HELP!!! Special Folders Disapeared from Start Menu

May 3, 2005 2:31:16 PM

Hi,

I just finished a clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005. Everything seem ok.
however then I hanged the location of MyMusic, MyPictures, MyVideo and
MyDocuments folders using "Tweak UI" because I have external disks to hold
all of my media files.

windows did refresh the Start menu and updated it with the correct paths.
however this morning when I booted up, the My Music, My Pictures and My Video
disapeared from the start menu and I can't even see them listed in the
"special folders" section in "Tweak UI".

Anybody ran into anything like this? any ideas how can I bring them back?

Thanks
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:11:02 PM

Are the external disks connected?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just finished a clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005. Everything seem
> ok.
> however then I hanged the location of MyMusic, MyPictures, MyVideo and
> MyDocuments folders using "Tweak UI" because I have external disks to hold
> all of my media files.
>
> windows did refresh the Start menu and updated it with the correct paths.
> however this morning when I booted up, the My Music, My Pictures and My
> Video
> disapeared from the start menu and I can't even see them listed in the
> "special folders" section in "Tweak UI".
>
> Anybody ran into anything like this? any ideas how can I bring them back?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:11:03 PM

Yes they are connected.

In addition I observed the following:

I did change the drive letters of the 2 external drives in the Disk
Management tool, prior to the disapearance. When I changed them back to the
original drive letters, the special folders came back to the start menu,
however now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder.

This is very strange. Any more ideas?

Thanks

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Are the external disks connected?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just finished a clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005. Everything seem
> > ok.
> > however then I hanged the location of MyMusic, MyPictures, MyVideo and
> > MyDocuments folders using "Tweak UI" because I have external disks to hold
> > all of my media files.
> >
> > windows did refresh the Start menu and updated it with the correct paths.
> > however this morning when I booted up, the My Music, My Pictures and My
> > Video
> > disapeared from the start menu and I can't even see them listed in the
> > "special folders" section in "Tweak UI".
> >
> > Anybody ran into anything like this? any ideas how can I bring them back?
> >
> > Thanks

May 5, 2005 3:00:10 AM

Manta2005,

If you've changed the drive-letter after the folder was redirected, the
registry will contain the old drive-letter for the Shell Folder that you
relocated. So, you need to change the drive-letter first (before relocating
the Shell Folder)

>> now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder

Are you referring to the "Files Stored on this computer" section? Check the
registry setting here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

Fix the path for your My Documents folder.

--

> Yes they are connected.
>
> In addition I observed the following:
>
> I did change the drive letters of the 2 external drives in the Disk
> Management tool, prior to the disapearance. When I changed them back to
> the
> original drive letters, the special folders came back to the start menu,
> however now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder.
>
> This is very strange. Any more ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Are the external disks connected?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just finished a clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005. Everything seem
>> > ok.
>> > however then I hanged the location of MyMusic, MyPictures, MyVideo and
>> > MyDocuments folders using "Tweak UI" because I have external disks to
>> > hold
>> > all of my media files.
>> >
>> > windows did refresh the Start menu and updated it with the correct
>> > paths.
>> > however this morning when I booted up, the My Music, My Pictures and My
>> > Video
>> > disapeared from the start menu and I can't even see them listed in the
>> > "special folders" section in "Tweak UI".
>> >
>> > Anybody ran into anything like this? any ideas how can I bring them
>> > back?
>> >
>> > Thanks

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:12:07 PM

Thanks. you were right on the money :o )

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:46:58 AM

You're very welcome :-)

--