help with fw drive format

G

This is a really basic question for this forum, but it would be great if someone could help out.
I have two internal hd's and would like to add a Maxtor 80g FW drive. This drive is currently formated for a mac.

I've just installed a maxtor FW pci card, and WinMe found the drivers for it.
If I start up the FW drive, and then boot up, would WinMe detect new hardware then prompt to format/partition etc., or do I need to run msdos and fdisk. If I need to fdisk, would someone please advise me the steps required to format the FW for my setup? I only need one partition.

Current devices in use:
Int hd master C
Int hd slave D
cdrw E
cdrom F

Should I be concerned about drive letter changes to the cd drives when installing the fw drive?

Thank you.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Just look at the 1394/FireWire drive as an internal hard drive. It will chang the drive letters of your CD Rom drives because it is going to assign it to drive letter E:\ most likely.

Were you using this drive on a Mac? If so when you boot up Windows Millennium it isn't going to see the drive partition at all. It may see the drive but not the filesystem. It should see the filesystem as a Non Dos because it's either going to be HFS or HFS+ filesystem from when you had it on the Mac. If you were using the drive on a mac the easiest way to format this drive would be to put it back on the Mac and have it create a Dos Volume. If you don't have that option you will have to go into Millennium under your start menu, goto run, then type Fdisk, and hit 'Ok'. You want to say 'yes' to 'larger disk support', then goto option 3 (delete partition or logical Dos drive), and then option 4 (delete Non Dos partition). Then after you delete the partition you will want to recreate the partition under option 1.

Just remember it's basically like dealing with an internal hard drive except you won't be able to see it in DOS.

Hope that helps?

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>