Sign in with
Your question

Restricting ports windows

Last response: in Networking
August 5, 2011 1:41:31 PM

Hello,

I have a LAN with a Netgear Prosafe VG 318 Router. This router shares an internet connection with five PCs running XP Pro, SP3. The router has spare ports available. Our hope was to share internet access to a public terminal in another area without giving access to my business computers and files on the network; to aalow only internet access through the router. The guest computer is somewhat restricted in it's Windows functionality, but people with time on their hands have already circumvented some of those restrictions. I was hoping there might be a solution at the router end, maybe assigning/ restricting TCPIP ports?- but i don't know which ones are the minimum ones, or how to do it...
August 5, 2011 3:41:31 PM

not sure if that router supports VLAN if so setup VLANs to separate the two networks.

the easiest and safest way is to use a second router which LAN IP is set to 192.168.5.1 and disable the wireless if not needed.

then connect the second router's WAN/Internet port to the Netgear and the public computer to one of the second router's LAN port.

m
l
August 5, 2011 8:25:22 PM

Emerald said:
not sure if that router supports VLAN if so setup VLANs to separate the two networks.

the easiest and safest way is to use a second router which LAN IP is set to 192.168.5.1 and disable the wireless if not needed.

then connect the second router's WAN/Internet port to the Netgear and the public computer to one of the second router's LAN port.

=======================================================

Thanks for the reply. I suspect the router can do this- it's technically called:
"Netgear ProSafe VG318 Wireless VPN FireWall - 108Mbps, 802.11g, 8-Port"

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

- Seems to have lots of flexibility, tho i don't understand all of it...

I'm not familiar with the VLAN setup, but I'll look into it.

There is a 4-port wireless router at the guest area- i would prefer to enable the wireless function for those guests with laptops..
Thanks again-
-Bill
m
l
!