6230 - 512meg MMC?

Last response: in Brands
Share
August 12, 2004 1:18:59 AM

Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
wont work in the phone.

Any ideas?

More about : 6230 512meg mmc

August 12, 2004 1:19:00 AM

"syd" <sunnysyd02@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
> Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
> a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
> wont work in the phone.
>
> Any ideas?

Probably a dumb question, but are you sure the supplier sent you a MMS card.
I have heard of people being sent the wrong format of card by suppliers thah
can't tell the difference.
Just check that the number of gold contacts on back the card are the same as
the number of contacts in your phone -obviously by contacts I mean metal
contacts, not names and addresses... ;-)

If they are the same, not sure what the problem is, sorry.

ChrisM.

--
Please remove shoes to reply

But what ... is it good for?
- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
commenting on the microchip.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:19:00 AM

> Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
> Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
> a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
> wont work in the phone.

Where did you get it from?

I had one from expansys which had to be retuned as it wasn't 6230
compatible, some are & some aren't.

Quick check is go to Gallery from scroll menu and see if MMC is visible, if
not it is not compatible, no matter how many times you format & rename from
a PC or phone.

August 12, 2004 1:19:00 AM

"syd" <sunnysyd02@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
> Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
> a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
> wont work in the phone.

There are examples of a 512MB card working. And a lot of them not working.
It seems you have to have particular brands, but this could be coincidence.

Some other things to try are:

If the MMC card is visible in the gallery, format it there, rename it to
something else, turn phone off and back on again.
Try a different MMC card.
Try a firmware upgrade. I got a 6230 last week with firmware 4.28 and it
works fine with a 256MB card. Not tried a 512 one.
Make sure you have an MMC card and not a Secure Digital card. MMC cards have
7 contact pads. SD cards have 8 (or 9? The last one looks like 2 half size
ones). Secure Digital cards don't work in the 6230, but are the same shape
(slightly thicker).

Adam
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:19:01 AM

From the man in the Vodaphone shop, 512 not supported
"ChrisM" <chris_mayers_blue@Suede.Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "syd" <sunnysyd02@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
> > Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
> > Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
> > a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
> > wont work in the phone.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> Probably a dumb question, but are you sure the supplier sent you a MMS
card.
> I have heard of people being sent the wrong format of card by suppliers
thah
> can't tell the difference.
> Just check that the number of gold contacts on back the card are the same
as
> the number of contacts in your phone -obviously by contacts I mean metal
> contacts, not names and addresses... ;-)
>
> If they are the same, not sure what the problem is, sorry.
>
> ChrisM.
>
> --
> Please remove shoes to reply
>
> But what ... is it good for?
> - Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
> commenting on the microchip.

August 12, 2004 1:19:02 AM

> From the man in the Vodaphone shop, 512 not supported

Not officially, no. But if you look around, there are plenty of examples of
peoples that have got it to work (even 1Gb cards)

The only problem is that the current version if the Firmware (3.15 / 3.17).
Mi-reports the amount of free memory. It works fine, just tells you the
incorrect amount of free space.

ChrisM.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:19:02 AM

Prior to the stampede chs tryped

> From the man in the Vodaphone shop, 512 not supported

Rubbish. They do work. Have you tried renaming the card once it is in the
phone and rebooting or can you not even see it in the Gallery? What make is
it? There have been plenty of reports of 512 mmc working fine in this phone
but don't buy cheap.

Admittedly I have a 256 in mine but it works like a dream.

--
><((((º> Bert Root® <º))))><
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 2:19:18 PM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:02:47 +0100, "Adam Greatrix"
<extorian@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>"syd" <sunnysyd02@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
>> Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
>> Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
>> a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
>> wont work in the phone.
>
>There are examples of a 512MB card working. And a lot of them not working.
>It seems you have to have particular brands, but this could be coincidence.

Could anyone confirm which brands of 512Mb cards are definitely known
to work?

Chris
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 3:11:49 PM

> Could anyone confirm which brands of 512Mb cards are definitely known
> to work?

256 Mb Kingmax definitely working. I know it's not 512 Mb but the same
problems happens with 256 Mb memory cards.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 7:12:07 PM

"Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message

> >> Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
> >> Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
> >> a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
> >> wont work in the phone.
> >
> >There are examples of a 512MB card working. And a lot of them not
working.
> >It seems you have to have particular brands, but this could be
coincidence.

> Could anyone confirm which brands of 512Mb cards are definitely known
> to work?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=...

August 12, 2004 8:09:34 PM

Did anyone get definite answer on a 512 mmc card that works, if you did, can
u please let me know. I went on froogle.com and there are incredible low
prices in the US of A for 512cards and its very tempting

"syd" <sunnysyd02@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
> Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
> a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
> wont work in the phone.
>
> Any ideas?

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 9:59:34 PM

I've just brought a 6230 this week, and got a 512 MMC (and yes I know
the difference between them and SD's)

My phone doesn't recognise it at all in the gallery so you can't
format or rename it - in fact you can't do anything with it!

Suspiciously most phone retailers don't offer 512MMCs in the same
pages as the Nokia phone so perhaps the industry is aware of this.

To confirm this I've now ordered another 128MMC and a USB reader to
try out whether its the make and/or issues with it not being
formatted first.

I've also sent an email to Nokia support but I don't hold out much
hope!

It's a nice phone but shed loads of bugs which makes it a pity..
Mobile Technology Forums
August 12, 2004 11:21:57 PM

Definately a mmc.

ChrisM wrote:
> "syd" <sunnysyd02@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
>>Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
>>a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
>>wont work in the phone.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

> Probably a dumb question, but are you sure the supplier sent you a MMS card.
> I have heard of people being sent the wrong format of card by suppliers thah
> can't tell the difference.
> Just check that the number of gold contacts on back the card are the same as
> the number of contacts in your phone -obviously by contacts I mean metal
> contacts, not names and addresses... ;-)
>
> If they are the same, not sure what the problem is, sorry.
>
> ChrisM.

August 12, 2004 11:29:24 PM

The Phone wont recognise the card at all. I've renamed it, turned the
phone on and off, stood on one leg, to no avail.

I bought the card from exeltek. It is Tekq brand. I rang them today and
they said try the firmware upgrade. Not a great deal of help there.
Thanks exeltek, I just spent 300 bucks with you guys! Bit pissed that
there is no warning that the card might not work in all phones.

Where can I find the firmware upgrade? Has there been any problems with
the upgrade?

Adam Greatrix wrote:

> "syd" <sunnysyd02@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
>>Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
>>a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
>>wont work in the phone.
>

> There are examples of a 512MB card working. And a lot of them not working.
> It seems you have to have particular brands, but this could be coincidence.
>
> Some other things to try are:
>
> If the MMC card is visible in the gallery, format it there, rename it to
> something else, turn phone off and back on again.
> Try a different MMC card.
> Try a firmware upgrade. I got a 6230 last week with firmware 4.28 and it
> works fine with a 256MB card. Not tried a 512 one.
> Make sure you have an MMC card and not a Secure Digital card. MMC cards have
> 7 contact pads. SD cards have 8 (or 9? The last one looks like 2 half size
> ones). Secure Digital cards don't work in the 6230, but are the same shape
> (slightly thicker).
>
> Adam

August 13, 2004 1:36:50 PM

"chs" <chs@colinstodel.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Did anyone get definite answer on a 512 mmc card that works, if you did,
can
> u please let me know. I went on froogle.com and there are incredible low
> prices in the US of A for 512cards and its very tempting
>
> "syd" <sunnysyd02@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message
> > Just bought a 512meg MMC for the 6230 but the phone wont recognise it.
> > Its like its not even in the phone. I have formatted the card through
> > a card reader, loaded files, read them on another computer but still
> > wont work in the phone.
> >
> > Any ideas?

What price have you seen on 512Mb cards in US?

MobyMemory offer a range of MMC cards including a 512Mb one for £64. Which
they guarantee to be compatable with 6230.

http://www.mobymemory.com/proddetail.asp?prod=mmc512_00...

Haven't looked into this too much yet, so don't know if that is a good price
or not. They also offer a 1Gb card again guaranteed for 6230 for £125.

They will also throw in a card reader for an extra tenner.

On their site, they mention that their cards are based on Samsung NAND flash
chip, so maybe you could assume that any MMC based on that would be ok...?
not sure about that.

ChrisM.

--

!