HELP: Desktop picture needs to be removed...

My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my background
(wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes, and
scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for off-line
pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and couldn't
find it.

When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an acceptable
image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm trying
to delete comes back and "overrides" it

I'm stumped...please help!
4 answers Last reply
More about help desktop picture removed

    Hi,

    Fire up the registry editor and navigate to this key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

    In the right-hand pane, look for "Wallpaper", double click it and enter the full path to another
    wallpaper of your choice. Hopefully this will fix it. The same happened to my friend last time, this
    method had fixed it.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Homefry" <Homefry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my background
    > (wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
    > 1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes, and
    > scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
    > 2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for off-line
    > pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
    > 3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and couldn't
    > find it.
    >
    > When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an acceptable
    > image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm trying
    > to delete comes back and "overrides" it
    >
    > I'm stumped...please help!

    Try Anando's suggestion, and in addition:

    Right-click Desktop, Properties. Select Desktop tab, Customize Desktop. In
    the Web tab, delete all the items except "My current homepage" (uncheck it)

    Follow-up with a malware cleanup, in case:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Trend Micro Sysclean package
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Homefry" <Homefry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my
    > background
    > (wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
    > 1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes, and
    > scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
    > 2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for off-line
    > pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
    > 3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and couldn't
    > find it.
    >
    > When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an acceptable
    > image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm
    > trying
    > to delete comes back and "overrides" it
    >
    > I'm stumped...please help!

    Then, following Remesh's suggestions, discipline your son and show him who
    is in charge.

    Tom
    | Try Anando's suggestion, and in addition:
    |
    | Right-click Desktop, Properties. Select Desktop tab, Customize Desktop. In
    | the Web tab, delete all the items except "My current homepage" (uncheck
    it)

    | Follow-up with a malware cleanup, in case:
    |
    | Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
    | http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    |
    | Trend Micro Sysclean package
    | http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
    |
    | The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    | http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    |
    | --
    | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP Shell/User
    | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    |

    | "Homefry" <Homefry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my
    | > background
    | > (wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
    | > 1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes,
    and
    | > scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
    | > 2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for
    off-line
    | > pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
    | > 3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and
    couldn't
    | > find it.
    | >
    | > When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an
    acceptable
    | > image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm
    | > trying
    | > to delete comes back and "overrides" it
    | >
    | > I'm stumped...please help!

    Thak you for the suggestions, and all three suggestions above have been
    implemented...<g>

    "Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:

    > Then, following Remesh's suggestions, discipline your son and show him who
    > is in charge.
    >
    > Tom
    > | Try Anando's suggestion, and in addition:
    > |
    > | Right-click Desktop, Properties. Select Desktop tab, Customize Desktop. In
    > | the Web tab, delete all the items except "My current homepage" (uncheck
    > it)
    > |
    > | Follow-up with a malware cleanup, in case:
    > |
    > | Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
    > | http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > |
    > | Trend Micro Sysclean package
    > | http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
    > |
    > | The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > | http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > |
    > | --
    > | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > | Windows XP Shell/User
    > | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > |

    > | "Homefry" <Homefry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | > My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my
    > | > background
    > | > (wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
    > | > 1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes,
    > and
    > | > scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
    > | > 2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for
    > off-line
    > | > pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
    > | > 3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and
    > couldn't
    > | > find it.
    > | >
    > | > When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an
    > acceptable
    > | > image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm
    > | > trying
    > | > to delete comes back and "overrides" it
    > | >
    > | > I'm stumped...please help!

Configuration Desktops Customization Windows XP