Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2012 5:02:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

One of my machines currently has a AMD FX 6100 cpu. This machine is mainly used for watching YT videos, but has slowly started to add video games to the mix. When a game is played on the machine, it seems slow & from what I can tell, a stock 6100 doesn't play games well, but OC to 4 Ghz, it should play games fine.

Which brings up my question. Should I just OC the 6100 or would it be better to invest in a 6300 or 8320? If I was to invest in either one of these 2, would I need to still OC in order to play games well, or are either of these 2 cpu's decent at stock speed for playing games? While OC is the cheapest route, I don't mind spending a few $$, as I can probably sell the 6100 to recoop part of the cost. Also overall I know probably the best OC route would probably to invest in a I5 Sandy or Ivy bridge, but looks like going the AMD route is about $50-$70 cheaper

Thanks

More about : upgrade

a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 5:12:44 AM

what's your graphics card? changing your CPU isn't going to benefit you a whole lot if you got a low end GPU.
m
l
December 17, 2012 5:22:47 AM

It's a 6850. That was another question I was going to eventually ask, if there was a decent upgrade to the 6850 for $50-$120 range

Hazle said:
what's your graphics card? changing your CPU isn't going to benefit you a whole lot if you got a low end GPU.

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 5:46:30 AM

for that budget, you're not going to find anything better than the 6850, not unless there's a big discount for, say a 7850.

personally, i'd keep the FX-6100 and OC it if you can. if you're going to spend on an upgrade, spend it on a GPU. if you're patient enough to save up, consider a 7870/GTX660. maybe a 7950 if there's a deal then. otherwise, a 7850 is a worthwhile investment. after that, feel free to save up through the months and upgrade the CPU if you feel like it.
m
l
!