Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is 3d worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 12, 2012 12:34:55 AM

Question to the gaming community, is 3d worth an upgrade for gaming?

More about : worth

a c 115 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
June 12, 2012 12:38:59 AM

no
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 12:44:08 AM

@Pinhedd - Maybe not to you

@mmilner1 - It varies person to person, for me it IS worth it. For pinhedd it isn't. Your best bet would be to go to a electronics store and try it out yourself. See if you like it, and if it gives you a headache or not. It is all up to personal preference.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 12:53:12 AM

I do have 3D Vision and I like it a lot!
Score
0
June 12, 2012 2:07:52 AM

I have 3D vision and it works really well. There is a catch though, you need to give yourself at least a week of use before you get comfortable with it. It's not something that you can get comfortable with in a 15min demo, it takes time but eventually you'll end up loving it.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
June 12, 2012 2:26:46 AM

Are you willing to drop the cash?
Score
0
June 14, 2012 8:13:09 PM

kajabla said:
Are you willing to drop the cash?


Good question, I have been saving some money out of my checks for about a year now, for the past 15 years it seems I've been on a cycle of rebuilding my computer because of new technology, I now sit with a 6950 (recent upgrade), I7-950 and an OCZ SSD (huge speed upgrade). Ivy Bridge just has left me a little disappointed and just can't see the added value of spending the $1600.00 I've saved up, there are plenty of things that I'm looking at now and even thought of another 6950 and 3 monitors but wanted to entertain the thought of 3d.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 115 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
June 14, 2012 9:02:11 PM

mmilner1 said:
Good question, I have been saving some money out of my checks for about a year now, for the past 15 years it seems I've been on a cycle of rebuilding my computer because of new technology, I now sit with a 6950 (recent upgrade), I7-950 and an OCZ SSD (huge speed upgrade). Ivy Bridge just has left me a little disappointed and just can't see the added value of spending the $1600.00 I've saved up, there are plenty of things that I'm looking at now and even thought of another 6950 and 3 monitors but wanted to entertain the thought of 3d.


The display market is very mature right now. A high quality 27 inch 1080p LED monitor manufactured by Samsung can be had for as little as $350 dollars. At this rate, an investment like that will survive your current computer and quite possibly the next one. Prices naturally go up as you approach 30 inch viewing areas and 2560x1600 resolutions but again, not much has changed in the past few years. Prior to the monitor I have now I was using a 21 inch CRT from the year 2001 that could display 2048x1536 and when I replaced it in 2011 it was still sharper than most LCDs, it lasted 10 years.

So, keeping this maturity in mind, display manufacturers are in a tight spot. They have little to add to the market that consumers feel justifies an investment, thus they're forced to add value. Card readers, USB hubs, colour profiles that you'll never use, imaging engines which make things blurry, firmware based media playback, LED lighting instead of CCFL. The only thing they've been able to add that would justify a new investment is 3D.

The movie industry has been playing with 3D for a while now and has mostly been met with luke warm responses. It's too hard to film a movie for both a 3D and traditional 2D screen, one is going to look cheap and garner bad reviews which drags them both down. 3D games on the other hand don't seem to have this same problem. From what I've seen and heard the production value of 3D gaming as presented by AAA titles like Crysis 2 is quite nice. Unfortunately 3D still seems to be restricted to 1080p LCD/LED monitors, no 30 inch IPS panels yet. I would much rather game at high resolution with terrific colour reproduction all the time rather than enjoy decent 3D some of the time.

Just my two cents
Share
June 14, 2012 11:45:47 PM

Pinhedd said:
The display market is very mature right now. A high quality 27 inch 1080p LED monitor manufactured by Samsung can be had for as little as $350 dollars. At this rate, an investment like that will survive your current computer and quite possibly the next one. Prices naturally go up as you approach 30 inch viewing areas and 2560x1600 resolutions but again, not much has changed in the past few years. Prior to the monitor I have now I was using a 21 inch CRT from the year 2001 that could display 2048x1536 and when I replaced it in 2011 it was still sharper than most LCDs, it lasted 10 years.

So, keeping this maturity in mind, display manufacturers are in a tight spot. They have little to add to the market that consumers feel justifies an investment, thus they're forced to add value. Card readers, USB hubs, colour profiles that you'll never use, imaging engines which make things blurry, firmware based media playback, LED lighting instead of CCFL. The only thing they've been able to add that would justify a new investment is 3D.

The movie industry has been playing with 3D for a while now and has mostly been met with luke warm responses. It's too hard to film a movie for both a 3D and traditional 2D screen, one is going to look cheap and garner bad reviews which drags them both down. 3D games on the other hand don't seem to have this same problem. From what I've seen and heard the production value of 3D gaming as presented by AAA titles like Crysis 2 is quite nice. Unfortunately 3D still seems to be restricted to 1080p LCD/LED monitors, no 30 inch IPS panels yet. I would much rather game at high resolution with terrific colour reproduction all the time rather than enjoy decent 3D some of the time.

Just my two cents


From everything I've read the 120hz is worth it in every way even if you don't enjoy the 3d. But looking at the better quality 3d monitors it seems obvious to be closing in on the 500 - 600 dollar mark. For that price I can have 3 to quality monitor and another 6950 for cross-fire. So that is a big reason why I've presented the question. Is 3d better than a 3 monitor config.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
June 15, 2012 12:01:59 AM

There's definitely no answer for that one. If you can, try both. If not, you'll just have to decide which you value more. Flip a coin if you like.
Score
0
June 15, 2012 12:21:01 AM

kajabla said:
There's definitely no answer for that one. If you can, try both. If not, you'll just have to decide which you value more. Flip a coin if you like.


I was kind of leaning towards the 3 monitor but was curious from some experienced gamers if they were in love with the 3d gaming but really appreciate everyones feedback.
Score
0
June 15, 2012 2:05:14 AM

i have 3 monitors and 3D vision and yes it is very very nice when i was 1st using it!

BUT..

The glasses have collected a lot of dust as of late

but everyone is different, if you want it. Go for it bro
Score
0
June 15, 2012 12:11:43 PM

Zijn said:
i have 3 monitors and 3D vision and yes it is very very nice when i was 1st using it!

BUT..

The glasses have collected a lot of dust as of late

but everyone is different, if you want it. Go for it bro


lol thats pretty much what I think will happen. Going to watch a 3d movie is already irritating to wear those glasses for almost 2 hours, I can't even imagine 5 hours of gaming. Is the 120hz worth it though?
Score
0
August 17, 2012 5:48:30 PM

Best answer selected by mmilner1.
Score
0
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2012 6:00:35 PM

mmilner1 said:
lol thats pretty much what I think will happen. Going to watch a 3d movie is already irritating to wear those glasses for almost 2 hours, I can't even imagine 5 hours of gaming. Is the 120hz worth it though?


I personally bought my monitor to get 120hz, but figured I should also make sure it supported 3D to experiment with. It turns out that I love 3D gaming. A year ago, I'd play all games in 3D if it was supported at all, but lately, I do find that strategy games, like Civ 5, I sometimes go without, but that is more due to the game not being a visual game, and more of a strategy game.

120hz is also pretty handy for 1st person shooters. Tracking targets is a tiny bit easier, and smoother. Fast turns are also smoother.

Another thing about gaming in general is that about half the population experiences simulator sickness to some degree (USAF study). I find this is primarily true only with 1st person or over the shoulder games. The symptoms are the same as motion sickness for most if not all, which for me, means nausea, others get headaches or eye strain. I have found that it's worse the lower your FPS are. I found that at 30-40 FPS, I can barely game more than a few minutes without getting sick (I used to push through and eventually get a little used to the nausea), at 60 FPS I can last 30-45 mins. At 80-90 FPS it goes away completely. Having a 120hz monitor lets me play and not get nauseated. Unfortunately, 3D Vision requires me to take breaks at about 30-45 mins.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2012 7:20:15 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!