Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Help Finding a Graphic card. Bought a new PC today.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 12, 2012 3:18:40 AM

OK guys I bought this today and to me this is a amazing deal.

It has somewhat powerfull specs for a $290 PC.


http://www.powerspec.com/systems/system_specs.phtml?sel...


the above lists the exact setup I have.

I don't think I would have been able to match the above with just getting parts for $300. Keep in mind it came with windows professional, which is quite expensive.

Now I need a graphic card because the intel HD thing is complete crap.

At microcenter I can score a 6670 for $60? But is it good enough for medium gaming? I expect to buy a *** ton of games at steam summer sales?

Now I have a xbox360 which I don't mind selling only if I can be given an ironclad guarantee that I can run the fall 2012 games at medium to high settings. Not gonna lie to you but the games on xbox360 look great, for example bf3. But for now all I have $120 with which I have to buy a psu and a graphic cards, I don't mind mind going over like $10 but not $50.



So which graphic cards should I buy?
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 3:20:10 AM

Yes a 6670 or 7750. Those cards are decent for your computer.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 3:32:35 AM

fantastik250 said:
Yes a 6670 or 7750. Those cards are decent for your computer.



do you think I need a new psu or not. If I do then I will buy it but if not then I won't.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 3:34:40 AM

These cards do not need a power supply connected to them. You don't have to buy a new one. You can upgrade your PSU later when you get a more powerful card.The PCI-E slot will power it up. If you are going to get the 7750 look for the 800Mhz ones. AMD will refresh the 77xx series and possibly bump up clocks and voltages and may need a 6-pin power connector.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 3:41:24 AM

How many watts are on the +12/v rail(s) on your PSU? To find that out their is a chart on the back of it.Post back what you see.

The 6670 and the 7750 both don't consume a lot of power so they should be able to work with your current PSU.If you wanted to get anything more powerful you will need to upgrade your PSU.A 7750 is the most powerful of the two but it won't have you playing games like CoD Black Ops 2 on high settings.

I would suggest saving up another $50 and getting a new PSU.Then you could get a 6850 which should allow you to come close to maxing out a lot of games.

Antec 380 watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PowerColor 6850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total=$185
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 3:52:52 AM

purple stank said:
How many watts are on the +12/v rail(s) on your PSU? To find that out their is a chart on the back of it.Post back what you see.

The 6670 and the 7750 both don't consume a lot of power so they should be able to work with your current PSU.If you wanted to get anything more powerful you will need to upgrade your PSU.A 7750 is the most powerful of the two but it won't have you playing games like CoD Black Ops 2 on high settings.

I would suggest saving up another $50 and getting a new PSU.Then you could get a 6850 which should allow you to come close to maxing out a lot of games.

Antec 380 watt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PowerColor 6850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total=$185




I was planning on buying this powersupply. I forgot to mention I buy my stuff from microcenter as they have nice deals like 6670 for $60 with a $10 rebate card.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...


AC INPUT: 115V/230V 10/5A 50-60 Hz
DC OUTPUT
VOLTAGE: [+12V] [+5V] [-12V] [+3.3V] [+5VSB]
AMPS: [14A] [15A] [0.3A] [12A] [2.0A]
TOTAL: 300W

MODEL #: LP-8869P-320KA
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 3:56:34 AM

dont get the thermaltake, 14 amps on the 12 rail is absolutely small. although it will cost more, get something that is at least certified, because it means its gone through testing to be efficient and can reach the required amp levels without turning much of the power into heat.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 3:57:20 AM

dudewitbow said:
if your willing to wait for a rebate, the lepa psu(hardwaresecrrets rates the 650w about the same quality as the rosewill hive series, which is similar to the OCZ ZS series)


Though if the computer is brand new, you could probably use a 6670 or 7750 straight up probably. though the psu will deteriorate overtime



It isn't brand new. it was an open boxed deal hence the price tag. But it has a 1 year guarantee at the store. The powerspec pc is owned by microcenter or rather is made by them. I have a written guarantee with email and actual paper . It everything for a year.

Edit: according to them it wasn't used by anyone prior to me. It just had missing components like mouse and keyboard.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 3:58:29 AM

Yeah that's not a very good PSU.Your better off spending the extra $10 for a quality PSU you can count on.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 4:01:36 AM

If you want to get the 6670 then you don't need to buy a new PSU.I was only saying that if you want to get something more powerful you would have to.Getting a more powerful GPU and PSU the first time seems more logical because when you do go to upgrade to a more powerful GPU the 6670 is just going to be wasted money.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 4:02:11 AM

dudewitbow said:
dont get the thermaltake, 14 amps on the 12 rail is absolutely small. although it will cost more, get something that is at least certified, because it means its gone through testing to be efficient and can reach the required amp levels without turning much of the power into heat.



I dont think I have to worry about heat, it has 3 fans in it.

One in lower front
One on the motherboard
one rear middle.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 4:14:10 AM

purple stank said:
If you want to get the 6670 then you don't need to buy a new PSU.I was only saying that if you want to get something more powerful you would have to.Getting a more powerful GPU and PSU the first time seems more logical because when you do go to upgrade to a more powerful GPU the 6670 is just going to be wasted money.




you are right on the opportunity cost on 6670. it would be a wise choice to get a 7750.

What about those GTX cards.

Will a 7750 run the fall 2012 games on medium settings? If they can then I have no reason to keep the xbox.

Will the 7750 need a new psu? If not then I can buy that now and upgrade the psu later this month.
m
0
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 4:19:12 AM

pakisunny360 said:


Will the 7750 need a new psu? If not then I can buy that now and upgrade the psu later this month.


No, you do not need a new PSU for your 7750.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 4:26:06 AM

pakisunny360 said:
I dont think I have to worry about heat, it has 3 fans in it.

One in lower front
One on the motherboard
one rear middle.


heat is less of the problem. its just that since its uncertified, some of the ac current it drains from the wall turns into heat, heat deteriorates parts quicker, even under fans.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 4:35:17 AM

fantastik250 said:
No, you do not need a new PSU for your 7750.



Thank You much guys for the help. I am going to buy 7750 in 2 days.

Again appreciate the help.

If I have more question I shall ask you guys again.


m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 5:41:51 AM

I don't think you understand what I was saying.If you go with a lower tier card like the 7750 or a 6670 now it will be wasted money when you will want to upgrade to a more powerful card.

What type of games are you interested in playing?
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 12:25:55 PM

purple stank said:
I don't think you understand what I was saying.If you go with a lower tier card like the 7750 or a 6670 now it will be wasted money when you will want to upgrade to a more powerful card.

What type of games are you interested in playing?



It seems 7750 can run Bf3 at high with ease. I checked 2 top hardware websites and both agree that 7750 can run any game I want.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750...
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 6:27:38 PM

Yes but you have to understand that those systems they used to test with are extremely far more powerful than yours.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 8:34:23 PM

purple stank said:
Yes but you have to understand that those systems they used to test with are extremely far more powerful than yours.



Yeah they got i7 and what not but they test al the settings at high with aa or no aa.

I can probably play them at medium.
m
0
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 9:12:57 PM

Goodluck.
m
0
l
!