Sign in with
Your question

Should I worry about ESD when building my computer?

Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2012 1:00:05 AM

i'm building a computer for the first time and was wondering what kind of precautions i should take to avoid electric shocks to my components. shoes, wrist straps... smock? what about the environment?

i did some soldering at a factory for a while but have lost the wrist strap and smock. i do still have my ESD shoes though, would they be good enough?

i'm spending a lot of money and don't want to wreck anything

and a little side question: should i be getting warranties on all my parts? how often do these things break? would a warranty cover damage that was my own fault?

More about : worry esd building computer

August 3, 2012 1:30:42 AM

All you need to do is leave the 3 prong psu power cable connected to the wall socket and power supply with the on/off switch set to off on the back of the psu.

This way the case is grounded by the 3rd prong through the psu being screwed into the case.

Touch the hand you are using to move/mess with components onto bare metal anywhere on the case to make sure you are discharged before handling the delicates.

I work on a wood desk standing on carpet all the time, never have any static issues because of the simple process of keeping your psu hooked up to the wall/case.

Wrist strap is a waste of money (does the same thing you do/minus having a cable strapped to your wrist at all times making it harder to work on the case/components imo)

You should have basic warranties for your components through the manufacturers which are most likely more than enough unless the warranty is only a year long.

Basically, do like I said above and keep your ESD shoes on just so you know you aren't picking any static up through your feet that way and don't wear any clothes that generate static easily and you won't have any problems what so ever :) 

What system parts are you going to be using in your build?
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:08:18 AM

thanks for the advice

here's the build i'm about to order:

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM

HGST Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black “Aluminum Brush / Plastic” ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

am i missing anything? will i have to buy thermal grease or should it come with the parts?
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:59:08 AM

Everything looks good, the cpu cooler comes with some thermal paste which works fine for what you are using.

The only thing I would suggest against is the power supply, it works fine just is very ugly inside anyones system and doesn't come with a psu cable lol.

Check out the Rosewill HIVE 750W (enough to SLI 670s) very affordable psu.
m
l
!