Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire Question regarding MOBO (Dual x16, x16/x8)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2012 12:47:13 AM

I'm currently working on a build and I wanted to have a multi-gpu setup using crossfire. My MOBO's details shows the only setup I can have on my only 2 pci-e x16 slots is a x16 and x8. I don't understand, why does my second slot degrade to a x8? Does this mean I have to look for a 3.0 x8 graphics card that fits x16 slot? I'm sure there is a simple answer to my question. Thank you for taking the time.
Here is the MOBO im looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 3:01:14 AM

No you don't have to go looking for a x8 card. Any x16 slot will fit a x16 card but the speed is reduced to x8 in CF mode. This is due to the limited bandwidth on the system bus but it will not greatly impact your performance.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 3:32:31 AM

+1^

That is correct. If you were to buy a x8 card you will not have the same performance as the card that is x16, there may be problems with crossfire if that were to happen.
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 3:47:16 AM

Their's almost no performance degradation going from a 16x slot to a 8x slot.Don't worry about it.

What kind of cards were you thinking of getting for crossfire?

Are you going to be using a Ivy Bridge CPU with this new build?

You might want to consider this as well...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 6:34:54 AM

purple stank said:
Their's almost no performance degradation going from a 16x slot to a 8x slot.Don't worry about it.

+ 1
And in real world performance, there's no difference between PCIE 3.0 and PCIE 2.0
Here's a chart shows scaling of Top end graphics cards in several PCIE generations and modes, the only performance hit you get if you connect your card in a X4 rated slot.

And like Purple said and going to say, are you going to use IB? Those chips get hot @ higher overclocks, SB offers the same performance with better cooling.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 6:47:45 AM

I've tried the 16x/8x it didn't work fairly well for my crossfire. Maybe, it only happened to me.
m
l
!