HELP! Stop my parents from buying a Mac!

Primal

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I built my parents an excellent 700$ computer perfect for their needs with a 23' screen and the want to pay 1000$+ for a refurbished Mac that is way slower! By At least 0.8 Ghz.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Clock speed doesnt always matter, build them your 700$ computer and install OSx Lion on it, its VERY simple, (you need a Intel CPU)

Go here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=prive&page=1 and anwser the message i just sent you so i can tech how to install mac on a PC

I wouldnt own a mac if you frickin gave it to me for free. Those new macs are absolute trashy overpriced laptops hiding in the body of a... uhh..a computer monitor.

The clock speed isn't the problem, its just that they're all laptop grade components (smaller, less powerful, and MORE EXPENSIVE). Your parents aren't the brightest bunch about computers, but unfortunately thats the way most parents are. Its a myth that has been going around for awhile now that Macs are superior, this hasn't been backed up by truth for almost as long, not for their Desktop PC's anyway.

BTW, if it helps show your parents my post. I'm a Dean's List tech student. Does that help?

Mom and Dad,

:non: :non: :non: :non: :non:

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Not really, i bought 2 mac book pros about a month ago (1 for me and 1 for my wife) and that thing is amazing, i prefer Mountain Lion over W7....

i say you them a PC and install mountain lion on it....its true what nekulturny, good macs are expensive

Alrite.. Try this then, case in point:

i-mac price $1600
imac.jpg

Features.
2.7GHZ Intel i5 (Laptop grade CPU, not as powerful as a desktop variant)
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD 6770M 512mb Graphics (Laptop grade video)
1TB hard drive

Cons=
Not upgradable.
If the monitor dies, the computer dies
Parts cannot be reused to save money when the system becomes a slow turd, which it will faster than a desktop because of its diminished specs to start with

-----
Homebuilt Desktop PC-
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dIJx

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dIJx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dIJx/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dIJx/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($102.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($86.63 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($88.73 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 Wired Ergonomic Keyboard ($35.24 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech M305 Wireless Optical Mouse ($27.99 @ B&H)
Total: $949.05
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-03 00:07 EDT-0400)

---

Pros:
Expandable, and upgradable
Significantly cheaper
True Desktop grade components, stronger graphics, stronger processing power.
Lasts longer
Case, Power supply, optical drive and hard drive can all be reused for future "builds"

Case closed /thread

Laptops from mac=decent, but I wouldn't call them great.
Desktops from mac= overpriced trash, theres no ifs ands or buts about this.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

For this very reason I bought my mother one. She can just make an appointment and they will spend their time troubleshooting it and not me. The time I saved is invaluable not to mention she got a machine she can actually use without me having to stand over her shoulders.

I recommend them wholeheartedly. Again you get more than just the hardware. Buy a dell you get a box, buy a mac you get a service. Huge difference if you don't work in IT.

My family has owned Dells for over 10 years. You may need a translator to set up an a return for repairs, but I don't think its fair to say their tech support is any worse or better than Apple. Unless you live near an authorized repair center, you're shipping your computer back to Apple just the same.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Friend despite your hate for Apple, it seems like its good that your parents are getting a Mac. As some guys listed above, your parents wont call you for help to fix their computer.

Moreover, it will give you the oportunity to get to know better the Mac OS. Knowlodge is allways welcome, even for a OS that you wont use.

And to peace your tranquility, when your folks upgrade the computer, their gonna resell the overpriced purchased Mac for an also overpriced resell value. You wont lose any money in this, so sleep peacefully.

LOL, I like your logic on the matter. It has always struck me as odd, you know how it is when the miniority is always the loudest? Once in awhile I come across "Mac People", and its like they're from Mars, I always find their "thinking differently" isn't exclusive in their choice of computers. Maybe I'm just imagining things I dunno. :lol:

The ones I run into, they dress like they're trying to bring back the flower power '60s, they watch "indie films" hang out in coffee shops (indie ones of course not Starbucks), and listen to bands nobody else has ever heard of.

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

No bro...i disagree with you, Apple is awesome, it Eco-System is waay better than anything on the market, i mean...all of their devices connect together and everyone from my family has at least one iDevice... i mean me, my wife and kids can sit on the livingroom and connect the iPad to the TV and call my parents so we can all talk, iMessage is awesome too... but you are right about apple being expensive.... i guess the best things in life aren't free my friend :(

No bro...i disagree with you, Apple is awesome,
Well, you're certainly entitled to disagree. I'm not really trying to start a drag out argument about it. The OP wanted help, and I gave it lol.

it Eco-System is waay better than anything on the market, i mean...all of their devices connect together and everyone from my family has at least one iDevice... i mean me, my wife and kids can sit on the livingroom and connect the iPad to the TV and call my parents so we can all talk, iMessage is awesome too...
You can do that all of those things with a Windows PC though lol, and its cheaper. Don't get me wrong, Apple has some cool gagets, ipods, ipads and the like, but their Desktop PCs are ridiculous. I've demonstrated why pretty thoroughly I think.

i guess the best things in life aren't free my friend

Nope lol. Although for a laptop I'd probably go Dell again before I went Apple. Although I'll be fair and run a price to price comparrison now just like I did with the Desktop and see what I come up with. Honestly though for a laptop if I were in the market for one I'd be looking for a Llano or Trinity. Doesn't quite have the processing power of an i7, but for portability at least for my needs, it wouldn't have to. I'd buy AMD Llano/Trinity for the graphics.

+100000

Finally someone who thinks like I do in the laptop department. I can't justify the price on the core iX family laptops. Granted you can find some decently priced ones nowadays, but they just lack the Umpfh I prefer to have for graphics.

Alrite, here is what I got for laptops:

Macbook Pro 15 inch
macbookz.jpg

Key Features
Intel Ivy Bridge i7 Mobile- HD4000 Graphics (stronger processing power, but not very impressive graphics compared to AMD Llano)
4GB DDR3 1600mhz
750GB Hard Drive
Total: 1,949

---------

Dell Inspiron 15.6 inch display
dellinspirone.jpg

Key Features
Intel Ivy Bridge i7 Mobile HD4000 Graphics
8GB DDR3
1TB Hard Drive

Total Price $749

Unless I messed up here, I think Apple just lost again.

---

Just for the sake of argument, for the graphics, this is the direction I'd go for a laptop:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/pdf/b5s11ua.pdf

HP Pavilion dv6-7010us Entertainment Notebook PC 15.6 inch

Key Features:

AMD Trinity APU A8-4500M quad (weaker CPU, stronger graphics)
6GB DDR3
750GB Hard drive

Total Price- $699

Yea, I mean don't get me wrong, I'm sure theres some people who are high end business types who need the portable processing power, but these kinds of people probably work at places that give them company laptops anyway in a lot of cases. What do you really want a laptop for? Maybe I shouldn't speak for everyone, but we want something for when we travel, so we can putz around on Facebook and Youtube, play a game, when we're at school we want something we can take notes with or do the aforementioned because the Professor is boring and you're in a class so beneath you, you could probably teach it.

Great points with your links on Mac vs Windows systems.

Also, more great points with portable processing power. I don't mind much for CPU power as long as I have a decent amount of GPU power holding me up.

I personally love the portability of a laptop, and how free I feel with one. But if I can't play casual games such as F2P mmo's on it JUST because it lacks graphics power, that's an instant no-go for me.

I'm actually somewhat shocked at the price difference between the Dell and Apple, I expected the Apple to cost more, but to see roughly the same specs at almost twice the price, I'm honestly at a loss for words. I really didn't see that coming, which is why I did it twice to see if I messed up something. For that kind of money you'd be better off with a gamer laptop with a discrete graphics card that would blow both Trinity and Ivy Bridge graphics out of the water.

I would have to agree. I personally own a Macbook that I got a few years ago, it's served me VERY well, but for the price point, I should've built myself a Hackintosh :lol:

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

But that's what I'm saying it's not just hardware support. It is also software. You can make appointments when you have problems with itunes, iphoto or anything else and they will help you. You can't call Dell and make an appointment at the nearest bestbuy to have someone explain photoshop to you, or why one of the filter effects doesn't work. An Apple store will do that.

I sound like a marketing rep right now, but these are real tangible benefits you won't find with other products with windows pre-installed. I personally don't own a Mac because half the software I use won't work on it, but that does't mean they are bad. If you are tech literate or need specific software to run like I do, and just look at the hardware price tags yes I agree it's a bad buy but you do get more than just the hardware.

Also as was stated earlier I do agree the Macpro is outdated and would never suggest one. The current price of $2500 is ludicrous for the hardware they are providing.