can you set up a services profile kinda like a hardware pr..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Is there a way to set up xp so that you can have different services stopped
or running for different users? Tired of my favorite games blue screening
xp due to services running I don't need when playing, but do need when
connected to the internet. Any help appreciated.
Thanx
3 answers Last reply
More about services profile kinda hardware
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No but you can set them to manual, then create a shell script on the desktop
    with some lines like;
    net start "service name"

    (note: as long as they're not critical operating system services)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "randy" wrote:
    | Is there a way to set up xp so that you can have different services
    stopped
    | or running for different users? Tired of my favorite games blue screening
    | xp due to services running I don't need when playing, but do need when
    | connected to the internet. Any help appreciated.
    | Thanx

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks Dave,
    That works. Was so easy I never even thought of it. Duh.

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > No but you can set them to manual, then create a shell script on the
    > desktop
    > with some lines like;
    > net start "service name"
    >
    > (note: as long as they're not critical operating system services)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "randy" wrote:
    > | Is there a way to set up xp so that you can have different services
    > stopped
    > | or running for different users? Tired of my favorite games blue
    > screening
    > | xp due to services running I don't need when playing, but do need when
    > | connected to the internet. Any help appreciated.
    > | Thanx

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You're welcome.

    --

    "randy" wrote:
    | Thanks Dave,
    | That works. Was so easy I never even thought of it. Duh.

Configuration Hardware Microsoft Windows XP