Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Best Power Supply for my Computer? URGENT!

Last response: in Components
Share
December 17, 2012 12:38:16 AM

Hello, tom's hardware community!
I am looking forward to a big upgrade on my computer's graphic card from a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 to a GeForce GTX 650. However, I need a right power supply. Right now, I'm at a 250 watt power supply! I would like to know some good recommendations for a good power supply that will support that graphic card and my computer. I asked someone at Best Buy and he said a "Thermaltake - 600W TR2 ATX Power Supply" should be okay. I would like to know your thoughts and recommendations. Thank you.

My specs:

Model: a4327c

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB Usable)

64 - bit Operating System

Open Slot of PCI Express X16

Current Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Power Supply: 250 watt

I look forward to good recommendations/ help!
a c 283 ) Power supply
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 17, 2012 4:36:52 AM

egnhan98 said:
Hello, tom's hardware community!
I am looking forward to a big upgrade on my computer's graphic card from a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 to a GeForce GTX 650. However, I need a right power supply. Right now, I'm at a 250 watt power supply! I would like to know some good recommendations for a good power supply that will support that graphic card and my computer. I asked someone at Best Buy and he said a "Thermaltake - 600W TR2 ATX Power Supply" should be okay. I would like to know your thoughts and recommendations. Thank you.

My specs:

Model: a4327c

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB Usable)

64 - bit Operating System

Open Slot of PCI Express X16

Current Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Power Supply: 250 watt

I look forward to good recommendations/ help!


Hi - What's your budget? Plz post
Your total system power draw with a 650 is less than 300w,
so a 450w unit would suffice, but consider a quality
500-550w unit if you have the funds.








Score
0
Related resources
December 22, 2012 4:00:59 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - What's your budget? Plz post
Your total system power draw with a 650 is less than 300w,
so a 450w unit would suffice, but consider a quality
500-550w unit if you have the funds.


SORRY FOR LATE REPLY!
My budget is $350.00
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 81 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:14:44 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

silverstone 600watt very nice 54$ after mail-in-rebate or the xfx 550watt one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for 56$ after mail-in-rebate both are very good,

if u have less money i can recommand this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for 43$ after mail-in-rebate,

any of the above will do great with ur new videocard
Score
0
a c 283 ) Power supply
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:15:58 PM

egnhan98 said:
SORRY FOR LATE REPLY!
My budget is $350.00


hope $350 for a psu is a misprint or the decimal is in the wrong place!

Well a quality power supply for your system will run considerably under $100,
in fact if you have that amount of upgrade funds available you might want
select a more powerful vid card than the 650.

But, anyway - quality psu's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a nice step up and less $$ thru the 26th I'd go with this one, an exceptional
value with the promo code & mir


ps - i assumed since you spoke to someone at best buy - you are referring to USD
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 81 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:20:02 PM

i like the xfx one, but must say i favour my second choice as silverstone over antec.

Score
0
December 22, 2012 4:34:32 PM

iceclock said:
i like the xfx one, but must say i favour my second choice as silverstone over antec.

Well the problem is, I think the graphic card I want (RADEON HD 7770 GHz Edition) states that 600w is the minimum requirement?
Score
0
December 22, 2012 4:35:10 PM

toyftw said:
hope $350 for a psu is a misprint or the decimal is in the wrong place!

Well a quality power supply for your system will run considerably under $100,
in fact if you have that amount of upgrade funds available you might want
select a more powerful vid card than the 650.

But, anyway - quality psu's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a nice step up and less $$ thru the 26th I'd go with this one, an exceptional
value with the promo code & mir


ps - i assumed since you spoke to someone at best buy - you are referring to USD


How's this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermaltake+-+600W+TR2+ATX+...
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 81 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:36:05 PM

let me pull up the requirements for the 7700

500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

thats for one card,

600watts is for crossfire.

with a decent 500watt+ u should be fine.

Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:39:20 PM

Do not get that supply it is the reason I am upgrading.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 4:40:49 PM

iceclock said:
let me pull up the requirements for the 7700

500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

thats for one card,

600watts is for crossfire.

with a decent 500watt+ u should be fine.


Okay. Well, you told me to get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and it's really cheap! (WITH PROMO CODE TOO!) is this a good psu?
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 81 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:41:38 PM

yes thats quite nice, ive recommanded that powersupply to many people and has been reviewed and tested from a few good powersupply review websites, and gets a decent rating. you cant go wrong with that model :) 
Score
0
a c 283 ) Power supply
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:43:09 PM

egnhan98 said:
SORRY FOR LATE REPLY!
My budget is $350.00



Hi again - several worthy suggestions.
But, the best price/performance psu suggested
is the Seasonic built XFX 550 - it nets to $40 with promo,
mir, & free shipping.
To me, it is preferable to the Silverstone 600w, as that is an older
Sirtec built (new ones are Enhance) and nets to $25 more with the shipping

Also the XFX 550 has more +12v amps
Score
0

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a c 81 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:45:56 PM

yes well i recommanded both the xfx 550 and the silverstone,

id agree that the rosewill one is decent, but the xfx one witch is built by seasonic is a better build and buy.

so yeah egnhan98 go with either the xfx 550 pro or the rosewill ;) 

Share
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:51:28 PM

Yep, xfx's built by seasonic have my vote, they have the best bang for the buck for seasonic oems in my opinion.
Score
0
a c 283 ) Power supply
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:56:22 PM

egnhan98 said:
Well the problem is, I think the graphic card I want (RADEON HD 7770 GHz Edition) states that 600w is the minimum requirement?



No way a 7770 needs 600w, Sapphire,XFX, and HIS, recommend 450w
for their most power hungry 7770's and that is inflated.
Score
0
December 22, 2012 4:58:16 PM

Best answer selected by egnhan98.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 81 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 4:59:43 PM

he checked on atis site, and misread, the 600watt is for sli, and 500watts is for singlecard usage.

Score
0
December 22, 2012 5:00:21 PM

combine1237 said:
Yep, seasonic built xfx has my vote, they have the best bang for the buck for seasonic oems in my opinion.

Can you give me the link to this "seasonic xfx 550" you guys are talking about?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 5:01:37 PM

Oops typo, sorry.

Fixed now.

Quote:
Yep, xfx's built by seasonic have my vote, they have the best bang for the buck for seasonic oems in my opinion.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
a c 81 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 5:07:05 PM

thats a broken link toy -_-
Score
0
!