Suggestions on PSU for upgrading my rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacely11

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
I've read a lot that choosing the right PSU is important and these PSU calculators online aren't always the most reliable source for information so I thought I'd ask you guys. I'm getting a new case and video card and would like to know what you guys think would be the best, most cost efficient, best performance PSU for my needs:

CPU: AMD FX-8120
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3
New GPU: Radeon HD 7950 (looking at different ones, most likely going to get the MSI Twin Frozer or Gigabytes one)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
New Case: NZXT Phantom 410
DVD-RW Optical Drive

Thank you for the help

Solution
750w is like the safe zone for running most two GPU setups (it'll do two 7950's for sure). I've always been told and always tell people that you want to buy more than you think you need for PSU's in particular.

I've never used a modular PSU, you can always route cables out of the way with some time, but I never have, I just shove them behind the HDD bays and load up on PC fans and let them run like crazy. I'm not sure how much of a difference in temp cables make but I'm not even close to having to worry about heat in my lower-mid end gaming rig.

mace200200

Honorable
The builders series is good if your on a budget, they use cheaper capacitors though. Since your have a pretty decent CPU, I would seriously consider spending a bunch of money on a nicer PSU that will last you for a long long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027 (I really like PC Power and Cooling units but, these Rosewill units are more efficent for the same price, you just not getting as high quality components)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073

spacely11

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys

Also what if I plan to crossfire in the future and want to use the same PSU? What would be suggestions for that too?

Right now I have a Rosewill Green Series 530W and it tends to not power up my system fully from time to time. Right now I also have a Powercolor HD 6850, however when it does it never does fail.

Forgot to mention also looking for the PSU to be modular as that's another issue with my current PSU and my Mid tower case, way too many cables

mace200200

Honorable
750w is like the safe zone for running most two GPU setups (it'll do two 7950's for sure). I've always been told and always tell people that you want to buy more than you think you need for PSU's in particular.

I've never used a modular PSU, you can always route cables out of the way with some time, but I never have, I just shove them behind the HDD bays and load up on PC fans and let them run like crazy. I'm not sure how much of a difference in temp cables make but I'm not even close to having to worry about heat in my lower-mid end gaming rig.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.