Open With.. functionality doesn't fully work

bluescreens

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

I'm in a domain environment. I have two machines that both have the
same GPOs applying against them, so it appears this isn't a GPO issue.
The machines are XP SP1. I'm logged in as the same user on both
machines.

Doing a GPRESULT /Z on both machines and comparing the results doesn't
show major differences.

On one machine, Open With functionality works normally - if I have a
..TXT file and choose to associate it with 555.exe via Open With /
Choose / Browse / and picking 555.exe, 555.exe will appear on the full
Open With menu (detailing Recommended programs and Other programs). I
can then successfully use 555.exe to open the textfile, I can click on
"Always use..." and all is well.

On another, Open With functionality does not work correctly - if I have
a .TXT file and click Open With, Choose Program..., Browse, select
555.exe, and then I go back to the "Open With" GUI menu, I see a list
of programs that does not include 555.exe. That's the problem - it
should add 555.exe to that list!

Any ideas? Does anyone have any guesses for what would cause this? Is
there a policy to lock down open-with functionality and or the full
file associations tab in XP?

Help! :)

bluescreens

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

Hi Rames, etc.

I left out some critical information:
1. On the machine that works always, I can add 555.exe to the Open
With list as a user or as an administrator.
2. On the machine that I said "doesn't work", I can add 555.exe to the
Open With list as an administrator, but not as a user. I've tried
multiple user-accounts - same problem.

I didn't make that clear in my first post; I apologize.

HKCR/U/S/o/c shows:
(default) Reg_Expand_SZ %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

(on one line.)

Any ideas? Again, my rights are exactly the same (same user, same
domain) on both machines; why would behavior be different?

Hi Bluescreens,

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command

In the right-pane, double-click (default) and copy the data assigned.

Post the info here.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Bluescreens" <bluescreens@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm in a domain environment. I have two machines that both have the
> same GPOs applying against them, so it appears this isn't a GPO issue.
> The machines are XP SP1. I'm logged in as the same user on both
> machines.
>
> Doing a GPRESULT /Z on both machines and comparing the results doesn't
> show major differences.
>
> On one machine, Open With functionality works normally - if I have a
> .TXT file and choose to associate it with 555.exe via Open With /
> Choose / Browse / and picking 555.exe, 555.exe will appear on the full
> Open With menu (detailing Recommended programs and Other programs). I
> can then successfully use 555.exe to open the textfile, I can click on
> "Always use..." and all is well.
>
> On another, Open With functionality does not work correctly - if I have
> a .TXT file and click Open With, Choose Program..., Browse, select
> 555.exe, and then I go back to the "Open With" GUI menu, I see a list
> of programs that does not include 555.exe. That's the problem - it
> should add 555.exe to that list!
>
> Any ideas? Does anyone have any guesses for what would cause this? Is
> there a policy to lock down open-with functionality and or the full
> file associations tab in XP?
>
> Help! :)

Hi Bluescreens,

Is the regvalue that you posted from the machine that "doesn't work" ? BTW,
the value is correctly set.

>> I can add 555.exe to the Open With list as an administrator, but not as a
>> user

Are you're referring to the dynamic Open-with list (cascading menu) or the
"Choose Programs" dialog?

If the subject computer, see if there the 555.exe entry exists under
"Applications"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\555.exe\shell\open\command

And make sure that the "NoOpenWith" value does not exist in these keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\555.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\555.exe (may not exist)

--

> Hi Rames, etc.
>
> I left out some critical information:
> 1. On the machine that works always, I can add 555.exe to the Open
> With list as a user or as an administrator.
> 2. On the machine that I said "doesn't work", I can add 555.exe to the
> Open With list as an administrator, but not as a user. I've tried
> multiple user-accounts - same problem.
>
> I didn't make that clear in my first post; I apologize.
>
> HKCR/U/S/o/c shows:
> (default) Reg_Expand_SZ %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
> %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1
>
> (on one line.)
>
> Any ideas? Again, my rights are exactly the same (same user, same
> domain) on both machines; why would behavior be different?

bluescreens

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

>Is the regvalue that you posted from the machine that "doesn't work" ?
BTW,
>the value is correctly set.

Yes, the regvalue I posted is from a machine that doesn't work. In
other words, logged in as admin, everything works, but logged in as
user, it does not work. I cannot change the menu that results from
selecting Open With ... and Choose Programs.

> Are you're referring to the dynamic Open-with list (cascading menu)
or the
>"Choose Programs" dialog?

The "Choose Programs" dialog, a fairly large menu listing half a dozen,
or more, applications that could concievably open the .txt file I'm
selecting.

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cl­asses\Applications\555.exe\she­ll\open\command

There is no such key. Under Applications I do not see a 555.exe key
while logged in as an administrator. If I log in as admin and then
make the change (add 555.exe to the Choose Programs menu), that key
still is not present, so I question the validity of that key in
determining what appears in Choose Programs.

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cl­asses\Applications\555.exe

Does not exist, as noted.

>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cla­sses\Applications\555.exe (may not
exist)

It *does* exist here!

Here's some interesting data:

On the bad machine, here's HKCU....\Applications perms in the registry:

Administrators (Full)
RESTRICTED (Read)
S-1-5-21-299502267-.... (A long SID) - (Full)
System (Full)

On a 'good' machine, here's Applications perms in the registry:

Administrators (full)
RESTRICTED (Read)
(the currently logged in user) - (Full)
System (Full)

So, for some reason, the current user's account's SID isn't resolving
correctly, and so it's not working. The Admin account isn't being hit
by this since it's a part of Local Administrators group, which has full
permissions anyway, so the SID issue isn't an issue for that account -
only for the user account, which has no special permissions other than
that given straight to his own SID....which doesn't seem to resolve
correctly to a real user account.

So....why would, on some machines (and bear in mind it's not just one)
is this happening? Why are perms on that key messed up?

Thanks for all of your help in pinpointing that key, Ramesh!

bluescreens

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

Ramesh,

That worked, but it doesn't accomplish the objective, which is to allow
users to add whatever files they want to the Open With menu and make
other file associations.

However, the information you've provided is invaluable. It seems the
permissions on that particular key (HKCU/Software/Classes) are becoming
munged at some point in time, so I'll take a look at that - perhaps do
some regmon work to see exactly where in the build process this is
happening.

Thanks again - and if you can think of any common reason why that HKCU
key's permissions are getting munged, please let me know.

Thanks! I really appreciate your time and efforts in this forum.

David

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> [...]

bluescreens

Distinguished
May 3, 2005

Ramesh,

That worked, but it doesn't accomplish the objective, which is to allow
users to add whatever files they want to the Open With menu and make
other file associations.

However, the information you've provided is invaluable. It seems the
permissions on that particular key (HKCU/Software/Classes) are becoming
munged at some point in time, so I'll take a look at that - perhaps do
some regmon work to see exactly where in the build process this is
happening.

Thanks again - and if you can think of any common reason why that HKCU
key's permissions are getting munged, please let me know.

Thanks! I really appreciate your time and efforts in this forum.

BS

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> [...]

> On a 'good' machine, here's Applications perms in the registry:
>
> Administrators (full)
> RESTRICTED (Read)
> (the currently logged in user) - (Full)
> System (Full)
>
> So, for some reason, the current user's account's SID isn't resolving
> correctly, and so it's not working. The Admin account isn't being hit
> by this since it's a part of Local Administrators group, which has full
> permissions anyway, so the SID issue isn't an issue for that account -
> only for the user account, which has no special permissions other than
> that given straight to his own SID....which doesn't seem to resolve
> correctly to a real user account.
>
> So....why would, on some machines (and bear in mind it's not just one)
> is this happening? Why are perms on that key messed up?
>
> Thanks for all of your help in pinpointing that key, Ramesh!

You're welcome BS. Yes, the <SID> issue seems to be the root-cause, and
shall post back if I find anything.