I7 3770 vs i73820 for a gaming build?

neshma

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hi Guys,
like lots of people here im putting together a gaming rig and looking for some advice.

Plan is power/silence/future compatibility in that order.

Not planning on overclocking and going to go with an aftermarket fan build not liquid cooling (Just not game enough to risk a leak!)

Getting a few quotes and suggestions people have recommended these two cpus in my price range. I know ivy bridge is better out of the box while sandy is better for overclocking right?

I also like the fact that the 8320 can handle 64gig RAM while the 3770 cant. Guess im looking for a pro opinion. Also if theres a third CPU you would recommend around the same price range id appreciate the suggestion. im buying from Australia, specifically this is the main pricelist im going off in case its important. (http://www.cplonline.com.au/cpu.html)

Appreciate any help you guys have to offer :)

Nesh

Solution
Honestly if this is coming from a defined budget then I would recommend getting the 3570k and then getting a beastly video card. As far as I know there aren't many games that can utilize hyperthreading. In fact, some games perform worse with Hyper threading and others have matched performance between the 3570k and 3770k.

Now for a CPU fan, consider the Hyper 212 EVO which will get you real nice temperatures without an overclock. As for ram, I highly doubt for gaming in the future you would use anywhere need 64gb of ram.

I mean 8gb is more than enough for a gaming build now but if you want to ensure "future compatibility" then grab 16gb. Though there may be a new class of DDR memory in the future that may make DDR3 look slow....

socialfox

Distinguished
Honestly if this is coming from a defined budget then I would recommend getting the 3570k and then getting a beastly video card. As far as I know there aren't many games that can utilize hyperthreading. In fact, some games perform worse with Hyper threading and others have matched performance between the 3570k and 3770k.

Now for a CPU fan, consider the Hyper 212 EVO which will get you real nice temperatures without an overclock. As for ram, I highly doubt for gaming in the future you would use anywhere need 64gb of ram.

I mean 8gb is more than enough for a gaming build now but if you want to ensure "future compatibility" then grab 16gb. Though there may be a new class of DDR memory in the future that may make DDR3 look slow....

Solution
Yep. Neither of the i7s are going to give you ANY better performance over a 3570k - it's the same as throwing your money into an incinerator. (And no, it won't be future proofed - it's just not a better CPU for what you're doing.)

You also don't need close to 64GB ram - again, it's just a waste of money. When running battlefield 3 on ultra, with GIMP and 20 tabs open in Chrome, I've never seen my computer go above 7GB - and I don't have a pagefile.

MC_K7

Distinguished
The only thing the i7 has over the i5 is hyper-threading and the performance boost is minimal or null in most applications. For gaming hyper-threading makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, this is why most gamers get the i5-3570K (or last year was the i5-2500K which offers similar performance).

Unless you'll be using other very demanding applications, like scientific software for simulation or CAD applications, etc... there's no need for a i7. And even in some scientific applications, hyper-threading is not always a good idea. For instance, for Matlab users it is recommended to disable hyper-threading in the BIOS because it can have a negative impact on performance. One application I've seen that really seems to benefit from hyper-threading is Visual Studio, but that's one rare case. If you use some other specialized applications just do some research and see if you would benefit from an i7, but in most scenarios you're not likely to see a huge difference compared to a i5 (if you see a difference at all). And for gaming, we already know that the answer is no difference.

Archlolx

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
The i7 3820 isn't anything you will need for gaming in at least 2-3 years. And 64GB of RAM? That's a no-no. Get a couple of Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 and you'll be fine. As most people say buy a high-end GPU with the money you saved. Like the 7970 or the 680 depending which brand you prefer.

neshma

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for the great reply everyone!!!

Definately some great advice, regarding uses I might have for this computer vs. the best potential CPU, outside of gaming in the next 4 years I could forsee:

- Research stats analysis
- Getting a gopro camera so some high def imaging editing/video editing.
- tablet computer graphics (ie photoshop drawing not video)

Do you guys think any of these activities would benefit from an i7 processor?

cheers :)

neshma

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

did you mean "and then get a beastly graphics card" or "instead of getting a beastly graphics card" :p sorry wasnt too sure what you meant!

Yep, I think just regarding my other interests (graphic design, playing with my new gopro cameras ridiculous quality output video, statistical analysis on research projects im hopefully jumping into) might warrant going with an i7, but i really appreciate for the gaming the i5 is going to be sufficient.

Thanks thats a great suggestion :) I can see this build slowly coming together!!

Any suggestions on which RAM youd go for atm?

socialfox

Distinguished

Okay, I meant that you should step down to the i5-3570k and grab an even better video card (than what you were initially going to get)

Now for ram, since you did state you were going to do some video editing and use photoshop, it may be wise to grab 16gb of ram. Though like said by me and other posters, 8gb is more than enough for gaming.

This here is a pretty good ram combo:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=76335&vpn=CMX16GX3M2A1600C11&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1285

or if you want to stick with 8gb:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057Q4ADU/?tag=pcpapi-20

socialfox

Distinguished

I'd just stick with the GTX 680 or maybe even the 670. In about 2-3 years those cards will need to be replaced to maintain high FPS and game at the highest settings.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

I'm still running a GTX 480 that I bought over 2 years ago, and it easily runs every game on Max settings still, with over 60fps.

socialfox

Distinguished
A bit of an inefficient card compared to today's standards. Now on a side note (to OP), have you decided a video card yet? I found this one a few minutes ago thanks to the user razr125 who notified me of this on another thread:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

^ AN Antec Neo 620 for sale only for $29.99 !!!!

Edit: Just so people don't believe me, here is a printscreen of the power supply price
NEO_zps972680ce.jpg

neshma

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Haha they are just my current games though Minecrafts draw distance struggles on my computer which surprises me since most other games run beautifully. Minecraft does have some really shoddy coding though I think for such a great game.

I think ill be testing the rig out on Deus Ex 3 and Crysis 3 for the most part!

As for a power supply no I havnt pick one yet! Last rig i built I think I overpowered the power supply since I had no idea what the rig would require. The Neo 620, would that run a power rig like this? Apart from the stunning price what makes you suggest that? I have heard that Antec make really decent power supplies in the past though :)

Thanks for all the help socialfox its such a big help!!

socialfox

Distinguished
According to the NVIDIA website, 550 watts is the minimum for the GTX 680 and for the GTX 670 I assume it will be less. I believe the GTX 680 uses around 16-17 amps for itself and the NEO 620 has 48 amps on a single 12v rail. On a combined rail, I read somewhere around 38 (for GTX 680) and so you have more than enough. Now do us all a favour and buy that power supply, I think it may end quickly....

neshma

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
So my current build is:

CPU i3770
RAM Corsair XMS3 CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 16GB 2X8GB DDR3
GPU Asus 2g GTX680OC GTX680-DC20-2GDS
PSU Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Case Fractal Design R4/Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case

Still gotta pick a mother board and a screen (Already have an Acer 26" but keen to double up. Screen real estate will be helpful when I get into writing/research next year!) oh and a keyboard/mouse!

socialfox

Distinguished
What's the budget on the motherboard? I would usually recommend the ASRock Extreme 4 since it is great at overclocking but if you want a super high end motherboard then go right on. Now for the NEO 620, no need to be fixed on getting it, I only recommended it because of the price tag. There are cheaper alternatives once comparing with its normal price....