Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I7 3770 vs i73820 for a gaming build?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 17, 2012 5:42:39 PM

Hi Guys,
like lots of people here im putting together a gaming rig and looking for some advice.

Plan is power/silence/future compatibility in that order.

Not planning on overclocking and going to go with an aftermarket fan build not liquid cooling (Just not game enough to risk a leak!)

Getting a few quotes and suggestions people have recommended these two cpus in my price range. I know ivy bridge is better out of the box while sandy is better for overclocking right?

I also like the fact that the 8320 can handle 64gig RAM while the 3770 cant. Guess im looking for a pro opinion. Also if theres a third CPU you would recommend around the same price range id appreciate the suggestion. im buying from Australia, specifically this is the main pricelist im going off in case its important. (http://www.cplonline.com.au/cpu.html)

Appreciate any help you guys have to offer :) 

Nesh

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 5:50:16 PM

Honestly if this is coming from a defined budget then I would recommend getting the 3570k and then getting a beastly video card. As far as I know there aren't many games that can utilize hyperthreading. In fact, some games perform worse with Hyper threading and others have matched performance between the 3570k and 3770k.

Now for a CPU fan, consider the Hyper 212 EVO which will get you real nice temperatures without an overclock. As for ram, I highly doubt for gaming in the future you would use anywhere need 64gb of ram.

I mean 8gb is more than enough for a gaming build now but if you want to ensure "future compatibility" then grab 16gb. Though there may be a new class of DDR memory in the future that may make DDR3 look slow....
Share
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 5:52:46 PM

+1 ^

no need for an i7 anything, i5-3570k is the way to go.
no need for so much ram, 8gig is fine.
take said monies and invest in high end GPU and an SSD.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 17, 2012 5:53:42 PM

Yep. Neither of the i7s are going to give you ANY better performance over a 3570k - it's the same as throwing your money into an incinerator. (And no, it won't be future proofed - it's just not a better CPU for what you're doing.)


You also don't need close to 64GB ram - again, it's just a waste of money. When running battlefield 3 on ultra, with GIMP and 20 tabs open in Chrome, I've never seen my computer go above 7GB - and I don't have a pagefile.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 17, 2012 6:30:47 PM

The only thing the i7 has over the i5 is hyper-threading and the performance boost is minimal or null in most applications. For gaming hyper-threading makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, this is why most gamers get the i5-3570K (or last year was the i5-2500K which offers similar performance).

Unless you'll be using other very demanding applications, like scientific software for simulation or CAD applications, etc... there's no need for a i7. And even in some scientific applications, hyper-threading is not always a good idea. For instance, for Matlab users it is recommended to disable hyper-threading in the BIOS because it can have a negative impact on performance. One application I've seen that really seems to benefit from hyper-threading is Visual Studio, but that's one rare case. If you use some other specialized applications just do some research and see if you would benefit from an i7, but in most scenarios you're not likely to see a huge difference compared to a i5 (if you see a difference at all). And for gaming, we already know that the answer is no difference.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 8:35:00 PM

The i7 3820 isn't anything you will need for gaming in at least 2-3 years. And 64GB of RAM? That's a no-no. Get a couple of Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 and you'll be fine. As most people say buy a high-end GPU with the money you saved. Like the 7970 or the 680 depending which brand you prefer.
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 9:17:41 PM

Thanks for the great reply everyone!!!

Definately some great advice, regarding uses I might have for this computer vs. the best potential CPU, outside of gaming in the next 4 years I could forsee:

- Research stats analysis
- Getting a gopro camera so some high def imaging editing/video editing.
- tablet computer graphics (ie photoshop drawing not video)

Do you guys think any of these activities would benefit from an i7 processor?

cheers :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 9:26:17 PM

I know that Photoshop utilizes hyperthreading which is what the i7's have.
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 12:23:43 AM

socialfox said:
Honestly if this is coming from a defined budget then I would recommend getting the 3570k and then getting a beastly video card.



did you mean "and then get a beastly graphics card" or "instead of getting a beastly graphics card" :p  sorry wasnt too sure what you meant!

Yep, I think just regarding my other interests (graphic design, playing with my new gopro cameras ridiculous quality output video, statistical analysis on research projects im hopefully jumping into) might warrant going with an i7, but i really appreciate for the gaming the i5 is going to be sufficient.



socialfox said:
Now for a CPU fan, consider the Hyper 212 EVO which will get you real nice temperatures without an overclock. As for ram, I highly doubt for gaming in the future you would use anywhere need 64gb of ram.


Thanks thats a great suggestion :)  I can see this build slowly coming together!!

socialfox said:
I mean 8gb is more than enough for a gaming build now but if you want to ensure "future compatibility" then grab 16gb. Though there may be a new class of DDR memory in the future that may make DDR3 look slow....


Any suggestions on which RAM youd go for atm?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:07:46 AM

neshma said:
did you mean "and then get a beastly graphics card" or "instead of getting a beastly graphics card" :p  sorry wasnt too sure what you meant!

Yep, I think just regarding my other interests (graphic design, playing with my new gopro cameras ridiculous quality output video, statistical analysis on research projects im hopefully jumping into) might warrant going with an i7, but i really appreciate for the gaming the i5 is going to be sufficient.






Thanks thats a great suggestion :)  I can see this build slowly coming together!!



Any suggestions on which RAM youd go for atm?


Okay, I meant that you should step down to the i5-3570k and grab an even better video card (than what you were initially going to get)

Now for ram, since you did state you were going to do some video editing and use photoshop, it may be wise to grab 16gb of ram. Though like said by me and other posters, 8gb is more than enough for gaming.

This here is a pretty good ram combo:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=76335&vpn=CMX16GX3M2A1...

or if you want to stick with 8gb:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057Q4ADU/?tag=pcpapi-20
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 1:55:51 AM

hey awesome thank you! so with GPUs I was thinking about the Asus 2g GTX680OC GTX680-DC20-2GDS.

you think going higher than that is worthwhile?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 1:57:56 AM

neshma said:
hey awesome thank you! so with GPUs I was thinking about the Asus 2g GTX680OC GTX680-DC20-2GDS.

you think going higher than that is worthwhile?


I'd just stick with the GTX 680 or maybe even the 670. In about 2-3 years those cards will need to be replaced to maintain high FPS and game at the highest settings.
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 2:21:18 AM

mmmm *minecraft with a thousand block draw distance* *DayZ in technicolour* :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 2:22:48 AM

Hmmm.....those games are not so demanding in terms of computer specs. I would say you should run something like Crysis to test out your computer's true potential.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 2:28:56 AM

socialfox said:
I'd just stick with the GTX 680 or maybe even the 670. In about 2-3 years those cards will need to be replaced to maintain high FPS and game at the highest settings.


I'm still running a GTX 480 that I bought over 2 years ago, and it easily runs every game on Max settings still, with over 60fps.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 2:31:38 AM

A bit of an inefficient card compared to today's standards. Now on a side note (to OP), have you decided a video card yet? I found this one a few minutes ago thanks to the user razr125 who notified me of this on another thread:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^ AN Antec Neo 620 for sale only for $29.99 !!!!

Edit: Just so people don't believe me, here is a printscreen of the power supply price
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 2:45:40 AM

socialfox said:
Hmmm.....those games are not so demanding in terms of computer specs. I would say you should run something like Crysis to test out your computer's true potential.


Haha they are just my current games though Minecrafts draw distance struggles on my computer which surprises me since most other games run beautifully. Minecraft does have some really shoddy coding though I think for such a great game.

I think ill be testing the rig out on Deus Ex 3 and Crysis 3 for the most part!

As for a power supply no I havnt pick one yet! Last rig i built I think I overpowered the power supply since I had no idea what the rig would require. The Neo 620, would that run a power rig like this? Apart from the stunning price what makes you suggest that? I have heard that Antec make really decent power supplies in the past though :) 

Thanks for all the help socialfox its such a big help!!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 2:49:19 AM

According to the NVIDIA website, 550 watts is the minimum for the GTX 680 and for the GTX 670 I assume it will be less. I believe the GTX 680 uses around 16-17 amps for itself and the NEO 620 has 48 amps on a single 12v rail. On a combined rail, I read somewhere around 38 (for GTX 680) and so you have more than enough. Now do us all a favour and buy that power supply, I think it may end quickly....
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 3:09:13 AM

wwo thats awesome but dont think its much cheaper coming to Australia :( 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 3:10:42 AM

neshma said:
wwo thats awesome but dont think its much cheaper coming to Australia :( 


Ah bummer! Perhaps get an American friend to buy it and send it via snail mail? :lol: 
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 3:19:33 AM

So my current build is:

CPU i3770
RAM Corsair XMS3 CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 16GB 2X8GB DDR3
GPU Asus 2g GTX680OC GTX680-DC20-2GDS
PSU Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Case Fractal Design R4/Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case

Still gotta pick a mother board and a screen (Already have an Acer 26" but keen to double up. Screen real estate will be helpful when I get into writing/research next year!) oh and a keyboard/mouse!
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 3:20:19 AM

Might try and get the decent computer parts retailers around here to compete on quotes for the build once its done :p  muhaha
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 3:25:11 AM

What's the budget on the motherboard? I would usually recommend the ASRock Extreme 4 since it is great at overclocking but if you want a super high end motherboard then go right on. Now for the NEO 620, no need to be fixed on getting it, I only recommended it because of the price tag. There are cheaper alternatives once comparing with its normal price....
m
0
l
December 18, 2012 3:46:54 AM

Well im hoping to keep the entire build between 2000-2500 if possible. when I get home I have to run the numbers on how much ive "spent" so far :p 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 18, 2012 5:13:00 AM

Okay let me know the actual numbers once you get home...or tomorrow morning.
m
0
l
December 19, 2012 6:55:22 PM

Sorry takes me awhile at the moment, work has been thrashing me!

So at the moment im looking at having $500-1000 to spend on a power supply, keyboard/mouse, storage HD (or two see how much space I can fit in!), aftermarket CPU fan and motherboard.

working off this list for my approximates but will run it past a few places for the final numbers

http://www.cplonline.com.au/pricelist-wm/printable.html

thanks for your help!! :)  re Motherboards, good heat control is obviously important what else is good to look for? been awhile since I researched mobos :) 
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 10:57:38 AM

So I decided to start a new thread so I could collate all your input into my current plan. Thinking 350-500 for a mobo social fox if that is helpful?

Anyway my new thread is here at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/376533-13-help-fini...

Any help would be very much appreciated thanks guys!

Nesh
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 2:55:18 PM

neshma said:
So I decided to start a new thread so I could collate all your input into my current plan. Thinking 350-500 for a mobo social fox if that is helpful?

Anyway my new thread is here at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/376533-13-help-fini...

Any help would be very much appreciated thanks guys!

Nesh


I bookmarked your thread to keep in tune to the new advice but so far the other posters have given you great advice that I have nothing to add :lol: 
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 7:58:56 PM

Ahhh no worries mate thought you might have suggestions re motherboard that's my choke point at the moment :)  I haven't researched mobos in a few years so trying to catch up. It's the compatability with CPUs/GPUs that throws me.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 7:35:26 AM

Best answer selected by neshma.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 8:04:44 AM

Archlolx said:
The i7 3820 isn't anything you will need for gaming in at least 2-3 years. And 64GB of RAM? That's a no-no. Get a couple of Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 and you'll be fine. As most people say buy a high-end GPU with the money you saved. Like the 7970 or the 680 depending which brand you prefer.



why do you say "for gaming in at least 2-3yrs?"

i ask coz im thinking future proofing for 4-5yrs for this rig :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 6:52:26 PM

future proofing for that long doesn't exist.
m
0
l
!