HELP: Desktop picture needs to be removed...

My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my background
(wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes, and
scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for off-line
pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and couldn't
find it.

When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an acceptable
image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm trying
to delete comes back and "overrides" it

I'm stumped...please help!

Hi,

Fire up the registry editor and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

In the right-hand pane, look for "Wallpaper", double click it and enter the full path to another
wallpaper of your choice. Hopefully this will fix it. The same happened to my friend last time, this
method had fixed it.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Homefry" <Homefry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my background
> (wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
> 1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes, and
> scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
> 2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for off-line
> pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
> 3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and couldn't
> find it.
>
> When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an acceptable
> image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm trying
> to delete comes back and "overrides" it
>
> I'm stumped...please help!

Try Anando's suggestion, and in addition:

Right-click Desktop, Properties. Select Desktop tab, Customize Desktop. In
the Web tab, delete all the items except "My current homepage" (uncheck it)

Follow-up with a malware cleanup, in case:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Trend Micro Sysclean package
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Homefry" <Homefry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my
> background
> (wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
> 1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes, and
> scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
> 2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for off-line
> pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
> 3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and couldn't
> find it.
>
> When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an acceptable
> image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm
> trying
> to delete comes back and "overrides" it
>
> I'm stumped...please help!

Then, following Remesh's suggestions, discipline your son and show him who
is in charge.

Tom
| Try Anando's suggestion, and in addition:
|
| Right-click Desktop, Properties. Select Desktop tab, Customize Desktop. In
| the Web tab, delete all the items except "My current homepage" (uncheck
it)

| Follow-up with a malware cleanup, in case:
|
| Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
|
| Trend Micro Sysclean package
| http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
|
| The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
| http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
|
| --
| Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP Shell/User
| http://windowsxp.mvps.org
|

| "Homefry" <Homefry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > My son was mad at me, and he has placed an offensive picture as my
| > background
| > (wallpaper). I can't delete it...I have:
| > 1) Tried to find the picture in Control Panel, Appearances and themes,
and
| > scrolled through the Desktop to see if I counld find it...no luck.
| > 2) I found the offensive .jpg in the synchronization manager for
off-line
| > pages...unchecked the box for synchronizing...picture is still there.
| > 3) I tried sreaching for the above .jpg file on my computer and
couldn't
| > find it.
| >
| > When I tried to change the desktop image through #1 above to an
acceptable
| > image, the desired image flickers onto the screen, but the the one I'm
| > trying
| > to delete comes back and "overrides" it
| >
| > I'm stumped...please help!

Thak you for the suggestions, and all three suggestions above have been
implemented...<g>