Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help in overclocking Fx 6100

Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2012 9:55:02 AM

hi there guys so I have ordered the components for my new rig but I want to overclock my current CPU fx 6100 to 4.3- 4.5 ghz my mobo is the asus m5a78lm-usb3 it does have overclocking option in the BIOS. if I push it to 3.8 ghz with auto voltage it is stable but any thing higher I get a blue screen what should I set my voltage to to reach 4.5 ghz and what other things will I have to adjust. I stability test with prime 95, occt and aida64 for atleast 3-4 hours sometimes longer.

More about : overclocking 6100

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 9:29:36 PM

Hi mate , it's easy to overclock the 6100. Just head over to your bios. Go to the Overclock section and set it as manual , then change the multiplier ( should show you the speed of your cpu ) and put it up to 3.6Ghz. If you want to push it up to 4.3Ghz you'll need to start using water cooling as when you push it to 3.6Ghz you need to put the voltage up ( not sure what your current voltage is so can't really say ) and when you put the voltage up high enough to keep your PC from BSOD when you hit 4.5Ghz the voltage will make your CPU generate A LOT of heat. Also you won't need to adjust anything else , just make sure you don't over voltage your CPU and kill it & make sure it's cool enough. Use Prime95 to check the temperatures and keep it running to prevent the BSOD. If the temperatures go too high then I'd underclock it a bit and lower the voltage.

Hope I helped :) 
December 18, 2012 3:29:15 PM

i left every thing on auto and cranked up the multiplier and got 4.5ghz @ 65C stock cooler but when i run prime 95 the system does not crash and there is no blue screen but one or two workers stop sometimes and aida64 give a hardware failure after 3 mins exactly but still no blue screen or crash my temps are like as follows:

idle 28-30C
Internet browsing @33-36C
gaming load bf3 @ 45C
stress test prime 95, AIDA64 and OCCT @ 65-71C

I thinks these temps are in the safe zone.

I will be getting my new cooler in 2 days.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 18, 2012 8:16:00 PM

I've been reading that Prime95 sometimes throws erroneous errors on AMD's new architecture. Lots of people are suggesting using Intel Burn Test instead. Also, safe core temp is 60C according to AMD. You probably want to get a better cooler on that CPU to avoid throttling and shortening it's life.
December 19, 2012 7:36:44 AM

I am getting my antec 620 in 2 days but why does AIDA64 and occt do the same but not crash the computer its confusing.
December 26, 2012 12:23:15 PM

Best answer selected by rohela.
!