HELP!!! Special Folders Disapeared from Start Menu

Hi,

I just finished a clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005. Everything seem ok.
however then I hanged the location of MyMusic, MyPictures, MyVideo and
MyDocuments folders using "Tweak UI" because I have external disks to hold
all of my media files.

windows did refresh the Start menu and updated it with the correct paths.
however this morning when I booted up, the My Music, My Pictures and My Video
disapeared from the start menu and I can't even see them listed in the
"special folders" section in "Tweak UI".

Anybody ran into anything like this? any ideas how can I bring them back?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about help special folders disapeared start menu

    Are the external disks connected?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just finished a clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005. Everything seem
    > ok.
    > however then I hanged the location of MyMusic, MyPictures, MyVideo and
    > MyDocuments folders using "Tweak UI" because I have external disks to hold
    > all of my media files.
    >
    > windows did refresh the Start menu and updated it with the correct paths.
    > however this morning when I booted up, the My Music, My Pictures and My
    > Video
    > disapeared from the start menu and I can't even see them listed in the
    > "special folders" section in "Tweak UI".
    >
    > Anybody ran into anything like this? any ideas how can I bring them back?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes they are connected.

    In addition I observed the following:

    I did change the drive letters of the 2 external drives in the Disk
    Management tool, prior to the disapearance. When I changed them back to the
    original drive letters, the special folders came back to the start menu,
    however now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder.

    This is very strange. Any more ideas?

    Thanks

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Are the external disks connected?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I just finished a clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005. Everything seem
    > > ok.
    > > however then I hanged the location of MyMusic, MyPictures, MyVideo and
    > > MyDocuments folders using "Tweak UI" because I have external disks to hold
    > > all of my media files.
    > >
    > > windows did refresh the Start menu and updated it with the correct paths.
    > > however this morning when I booted up, the My Music, My Pictures and My
    > > Video
    > > disapeared from the start menu and I can't even see them listed in the
    > > "special folders" section in "Tweak UI".
    > >
    > > Anybody ran into anything like this? any ideas how can I bring them back?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Manta2005,

    If you've changed the drive-letter after the folder was redirected, the
    registry will contain the old drive-letter for the Shell Folder that you
    relocated. So, you need to change the drive-letter first (before relocating
    the Shell Folder)

    >> now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder

    Are you referring to the "Files Stored on this computer" section? Check the
    registry setting here:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

    Fix the path for your My Documents folder.

    --

    > Yes they are connected.
    >
    > In addition I observed the following:
    >
    > I did change the drive letters of the 2 external drives in the Disk
    > Management tool, prior to the disapearance. When I changed them back to
    > the
    > original drive letters, the special folders came back to the start menu,
    > however now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder.
    >
    > This is very strange. Any more ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Are the external disks connected?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I just finished a clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005. Everything seem
    >> > ok.
    >> > however then I hanged the location of MyMusic, MyPictures, MyVideo and
    >> > MyDocuments folders using "Tweak UI" because I have external disks to
    >> > hold
    >> > all of my media files.
    >> >
    >> > windows did refresh the Start menu and updated it with the correct
    >> > paths.
    >> > however this morning when I booted up, the My Music, My Pictures and My
    >> > Video
    >> > disapeared from the start menu and I can't even see them listed in the
    >> > "special folders" section in "Tweak UI".
    >> >
    >> > Anybody ran into anything like this? any ideas how can I bring them
    >> > back?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    Thanks. you were right on the money :o)

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Manta2005,
    >
    > If you've changed the drive-letter after the folder was redirected, the
    > registry will contain the old drive-letter for the Shell Folder that you
    > relocated. So, you need to change the drive-letter first (before relocating
    > the Shell Folder)
    >
    > >> now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder
    >
    > Are you referring to the "Files Stored on this computer" section? Check the
    > registry setting here:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
    >
    > Fix the path for your My Documents folder.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Yes they are connected.
    > >
    > > In addition I observed the following:
    > >
    > > I did change the drive letters of the 2 external drives in the Disk
    > > Management tool, prior to the disapearance. When I changed them back to
    > > the
    > > original drive letters, the special folders came back to the start menu,
    > > however now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder.
    > >
    > > This is very strange. Any more ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are the external disks connected?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You're very welcome :-)

    --

    > Thanks. you were right on the money :o)
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Manta2005,
    >>
    >> If you've changed the drive-letter after the folder was redirected, the
    >> registry will contain the old drive-letter for the Shell Folder that you
    >> relocated. So, you need to change the drive-letter first (before
    >> relocating
    >> the Shell Folder)

    >> Are you referring to the "Files Stored on this computer" section? Check
    >> the
    >> registry setting here:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
    >>
    >> Fix the path for your My Documents folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Manta2005" <Manta2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Yes they are connected.
    >> >
    >> > In addition I observed the following:
    >> >
    >> > I did change the drive letters of the 2 external drives in the Disk
    >> > Management tool, prior to the disapearance. When I changed them back to
    >> > the
    >> > original drive letters, the special folders came back to the start
    >> > menu,
    >> > however now I can't see them in "My Computer" folder.
    >> >
    >> > This is very strange. Any more ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

Configuration Start Menu Customization Clean Install Microsoft Windows XP