Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Mid/Low-end portable gamer

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 2, 2012 11:50:11 PM

I am trying to build a PC for a friend that will be able to play MineCraft, Left4Dead, Counter Strike and Skyrim at medium-low settings with 30+ FPS.

The components in my possession are:

MSI r5670 1gb
4gb ddr3 1333 Kingston RAM
PCI wifi card


Final Product needs to be:

Portable (MicroATX/MiniITX)
Cheap ($150-$200)



I need recommendations for a motherboard, CPU, power supply and case that can accommodate these parts.

Thanks in advance.
August 3, 2012 3:45:10 AM

case , psu , cpu , motherboard and hard drive , and probably a dvd drive and operating system for $200 ???
August 3, 2012 4:00:20 AM

Quote:
case , psu , cpu , motherboard and hard drive , and probably a dvd drive and operating system for $200 ???


Thanks for the reply, but I believe i said low end...

Don't tell me it isn't possible because I've already found some candidates that fit into the category, I would like some second opinions however.

I asked about only four parts because the others have been allocated a separate budget.

I should have included my candidates in the original post but I'll list them now:

Part Picker List

Any suggestions that could better the system?

If this setup is horribly incapable of gaming at Minimum settings i would like to know and/or how to improve it as well.

Thanks again.

(Edit: Updated the list with a AM3+ Mobo)
Related resources
Anonymous
August 3, 2012 4:06:43 AM

an operating system is $100
August 3, 2012 4:06:55 AM

ideally use an AM3+ motherboard so you open the door to possible future cpu upgrades
August 3, 2012 4:10:05 AM

Outlander_04 said:
ideally use an AM3+ motherboard so you open the door to possible future cpu upgrades


Do you have any suggestions that are $50-$60?

Anonymous said:
an operating system is $100


Quote:

I asked about only four parts because the others have been allocated a separate budget.
Anonymous
August 3, 2012 4:15:36 AM

Quote:
If this setup is horribly incapable of gaming at Minimum settings i would like to know and/or how to improve it as well.


drastically improve the budget. skyrim? 30 FPS at any settings is a quad core cpu and a 7750 gpu. either of which is over half your budget.
August 3, 2012 4:39:38 AM

Anonymous said:
Quote:
If this setup is horribly incapable of gaming at Minimum settings i would like to know and/or how to improve it as well.


drastically improve the budget. skyrim? 30 FPS at any settings is a quad core cpu and a 7750 gpu. either of which is over half your budget.


I'm not about to get a new GPU, so lets just give my puny little 5670 the benefit of the doubt for a second.

I'll take a look at some benchmarks for Skyrim and see whether it would be worth it to get a ATX instead of an MATX so i can plug in my other 5670 for CF

That aside...

How about an AMD Phenom II X4 960T? It seems to fit all my criteria including price: Updated Part Picker List ~$190
Anonymous
August 3, 2012 4:47:48 AM

Quote:
How about an AMD Phenom II X4 960T? It seems to fit all my criteria including price: Updated Part Picker List

Cooling device not included - Processor Only
having to buy a cooler to you might as well get a *new*
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition $109.99

that 5670 is good for showing the desktop. sorry not trying to be a jerk, just telling you like it is.
August 3, 2012 4:49:50 AM

Far Cry 2 Benchmark

While Skyrim is a fair bit more greedy in terms of GPU resources, hitting around 20-30 FPS in Skyrim at 1024x768 on minimum settings should be possible.

Also I have the stock cooler from my Phenom X4 955 that I can use.
Anonymous
August 3, 2012 4:59:38 AM

now that test system was with an Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8 GHz it will carry the graphic card a little in far cry 2.

Best solution

Anonymous
August 3, 2012 5:07:26 AM
Share

i added a great PSU it will put you over budget but between the motherboard and PSU, you can be able to upgrade to any single graphics card and 95 watt cpu without a problem.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock N68C-GS FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($44.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $209.95
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-03 01:07 EDT-0400)
August 3, 2012 5:08:45 AM

Anonymous said:
now that test system was with an Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8 GHz it will carry the graphic card a little in far cry 2.


Oh well, my friend wont be able to play skyrim until he gets a new card. He is upgrading from a Acer laptop with integrated graphics, i dont think he will mind.

About the PSU, thanks, is XFX a good PSU company though? I've never used any of their products.
Anonymous
August 3, 2012 5:13:51 AM

brokntoster said:
Oh well, my friend wont be able to play skyrim until he gets a new card. He is upgrading from a Acer laptop with integrated graphics, i dont think he will mind.

How about the OTHER components?

i suggested a bigger better psu, can he go over $9.95 ?
August 3, 2012 5:20:28 AM

Anonymous said:
i suggested a bigger better psu, can he go over $9.95 ?


With shipping, were sitting at ~$230 which is great for a facebook/minecraft machine that has relatively awesome upgradeability

Thanks Looniam I think I'll be ordering these parts soon unless anyone has anything else to add.
August 3, 2012 5:20:48 AM

Best answer selected by brokntoster.
Anonymous
August 3, 2012 5:30:27 AM

glad to help.
!