Choosing a 680! Evga FTW or galaxy soc white edition

SMG_07

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hello :hello:

so a bit of a back story, i ordered an asus 680 directCU II top from ncix more than a month ago and they don't know when the cards will arrive and i have gotten sick of waiting, so exploring other options lead this these cards here

-EVGA 680 FTW 2gb
-Galaxy 680 Soc White Edition

those 2 cards are the main thing i wanna get , I'm just concerned about how well made is the galaxy and is the SOC a good card or not , EVGA is just awesome but it seems very stock to be honest (yes i am a clueless moron but please tell me why those cards are good , i dont see why evga ftw is different than then normal one)
if i were to order the evga i would have to wait 2 weeks to get it from ontario but the galaxy is available to get from here

also i should mention the other cards available just in case they're a better option
- GigabyteGTX 680 OC windforce
-MSI 680 Twin Frozr III OC

Solution

Normal reference edition idles 34C and loads 78C, for the OCed FTW you can expect it to load @ 80C.
GTX-680-SC-87.jpg
Hello & Welcome.
There are no reviews out there for the Galaxy SOC, but according to specs it provides the highest OC settings out of the box and a better cooling, also the EVGA FTW is highly binned and allow for great overclocking but you'll sacrifice heat.

Also there's nothing wrong about the Gigabyte Windforce or the MSI TFIII, actually this is a hard choice. If you seek the highest OCing go with the Galaxy then the FTW, for better cooling you can go with either the Windforce or TF III, And I recommend the Windforce from all of these.

SMG_07

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

sacrifice heat? does the card run awfully hot compared to other cards? would you happen to know what the idel and load temps are? also thank you for answering so quickly :ange:

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Are you planning on SLI in the future? The heat levels change dramatically when another card is thrown into the equation. If you plan to utilize SLI, go with a reference design card.

Normal reference edition idles 34C and loads 78C, for the OCed FTW you can expect it to load @ 80C.
GTX-680-SC-87.jpg

Solution

SMG_07

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

No im not planning to SLI , also i should mention my computer specs just in case :lol:
CPU: i5 2500k
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo
MOBO: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600
SSD: Patriot Wildfire 120Gb
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: SilverStone OP series 1000W Evo
CASE: thermaltake Level 10 GT

Asus Direct CU II, Gigabyte Windfroce 3X or the Twin Frozer III.
And I recommend the Gigabyte, if you doesn't like its look you can go with the TF III, Asus has some software bugs don't know if it's solved or not.
The only card that has positive feedback is the Gigabyte Windfroce.

SMG_07

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

hmm im very drawn between the MSI and the Galaxy right now!

i am thinking of getting the galaxy because its already clocked really high and i dont intend to mess with the clock , however i read that its extremely load when fans hit +70% :heink:
the quote from overclockers.com
But in case you HAVE to raise it above 60%....beware....it's unbelievably loud. Louder than Gigabyte 680 Windforce 3X at 100%.

how does the MSI card handle in term of noise and head load?

SMG_07

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

I think i have made my mind , i will be going with the galaxy card for these reasons :
highly overclocked out of the box or better clocked than the Msi , Don't wanna touch that either way (and if something were to happen i can just return it without losing money on shipping because the ncix store is very close to me)
Two 8 pin connector , msi have one 8 and one 6
3 fan = assumed better cooling ( also removable fans for cleaning dust)
White PCP looks sick :kaola:
also i don't know about the MSI but Galaxy has 3 years warranty

ilysaml dude! Thank you so much for your help. You're awesome :ange:

SMG_07

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

The reason im not taking the review seriously is that the card is already clocked so highly at 1200 and 1267 boots clock , and they guys decided to overclock it even more, im not going to do the same mistake