3x4gb 2000mhz ddr3
evga 660 ftw sig 2
asus p6t delux v2 board
1x 7200rpm drive
1x ssd
2x bluray drives
cooling pump
5x 120mm fans

So I just bought a 660 to replace my 275 and am having stability issues. I have come to the conclusion that my current psu (pc power and cooling silencer quad 750) is not delivering a consistent enough voltage on the 12v rail. I guess the newer (5xx 6xx) series cards are more finicky about this voltage than they used to be. This is why my 275 works fine, and my 660 crashes. I really dont want to buy a psu, but I guess I have to.

Im thinking about the EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G. I want something modular and EVGA really impressed me with there customer support helping me out with the gpu issue. Is 650 watts going to be good enough for my system? Of course ill be upgrading components at some point, but nothing major. I don't ever anticipate wanting to run sli. Any thoughts?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about watts enough
  1. I know nothing about the psu, but yes, 650w is more than enough
  2. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Search for a tier 1 or 2 PSU in the list.The EVGA PSU is not even mentioned in the list so probably it falls on a bad tier.
  3. Best answer
    For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 660 (non-Ti) graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

You may find power supplies on the market that supply more than enough Wattage to run the system. However, many of them lack the Amperage capacity on the critical +12 Volt rail, which is necessary to properly power the critical components in the system (i.e. CPU and GPUs). This is the reason why graphics card manufacturers overstate the power supply wattage, usually by at least 50 Watts, to take into account those power supplies that have the weaker +12 Volt rail(s).

The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G Gold Power Supply (120-PG-0650-GR), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with one 6-pin and four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 660. It is also way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 660 in 2-way SLI mode.

The EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G Gold Power Supply uses FSP as its OEM. Looks like it's based on the FSP AURUM CM platform.
  4. Best answer selected by quinlan276.
  5. Thanks for the input guys. Any thoughts on my issue with the gpu stability? I still haven't decided if replacing the psu is the best course of action. Heres a link to the graphics card section with a more detailed description of my issue.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/382518-33-evga-sig2-strange-failures-black-
    screen
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies EVGA Components