Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC wont turn on after bumped!

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 3, 2012 2:30:08 AM

I have a custom built PC that was running perfectly fine. But then i accidentally bumped it and it shut off and now it wont turn back on. It powers up, but it wont POST or do anything. the HDD light stays on. i have tried clearing CMOS, reseating RAM, Video Card, and unplugging my HDD. Nothing worked in fixing it. Does anybody have an idea as to what happened when it got bumped and if i can fix this without buying something else or sending it into a shop?

More about : wont turn bumped

August 3, 2012 2:35:38 AM

Check all your PSU connections?
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 2:38:44 AM

macten said:
Check all your PSU connections?

I have checked all my PSU connections and they all seem to be fine.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 4:31:11 AM

How hard did you bump it? Can you swap out the PSU to see if an older one will power it up?
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 5:46:28 AM

macten said:
How hard did you bump it? Can you swap out the PSU to see if an older one will power it up?

It wasnt that hard actually, it was with my keyboard. i dont have another psu to test. but i would think that if the pc comes on, fans and everything, its not the psu thats the problem.
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 5:55:00 AM

agreed, the psu is not likely your issue. did you check your video cables? and what is telling you post isnt happening? black screen? do the fans connected to the mobo run max and stay, or slow down?
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 6:46:44 AM

guavasauce said:
agreed, the psu is not likely your issue. did you check your video cables? and what is telling you post isnt happening? black screen? do the fans connected to the mobo run max and stay, or slow down?

I know because my power light turns on when windows starts and it isnt going on. also, no matter how long i keep it on, the HDD light stays on. Unplugging the HDD didnt do anything. The fans will run like normal and stay normal and the pc isnt outputting any video signal. When i hooked up a pc speaker, i didnt hear any beeps either.
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 12:47:24 PM

Ok, my bad. I missed the "it powers up" after the "it won't turn on".
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 9:47:04 PM

macten said:
Ok, my bad. I missed the "it powers up" after the "it won't turn on".

Ok, is there anyone who thinks there might be a fix for this?
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 3:23:22 AM

Does anyone have an idea as to what could have happened when it got bumped?
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 5:17:17 AM

Please anyone, is there ANYTHING that might fix this?
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 5:29:18 AM

This is a really hard to figure out we really don't have enough information to tell you what to do. The fact of the matter is that It could still be your PSU it could be one of the ancillary cables to your motherboard. It could be alot of things.

Here's what I do when I'm completely stumped. Take it apart. nothing should be on your motherboard except the CPU and its cooler. No cables nothing. Your goal here is to get it pissed off at you. you're looking for a beep. Nothing more. add the power cables to the motherboard and the power switch cable/motherboard beep speaker. LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE OUT. this includes your video card your hard drive cables everything... ram too. now try to power it on. If it beeps figure out what the beep code is. it should be lack of ram. If it beeps you're in business and something else is wrong that is above that level like ram or the video card. if it doesn't beep double check everything and try again. If it still doesn't beep add in one stick of ram and listen for a beep. if that doesn't work then the problem likely lies with your motherboard or your power supply and you're going to have to find something to test them with.

This is an extreme measure but part of learning to fix a computer is learning to isolate the problem and its tougher if you don't have test parts.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 5:46:22 AM

spaceace1014 said:
This is a really hard to figure out we really don't have enough information to tell you what to do. The fact of the matter is that It could still be your PSU it could be one of the ancillary cables to your motherboard. It could be alot of things.

Here's what I do when I'm completely stumped. Take it apart. nothing should be on your motherboard except the CPU and its cooler. No cables nothing. Your goal here is to get it pissed off at you. you're looking for a beep. Nothing more. add the power cables to the motherboard and the power switch cable/motherboard beep speaker. LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE OUT. this includes your video card your hard drive cables everything... ram too. now try to power it on. If it beeps figure out what the beep code is. it should be lack of ram. If it beeps you're in business and something else is wrong that is above that level like ram or the video card. if it doesn't beep double check everything and try again. If it still doesn't beep add in one stick of ram and listen for a beep. if that doesn't work then the problem likely lies with your motherboard or your power supply and you're going to have to find something to test them with.

This is an extreme measure but part of learning to fix a computer is learning to isolate the problem and its tougher if you don't have test parts.

The problem with that is i dont have a PC Speaker to hear the beeps. Well, i do have one, but when i plugged it in last time, it got really warm and started to smell. Is that the speaker, or the PC's fault?
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 5:52:54 AM

its an internal speaker. It attaches directly to your motherboard and takes up four small pins. Your power button will take up two small unprotected pins in exactly the same area. You may want to consider calling the builder and having them fix the issue because this can get complicated especially if this is your first time digging around.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 5:58:17 AM

spaceace1014 said:
its an internal speaker. It attaches directly to your motherboard and takes up four small pins. Your power button will take up two small unprotected pins in exactly the same area. You may want to consider calling the builder and having them fix the issue because this can get complicated especially if this is your first time digging around.

I am the builder, and i know where the speaker goes. When i plug it in, i hear nothing, and if it is left on for about a minute, it starts to smell odd and gets hot.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:03:41 AM

Ahh my mistake. Do you have a friend you can borrow one from then?
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:05:59 AM

spaceace1014 said:
Ahh my mistake. Do you have a friend you can borrow one from then?

No, but i do have another PC. i will check and see if it even has a speaker. from what i recall, it has an unremovable speaker, but it wont hurt trying. i will also check the PSU on it.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:43:30 AM

I can now say it is not the PSU causing the problem. i swapped another PSU and it didnt change anything. Any Ideas now? Also, i do not have any other internal speaker to use.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 10:06:11 AM

Does anyone have any ideas now that its not the PSU thats the problem?
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:57:32 PM

If it's not giving you any beeps, then buy a cheap CPU if you want and try it. If it doesn't work it's probably the mobo. If it does you know it was the CPU. I don't know why a bump would fry either one of them but if you're not getting a single beep with a speaker then I don't know what else to tell you.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 7:02:45 PM

macten said:
If it's not giving you any beeps, then buy a cheap CPU if you want and try it. If it doesn't work it's probably the mobo. If it does you know it was the CPU. I don't know why a bump would fry either one of them but if you're not getting a single beep with a speaker then I don't know what else to tell you.

Do you know what could be causing it to not boot?
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 7:51:00 PM

Slvr99 said:
Do you know what could be causing it to not boot?


Try taking the HDD out, if you have an external enclosure for it, put it in there hook it up to another machine and see if you can access it from another machine. That's really the only thing I can think of that might go out with a slight bump if it was already on the edge of going out anyway. Outside of that, if you aren't getting any beep codes then all I can say do what the other poster suggested, unplug everything and start from the beginning. If it's a CPU or MOBO then all the rest is a waste of time.
m
0
l
!