Sign in with
Your question

[CPU Issues]

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2012 10:33:03 PM

I have been experiencing an extremely annoying problem for over a year now. My build runs games high-max settings no problem in most occasions. The problem is, however, that after about 30 minutes of gaming, my cpu temperatures jumo from around 40C to 105C and my FPS nearly comes to a halt. This issue made me purchase a new cpu, cpu fan, mobo, and psu at different times thinking that was somehow the problem. However, the issue continues to persist. I have used multiple tempurature reading programs so that isnt the issue. Someone give me the one gift I've wanted for a long time now. All I want for Christmas is the know why the $#%! my computer is dysfunctional after dumping so much money into it.

More about : cpu issues

a c 105 à CPUs
December 16, 2012 10:38:17 PM

Okay, complete build specs would be a good start here I think. A list of your changes and troubleshooting attempts may help prevent repeated ideas.
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 10:51:54 PM

You could run a MemCheck, it doesn't seem like a memory problem but it's the only thing left, and you wouldn't believe the weird problems RAM could cause (as my one friend has found out before).
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 10:59:12 PM

Get good thermal paste, apply it correctly, and reseat the HSF correctly?
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 11:34:06 PM

Without overclock your CPU should not go over 67.4C, which is the max temp recommended by the manufacturer.

Tjmax for your CPU is 105C, which is the point the CPU automatically throttles and shuts down itself.

I´d check the CPU water cooler system -- see if it is properly set, and thermal paste is correctly applied. Make sure your case has a good air flow.

Also have a look at the Bios and see if the CPU voltages are set to normal -- you can set the bios to its default settings, if you are not sure.
a c 134 à CPUs
December 16, 2012 11:41:53 PM

Well you've changed everything .. except the case and the case location it seems.
December 17, 2012 12:21:03 AM

jemm said:
Without overclock your CPU should not go over 67.4C, which is the max temp recommended by the manufacturer.

Tjmax for your CPU is 105C, which is the point the CPU automatically throttles and shuts down itself.

I´d check the CPU water cooler system -- see if it is properly set, and thermal paste is correctly applied. Make sure your case has a good air flow.

Also have a look at the Bios and see if the CPU voltages are set to normal -- you can set the bios to its default settings, if you are not sure.

The temperature hovers around 105C, but never turns itself off for whatever reason.

Ive reapplied tp and reseated my cooler numerous times.

Ive reset to factory defaults numerous times
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 12:39:53 AM

You said you "have used multiple temperature reading programs" -- I hope you are not running them at the same time, as one can confuses the other.

Anyway 105C is definitively not normal -- so it is possible you´ve got a faulty CPU -- you still can RMA it.
December 17, 2012 12:44:49 AM

jemm said:
You said you "have used multiple temperature reading programs" -- I hope you are not running them at the same time, as one can confuses the other.

Anyway 105C is definitively not normal -- so it is possible you´ve got a faulty CPU -- you still can RMA it.

No I'm not.

The issue still remains after changing out CPUs
a c 105 à CPUs
December 17, 2012 2:10:58 AM

How is your airflow around your case? 4" clearance all sides? Not locked in drawer/cabinet/closet?
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 2:21:31 AM

maybe the cpu cooler stops running after some time? that only could explain sudden increase in temperature. try an aftermarket cooler. maybe the stock cooler is faulty
December 17, 2012 2:30:42 AM

Airflow is fine and I have 5 fans.... Even have been taking off the sides and blowing industrial fans in....

I do have an aftermarket cooler... I had the scythe mugen 2 and thought the problem was with that and I changed it for the Corsair H60 which I have now.
December 18, 2012 2:42:26 AM

jemm said:

I understand it isnt normal but ive had the same issue after two different cpus
a c 134 à CPUs
December 18, 2012 10:49:37 PM

Hmmm. you've changed out the motherbd, cpu, cooler, gpu, power supply, and the case.
Its not airflow as you have the sides off and industrial fans blowing in....

Tell your wife to stop turning the heat upto 100 <grrrr>

Honestly I'm at a loss except for it being a virus or bot. Install a firewall and Disconnect the internet and play a standalone game.
December 19, 2012 6:04:45 PM

popatim said:
Hmmm. you've changed out the motherbd, cpu, cooler, gpu, power supply, and the case.

Honestly I'm at a loss except for it being a virus or bot. Install a firewall and Disconnect the internet and play a standalone game.

Would reinstalling windows take care of the issue?
December 19, 2012 6:08:03 PM

popatim said:

Or if my issue doesn't happen when disconnected, what should i do
December 19, 2012 6:25:29 PM

Played offlie with firewall for about 10 minutes.... then fps dropped to around 2 and checked the temp.... yep 105C
a c 134 à CPUs
December 19, 2012 7:36:54 PM

lets see a picture of the interior of your case please.
December 21, 2012 10:18:14 PM

popatim said:
lets see a picture of the interior of your case please.

anything?
a c 105 à CPUs
December 21, 2012 11:12:42 PM

The inside looks good, no airflow issues are obvious from your picture. I'm thoroughly stumped here. The only thing I can think of would be to reinstall windows but I don't see how it'll help. It is something to try so why not
December 22, 2012 2:58:33 AM

C12Friedman said:
The inside looks good, no airflow issues are obvious from your picture. I'm thoroughly stumped here. The only thing I can think of would be to reinstall windows but I don't see how it'll help. It is something to try so why not

zzzzzz i almost seem to get the rarest issues
!