Advice on new $1500 Build

Approximate Purchase Date: October 2012

Budget Range: $1500 before shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, processing, and converting ; Gaming

Preferred Website for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Not sure maybe AMD/ prefer Asus motherboards/ AMD gpu

Overclocking: Yes I want to overclock

SLI or Crossfire: Yes Crossfire

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920*1080

Additional Comments: I want to use the Coolermaster haf xm case and I want an ssd boot and hdd for storage

Why I am Upgrading: Need new computer old one is a 2005 base Compaq 1gb ram and single core 1.5ghz cpu
11 answers Last reply
More about advice 1500 build
  1. i7 3770k processor
    2 x4 gig of 1600 Mhz RAM rated for 1.5 volt
    Z77 chip set motherboard
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950 graphics card
    750 watt psu OCZ , Corsair , Antec
    Samsung 830 boot ssd .
    Hard drive of your choice
    case of your choice , but ideally quiet like the antec p280
  2. Here is what I had originally put together but am willing to change also thanks for the answer outlander I will look into those parts.

Asus M5A99X EVO
    Asus 7770 x2
    AMD II x4 965
    Corsair 650w psu
    128gb Crucial m4
    G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB
    2tb Caviar Black
  3. AMD phenom is not competitive with the Intel i5 . Phenom is an older design

If you do want to build with AMD then the FX 8150 is a very good processor for people doing editing and encoding work .
    You use an AM3+ motherboard , probably with the 990 FX chip set . Asus make several models
    It wont game quite as well as the intel , but the difference will not be noticeable with a graphics card like the 7950
    It does use more power than the intel , but it also overclocks better .

The FX is about to be upgraded by AMD . They are probably selling down current stocks before they release the new models of "piledriver" cores . If you want AMD then I suggest you wait for that , or build the comp with a relatively cheap fx 4100 and then upgrade when Piledriver is available
  4. Outlander_04 said:
    AMD phenom is not competitive with the Intel i5 . Phenom is an older design

If you do want to build with AMD then the FX 8150 is a very good processor for people doing editing and encoding work .
    You use an AM3+ motherboard , probably with the 990 FX chip set . Asus make several models
    It wont game quite as well as the intel , but the difference will not be noticeable with a graphics card like the 7950
    It does use more power than the intel , but it also overclocks better .

The FX is about to be upgraded by AMD . They are probably selling down current stocks before they release the new models of "piledriver" cores . If you want AMD then I suggest you wait for that , or build the comp with a relatively cheap fx 4100 and then upgrade when Piledriver is available

Not set on amd just showing people something I had together so they can a basis of what I like.
    Also the intel is looking a lot better than the amd so I think I will go with intel. Since I don't really care for the bulldozers. How well does the I7 overclock?

And so people know my background I build and sell custom computers just haven't been able to afford my own so I want mine to be perfect and since I usallly work with low budget people I use mostly AMD so I am trying to learn more about the Intel processors.
  5. It OCs to 4.2 GHz without voltage increases.
  6. thanks so 4.5ghz is a realistic goal with a cooler master tpc-812 in the haf xm case
  7. Yep.
  8. You should really up your video card 7850 minimal I would suggest a 7970 if your set on amd it would help alot
  9. I don't really game much maybe once a month and it usually old games. The only new games I play are Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim but not very often. Also I'm not going with AMD any more I am going to use the 3770k.
  10. Bump
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems