Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SLI vs Duel GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2012 7:03:10 PM

Trying to decide between GTX 680's In SLI or a 690 Duel GPU. I've never run SLI before but to me the 690 seems like the better bet, however I've seen people post on here in the past that Duel GPUs tend to suffer from heat issues, and Im guessing its better to avoid them if that is in fact the case

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated

More about : sli duel gpu

a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 7:56:31 PM

If you get gtx 670 SLI you save $200 and get very similar performance to a 690!!

Of course the single 690 takes 50 watts less than 680 SLI but i think a 670 SLI takes as much power as a 690
Score
a c 542 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 8:05:39 PM

The GTX 690 has an advantage of working on motherboards that don't support multiple graphics cards in SLI mode. All that's required is a single PCIe 2.0 or higher x16 slot. Great with micro ATX form factor motherboards because you don't need to worry about card spacing (i.e. second graphics card choking the first graphics card's cooling fan air intake).

The GTX 690 doesn't run hotter than two GTX 680 in 2-way SLI mode.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 8:16:07 PM

ko888 said:
The GTX 690 has an advantage of working on motherboards that don't support multiple graphics cards in SLI mode. All that's required is a single PCIe 2.0 or higher x16 slot. Great with micro ATX form factor motherboards because you don't need to worry about card spacing (i.e. second graphics card choking the first graphics card's cooling fan air intake).

The GTX 690 doesn't run hotter than two GTX 680 in 2-way SLI mode.

But a pair of 680's still outperform a 690 because the 690 is two 680's underclocked!!
Score
a c 542 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 8:20:40 PM

maxh22 said:
But a pair of 680's still outperform a 690 because the 690 is two 680's underclocked!!

I never mentioned anything about performance. I was only addressing some advantages of the 690 over the SLI'd 680's.
Score
June 12, 2012 8:38:28 PM

lieutenantfrost said:
Trying to decide between GTX 680's In SLI or a 690 Duel GPU. I've never run SLI before but to me the 690 seems like the better bet, however I've seen people post on here in the past that Duel GPUs tend to suffer from heat issues, and Im guessing its better to avoid them if that is in fact the case

I believe for all intents and purposes, the two choices are identical.

However with GTX 680 SLI you have the freedom of choosing non-reference cards for potentially better overclock or temperatures. Whereas for the GTX 690, EVGA seems to be the only vendor out there.

Score
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 8:39:49 PM

The other cool thing about the 690 is the way it handles stuttering. It manages its 680 GPUs to render images at a midway point between the other GPUs rendering of images. This eliminates any stuttering issues whatsoever.
I'd like to see this sort of technology applied to SLI of lower end cards. It would make dual GPU rigs much more desirable
Score
a c 228 U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 8:41:27 PM

The key difference here is that you should be able to get much higher overlcocks outta SLI then the dual GPU cards.

Looking at the data on Guru3D for the 690, SLI'd 680's and scaling up for the 680 DCII Cu TOP ..... I came up with the following 3DMark 11 numbers:

GTX 690 OC'd - 15,341
Twin Asus 680 DCII Cu TOP OC'd - 16,557

about an 8% difference.

Score
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 8:56:02 PM

lieutenantfrost said:

Trying to decide GTX 680's In SLI or a 690 Duel GPU?
SLI or Duel?

Sli -> cards helping each other to achieve higher fps
Duel -> cards fighting each other to decide who is gonna to do the work

I vote for SLI, it's the best bang for the buck :p 

Btw, GTX 690 is a SLI card in essence, it's a "dual card in a single card face".
The best you could do is to buy two GTX 670 and SLI them. Much cheaper than SLI GTX 680, and so close to performance so you can't ignore it.
Score
June 12, 2012 10:04:41 PM

vitornob said:
Trying to decide GTX 680's In SLI or a 690 Duel GPU?
SLI or Duel?

Sli -> cards helping each other to achieve higher fps
Duel -> cards fighting each other to decide who is gonna to do the work

I vote for SLI, it's the best bang for the buck :p 

Btw, GTX 690 is a SLI card in essence, it's a "dual card in a single card face".
The best you could do is to buy two GTX 670 and SLI them. Much cheaper than SLI GTX 680, and so close to performance so you can't ignore it.

sli is the best bang for the buck? two 680 are the same price as the 690. to me having one card with 2 slots vs 4 slots on sli, that perform the same is an obvious win for the 690. 670 sli is a bargain tho
Score
August 3, 2012 8:16:26 PM

I agree with zakattak80. I'm buying the gtx690, and Maybe add another one later on. I'll just get a serious PSU for my new build! 8-)
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 8:25:07 PM

pacioli said:
The other cool thing about the 690 is the way it handles stuttering. It manages its 680 GPUs to render images at a midway point between the other GPUs rendering of images. This eliminates any stuttering issues whatsoever.
I'd like to see this sort of technology applied to SLI of lower end cards. It would make dual GPU rigs much more desirable

That sounds a lot like SFR mode, almost everything now days uses AFR which make tri and quad gpu support work well but forces each gpu to complete a unique frame in sequence but when one doesn't complete a frame in time or produces a double it causes shutter. SFR doesn't have this problem because it forces each gpu to work in synch with each other and makes better overall use of resources. Even better is that one can take advantage of asynchronous overclocking without any major issues such as shuttering.
Score
June 26, 2014 10:33:24 AM

SLI is a one of those things that works better in theory than reality. That is not to say it doesn't work. If you are the type of person who is happy to constantly struggle with settings for many programs and tinker with your set up to get the improved performance from SLI then go with 2 cards. If you want trouble free functionality for your games and you want to be sure you actually get the value of the dollars you spent instead of buying 2 cards and only having one of them work, then go with a single card.

I bought into the SLI selling points a few years back, it wasn't a complete waste but for all the hassle it gave me the benefits were marginal, and the hassle outweighed them enormously. Do yourself a favor, Buy the more expensive single card.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 26, 2014 1:29:39 PM

lieutenantfrost said:
SLI is a one of those things that works better in theory than reality. That is not to say it doesn't work. If you are the type of person who is happy to constantly struggle with settings for many programs and tinker with your set up to get the improved performance from SLI then go with 2 cards. If you want trouble free functionality for your games and you want to be sure you actually get the value of the dollars you spent instead of buying 2 cards and only having one of them work, then go with a single card.

I bought into the SLI selling points a few years back, it wasn't a complete waste but for all the hassle it gave me the benefits were marginal, and the hassle outweighed them enormously. Do yourself a favor, Buy the more expensive single card.

Hassle? You must be doing something wrong, I've been using SLi setups for several years now and the current one is the fourth that has been hassle free.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
June 26, 2014 7:52:45 PM

Reviving a two year old thread nice...

Score
June 26, 2014 8:47:55 PM

Buy the cheaper option if you have the choice, but if you plan to add more GPU ..maybe a dual GPU card better.
Problems and performance should be the same.
Score
!