Sign in with
Your question

Which of these 2 laptops is the best bang for the buck?

Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2012 6:22:22 AM

Hello all, I am going to college soon and I am struggling to decide between these two laptops. This laptop will mostly be used casually, such as light gaming, watching videos, listening to music and taking notes. (Maybe a little video editing.) The catch is that both of these laptops will have to be able to play games like battlefield 3 and skyrim on at least medium/high settings with no lag. Obviously the Ideapad y580 is the more powerful machine due to the gtx660m but I am trying to find out which one is A BETTER BANG FOR THE BUCK based on their specs? Is the extra $150 for the y580 worth it? why?

So here are the specs

Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 - $699
• 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor( 2.2GHz 1333MHz 6MB)
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB
• 8.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
• 15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
• Industry Standard Touchpad
• 500GB 7200 rpm
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
• Intel 1000 BGN Wireless
• Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
• One Year
• Notebook
• Integrated 2.0MP Camera
• HDMI (Out)

Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 - $849
• 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor( 2.30GHz 6MB)
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
• Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
• 1TB 5400 rpm
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• 6 Cell Li-Polymer
• Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200BGN
• Bluetooth
• One year
• Notebook
• HD Camera
• HDMI (Out)

Also will the pc of choice be "up to date" such as light gaming and casual use for the average college student, still work well?
Additional information will be added upon request.

Thank you all so much!

More about : laptops bang buck

August 3, 2012 7:13:44 AM

If you want to play those games, then the second one. The GTX 660M will be miles better than the GTX 555M. Also that 500 GB extra HDD space will come in handy, games take up a lot of space, as well as movies and music.

Any reason you only want to buy Lenovo?
m
l
August 3, 2012 1:15:14 PM

the first one would handle skyrim but not BF3. The second one in my opinion is the better one as it has slight future proof as well as a great deal for money.
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 1:54:25 PM

Option 2 - proc, ram speed and GPU will help extend the life of that laptop. I would personally swap out your OS disk unless you're planning on using this as your primary machine and need the storage space. I don't think it has a secondary storage bay so you can run an OS & storage disk setup, but I still think it's worth it. Snag a 128GB or 256GB Samsung 830 whenever newegg has them on the cheap (128GB is $99 right now) and reload the OS. Then, that thing will be a great tool of destruction.

I am looking for something that's a mesh of thin, light and powerful. I have been looking at the XPS 14 or the Zenbook Prime - wish they had a 1080p screen model of the XPS 14 since it has a decent GPU because I am a video junky but 1600 X 900 will get 'er done. I will probably wait 1 more generation for ASUS to get me a dedicated GPU option
m
l
August 3, 2012 3:49:19 PM

jk47_99 said:
If you want to play those games, then the second one. The GTX 660M will be miles better than the GTX 555M. Also that 500 GB extra HDD space will come in handy, games take up a lot of space, as well as movies and music.

Any reason you only want to buy Lenovo?

No reason,just because I was browsing through different brands and saw that Lenovo seems to be offering the best components for the price. Any other suggestions? I would like to keep it under $900
m
l
August 4, 2012 5:40:47 PM

I am a big fan of ASUS and Samsung but they are out of your budget, that Lenovo is quite good for the price and spec.
m
l
August 5, 2012 6:03:12 AM

It all comes down to this "how valuable is your money?"

what is your major? you said a little video editing, if that means you will be editing for school, then reevaluate your options. you usually go to college once, and if it means screaming render times, so that you can finish your last minute shorts on deadline, spend the cash. get a great editing desktop and a super minimalist laptop for notes. college is so expensive you do not want to end up being one of those cliché students that say "its my tools that prevent me from succeeding". lol
school is your most important criterion when picking a computer buy what you need. even consider a mac if that is what your industry uses, (remember you can dual boot for those tricky programs). if gaming is a concern and you are not a CS/ game design major dont buy a gaming pc. I have seen too many people literally fail out of school because they didnt focus 100% on school. it is easy to fail out of school, a c average will usually put you on academic probation, meaning the last step before failing out. spend the time you want to spend on gaming and downtime on innovating and learning more than the other losers. make friends and do something ingenious, you only have four years that you are free to do as you please and become a real innovator, dont waste it on stupid games.

sorry for the rant, but i do not want you to regret your time at university.
m
l
August 5, 2012 6:08:13 AM

If I only had the two to chose from I'd chose option 2 simple because it has a faster GPU and that's often a bottleneck. As a college student though I'd be looking for a higher resolution screen than either of those offer.
m
l
!