Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My first gaming build. opinions

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 2, 2012 9:51:28 PM

this will be my first build ever so i want to make sure everything is good together. obviously gaming is first priority and i know a couple things may have been overkill.

CPU: I7 3770K ivy (was too good of a deal at micro center to pass up imo)
Mobo: asrock extreme4 z77
gpu: evga superclocked gtx 680 2GB
memory: gskill ripjaws x 8gb (2x4g)
HDD: 1TB WD caviar black

Case: HAF 922
cooler master hyper 212+
ill figure out whether i want a blu ray drive later.

my only real question is the power supply size i would need and who are the reputable brands that are consistent quality. i may go SLI later and may try some OCing of the cpu as well.

thanks

More about : gaming build opinions

a c 279 4 Gaming
August 2, 2012 10:16:25 PM

The 3770K is kind of overkill for a gaming system but everything else looks good.

As far as reputable PSU vendors go - Tier 1 vendors would be PC Power & Cooling, Corsair TX, Seasonic, Antec, and so on. I've heard good things about the NZXT Hale90 and Rosewill Capstone but I don't know how reliable those are.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2012 10:29:03 PM

firewithin said:
this will be my first build ever so i want to make sure everything is good together. obviously gaming is first priority and i know a couple things may have been overkill.

CPU: I7 3770K ivy (was too good of a deal at micro center to pass up imo)
Mobo: asrock extreme4 z77
gpu: evga superclocked gtx 680 2GB
memory: gskill ripjaws x 8gb (2x4g)
HDD: 1TB WD caviar black

Case: HAF 922
cooler master hyper 212+
ill figure out whether i want a blu ray drive later.

my only real question is the power supply size i would need and who are the reputable brands that are consistent quality. i may go SLI later and may try some OCing of the cpu as well.

thanks

The 680 is a hose job.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $399.99 FREE SHIPPING
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX... <----- review of that card w/benchmarks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <----- XFX psu's are manufactured by Seasonic for XFX. Also look at the Corsair TX 750 for a decent non modular psu ...that psu is also manufactured by Seasonic for Corsair, look at the PC Power & Cooling 750w for another psu manufactured by Seasonic and the Seasonic 750w Bronze rated modular psu.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 2, 2012 10:41:23 PM

I agree with G-Unit. Personally I like Corsair PSUs.

One thing I'll add - You obviously are building a very high-end machine and probably therefore have a high budget. I would put at least a 120GB SSD in that machine to take advantage of the speed upgrade for your OS. Good brands are Intel, Samsung, and Crucial. I have a Crucial M4 SSD and love it.

As far as how much power you need, 750W would be more than enough for anything you put in there and give you room to grow, including SLI.
m
0
l
a c 279 4 Gaming
August 2, 2012 10:51:28 PM

JMer806 said:
I agree with G-Unit. Personally I like Corsair PSUs.

One thing I'll add - You obviously are building a very high-end machine and probably therefore have a high budget. I would put at least a 120GB SSD in that machine to take advantage of the speed upgrade for your OS. Good brands are Intel, Samsung, and Crucial. I have a Crucial M4 SSD and love it.

As far as how much power you need, 750W would be more than enough for anything you put in there and give you room to grow, including SLI.


Certain Corsair power supplies are way better than others. The TX, HX, and AX are all top notch. The CX series are hit or miss, and the GS series are definitely a miss. But it really all depends on what OEM is behind what PSU you go with.

If you drop the 680 to a 670, that $100 could go toward purchasing a Samsung 830 - more than enough for what you need.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 12:07:35 AM

so for the psu i think ive decided on the corsair hx750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this should be a good psu correct with more then enough SATA and pci-e connections?

and for the video card (im still thinking between 670 and 680) with the haf 922 case im getting should i worry about reference vs. non in terms of the air flow? the case will be slightly enclosed in a cabinet of sorts but ill be cutting some "windows" in the side and back.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2012 12:31:44 AM

firewithin said:
so for the psu i think ive decided on the corsair hx750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this should be a good psu correct with more then enough SATA and pci-e connections?

and for the video card (im still thinking between 670 and 680) with the haf 922 case im getting should i worry about reference vs. non in terms of the air flow? the case will be slightly enclosed in a cabinet of sorts but ill be cutting some "windows" in the side and back.

Here's the new and improved CM 922 with all the latest tech.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $240.98 save: $24.00
COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6821 <----- another look at that case

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-M12II-750-BRONZE-Power-S... $119.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $399.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $409.99 (Before $25.00 Mail-In Rebate Card) FREE SHIPPING
MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $399.99 FREE SHIPPING
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
m
0
l
August 10, 2012 2:48:10 AM

firewithin said:
before i order i want to double check compatibility.

GPU is evga 670 ftw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU is hx750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo is the asrock extreme4 z77.


these are all compatible with future sli opportunities right?


Yep, totally compatible. And with 750W you'll have more than enough power to run everything, including a future SLI card. So you're good to go!
m
0
l
!