-6300 is no worse than the the i3-3220, which is often recommended as a great gaming processor. fx-6300 is the next best thing to an i5.

Yes the i5's are better, but they are also 50% more expensive. fx-6300 is unlocked for overclocking, too, while i3's and most i5's are not.

It was not a poor choice.
m
l
December 16, 2012 7:02:23 PM

Sure will thanks SF and thank you twelve25 for the vote of confidence in my CPU decision
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 8:46:16 PM

Your CPU will drop into that motherboard just fine. I wouldn't worry about that at all. I AM going to suggest you go learn all about thermal paste application. Google is your best friend here. The basic thing though is make sure you try it before you complete the installation of the heatsink. Try an application of a little paste and slap it together. Rotate the heatsink a tad while applying a little pressure and hold it down like it was mounted. Then pull it off and make sure the thermal paste covered at least 90% of the processor. If you at least get that, you'll be fine though I prefer 100%. After you pull it apart use isopropyl alcohol 70% or higher and a lint-free cloth/coffee filter to clean the paste off. ALWAYS clean the CPU and Heatsink base before reinstalling. Once you put the heatsink on the CPU with the paste, it stays. If you pull it off, you have to replace the thermal paste no matter what you do.

That processor will be FINE for what you're doing. Heck, it will play BF3 without too much of an issue and WOW is definitely not going to torture that CPU as much as BF3 in a full multiplayer game. So don't worry much about that processor being a lacking factor. Overclocking it will help a little, but you will probably be happy with the results as is in the games you listed.

That video card will run everything you can imagine at 1920x1080. The 7850 is not a weakling as some might have told you before. It's the first card I recommend for 1080p gaming. It might not run every game at max settings with full MSAA at 60FPS, but it will run with decent settings at 60FPS.

For the price I see you've spent, you did great for a budget gaming box. You spent less than I would have on a 3770k and mobo and you got a CPU/MOBO/GPU/RAM. So don't feel like you aren't going to be happy.

One thing I will say, Twelve hit the nail on the head. The CPU you purchased is the almost identical in performance with the i3-3220 aside from the core/hyperthreading.

Believe it or not, the one downside I've ever had with any system holding an i3 with HT is the HT. The dual core with HT is a "logical" quad core. However with only two cores, having four threads can be bad for games that are optimized for quad core. This causes both cores to be hit harder than they should and you'll actually see bottlenecks on them with HT on when compared to having HT disabled. It's never "heavy" bottlenecking but it's there as the processor just gets "owned" by all the data rolling through it. Your processor however has six physical cores. This means there's six threads that are able to be utilized at once and will actually bring the performance above the 3220 in some games/applications. You have a GREAT AMD CPU and it was a wise choice my friend.

Your system is going to be perfect for you, trust me. You saved a LOT over an i5 based gaming machine and you got an unlocked multiplier to boot. So if you do feel the urge later on to take that processor to 4.5Ghz or so, you have an easy path and that motherboard you chose was an excellent choice to do just that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 9:05:31 PM

^ and this here is my friend, steddora. He is quite the expert when it comes to overclocking, knows much more than I do :lol: 
m
l
December 19, 2012 6:05:50 PM

Hey fellas, sorry for barging in but the talk here seems pretty encouraging!

I'm currently tied up about choosing either an i3-3220 or FX-4300 for my budget gaming and video-editing build. From what I'm seeing here, it seems I'm headed on the right track, since I've been lately leaning towards the AMD side. I haven't bought anything yet, just gathering facts and opinions... but this thread here seems promising :) 

Does anyone have any opinions on the ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard? Will it allow for a good overclock on the FX-4300 along with a CM Hyper 212?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 6:16:43 PM

Forde3654Eire said:

I'm currently tied up about choosing either an i3-3220 or FX-4300 for my budget gaming and video-editing build. From what I'm seeing here, it seems I'm headed on the right track, since I've been lately leaning towards the AMD side. I haven't bought anything yet, just gathering facts and opinions... but this thread here seems promising :) 

Does anyone have any opinions on the ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard? Will it allow for a good overclock on the FX-4300 along with a CM Hyper 212?

I'll send you a private message regarding your question, you should receive it in a few minutes. Next time do try and make your own thread, I don't mind it but others wont take kindly to taking another person's thread :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 7:57:11 PM

Forde3654Eire said:

Based on current pricing, there is no reason to get a 4300. For only $10-20 more than the 4300 or i3 you can get the 6300. You will really, really appreciate the 6 cores for video editing. You may see up to 50% better rendering times with those 2 additional cores of the 4300. Gaming performance will be similar among all 3 chips, but you will be kicking yourself for not just spending the extra ($10 on newegg) for the 6300.

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 8:18:58 PM

twelve25 said:
Based on current pricing, there is no reason to get a 4300. For only $10-20 more than the 4300 or i3 you can get the 6300. You will really, really appreciate the 6 cores for video editing. You may see up to 50% better rendering times with those 2 additional cores of the 4300. Gaming performance will be similar among all 3 chips, but you will be kicking yourself for not just spending the extra ($10 on newegg) for the 6300.

He told me in a private message:
"Due to my geographical location, Saudi Arabia, prices are different unfortunately. My AMD vendor just informed me that they will be receiving the FX-6300, with a price of $175. Its quite likely that the price of the FX-4300 will be $129, same as US prices. Anything over 4 cores here is greatly overpriced, just because its a hexa-core or octa-core."

That being said, I told him to stick with the FX-4300, that's quite the price gap...
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 9:50:08 PM

Yikes. I agree with you at those prices. It's easy to forget different markets have different pricing.

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 19, 2012 10:00:50 PM

twelve25 said:
Yikes. I agree with you at those prices. It's easy to forget different markets have different pricing.

Funny thing was I told him as well to grab the FX-6300 because of the minimal price difference in North America and then he told me this and I was shocked :lol: 
m
l
!