Advice on new $1500 Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2012 3:05:58 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: October 2012

Budget Range: $1500 before shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, processing, and converting ; Gaming

Preferred Website for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Not sure maybe AMD/ prefer Asus motherboards/ AMD gpu

Overclocking: Yes I want to overclock

SLI or Crossfire: Yes Crossfire

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920*1080

Additional Comments: I want to use the Coolermaster haf xm case and I want an ssd boot and hdd for storage

Why I am Upgrading: Need new computer old one is a 2005 base Compaq 1gb ram and single core 1.5ghz cpu

More about : advice 1500 build

August 3, 2012 3:39:50 AM

i7 3770k processor
2 x4 gig of 1600 Mhz RAM rated for 1.5 volt
Z77 chip set motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon 7950 graphics card
750 watt psu OCZ , Corsair , Antec
Samsung 830 boot ssd .
Hard drive of your choice
case of your choice , but ideally quiet like the antec p280
m
l
August 3, 2012 3:49:38 AM

Here is what I had originally put together but am willing to change also thanks for the answer outlander I will look into those parts.

Asus M5A99X EVO
Asus 7770 x2
AMD II x4 965
Corsair 650w psu
128gb Crucial m4
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB
2tb Caviar Black

m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 4:01:54 AM

AMD phenom is not competitive with the Intel i5 . Phenom is an older design

If you do want to build with AMD then the FX 8150 is a very good processor for people doing editing and encoding work .
You use an AM3+ motherboard , probably with the 990 FX chip set . Asus make several models
It wont game quite as well as the intel , but the difference will not be noticeable with a graphics card like the 7950
It does use more power than the intel , but it also overclocks better .

The FX is about to be upgraded by AMD . They are probably selling down current stocks before they release the new models of "piledriver" cores . If you want AMD then I suggest you wait for that , or build the comp with a relatively cheap fx 4100 and then upgrade when Piledriver is available
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:08:11 AM

Outlander_04 said:
AMD phenom is not competitive with the Intel i5 . Phenom is an older design

If you do want to build with AMD then the FX 8150 is a very good processor for people doing editing and encoding work .
You use an AM3+ motherboard , probably with the 990 FX chip set . Asus make several models
It wont game quite as well as the intel , but the difference will not be noticeable with a graphics card like the 7950
It does use more power than the intel , but it also overclocks better .

The FX is about to be upgraded by AMD . They are probably selling down current stocks before they release the new models of "piledriver" cores . If you want AMD then I suggest you wait for that , or build the comp with a relatively cheap fx 4100 and then upgrade when Piledriver is available

Not set on amd just showing people something I had together so they can a basis of what I like.
Also the intel is looking a lot better than the amd so I think I will go with intel. Since I don't really care for the bulldozers. How well does the I7 overclock?

And so people know my background I build and sell custom computers just haven't been able to afford my own so I want mine to be perfect and since I usallly work with low budget people I use mostly AMD so I am trying to learn more about the Intel processors.
m
l
August 3, 2012 5:36:21 AM

It OCs to 4.2 GHz without voltage increases.
m
l
August 3, 2012 5:44:19 AM

thanks so 4.5ghz is a realistic goal with a cooler master tpc-812 in the haf xm case
m
l
August 3, 2012 5:49:22 AM

Yep.
m
l
August 4, 2012 2:07:33 AM

You should really up your video card 7850 minimal I would suggest a 7970 if your set on amd it would help alot
m
l
August 4, 2012 2:13:27 AM

I don't really game much maybe once a month and it usually old games. The only new games I play are Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim but not very often. Also I'm not going with AMD any more I am going to use the 3770k.
m
l