750W Problem with 32 Gig Ram

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • RAM
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
December 17, 2012 6:45:11 PM

Just need verification that the psu is defective or I'm just way off on power usage. These parts are all brand new, less than a week old.

Here are my build specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 7870

RAM: G.Skills Ares 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR3 1600

SSD 3: 120 gig SATA 6.0

HDD: 3 TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0

Optical: DVD-RW

POWER: Corsair TX750 V2

Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

My problem is with all 32gig installed, the comp loads very slow and while in windows stutters and freezes or even crashes if i perform more than 2 actions at the same time. However when I drop it down to 16 gig, everything works fine. I've swapped the ram into different channels, checked the mobo, checked all the other hardware. It only occurs when all 4 sticks are in simultaneously. All the power checking calculators say I should be fine at 500 or 600W, and yet I run into the instability with the ram. Is the 750 not enough? I've yet to OC anything yet, they are all running at normal settings. Could something else be the culprit?

More about : 750w problem gig ram

December 17, 2012 6:47:53 PM

It seems to me as if you have a bad stick of RAM, trying running a program such as Memtest and report back.

The PSU is absolutely NOT the problem in this scenario.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 17, 2012 6:55:06 PM

Hi :) 

As correctly said its NOTHING to do with the amount of power...a 250 would do...

Its either faulty ram, or a faulty ram slot...

Try it in 3 slots at a time to test...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 17, 2012 7:08:58 PM

I would use two sticks and go into the bios and up the dram voltage to 1.6 to 1.65v and test all 4 with that.
m
l
December 17, 2012 7:26:23 PM

You board may not like using four sticks of memory of that brand. Did you check memory compatibility on Gigabyte's website? Also, some motherboards like 1.5v memory or 1.65v. Check to see what voltage your board and sticks need as they may be different.
m
l
December 17, 2012 8:08:57 PM

Raele said:
Just need verification that the psu is defective or I'm just way off on power usage. These parts are all brand new, less than a week old.

Here are my build specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 7870

RAM: G.Skills Ares 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR3 1600

SSD 3: 120 gig SATA 6.0

HDD: 3 TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0

Optical: DVD-RW

POWER: Corsair TX750 V2

Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

My problem is with all 32gig installed, the comp loads very slow and while in windows stutters and freezes or even crashes if i perform more than 2 actions at the same time. However when I drop it down to 16 gig, everything works fine. I've swapped the ram into different channels, checked the mobo, checked all the other hardware. It only occurs when all 4 sticks are in simultaneously. All the power checking calculators say I should be fine at 500 or 600W, and yet I run into the instability with the ram. Is the 750 not enough? I've yet to OC anything yet, they are all running at normal settings. Could something else be the culprit?

Just to elaborate a little more on what Azathoth said: Download either memtest or Windows Memory Diagnostic and create a bootable CD. Pull out all the RAM and install one stick into slot 1. Boot to the CD and test the RAM. Note whether that stick was clean or not and set it aside. Install a different stick of RAM into the same slot and run the test. Set it aside, noting whether or not it was clean. Proceed with the last two sticks following the same procedure.

If one stick came back with errors then that stick is likely bad. Follow RMA procedures with GSkill to get it replaced.

If they all came back with errors after the first set of tests then retry the entire procedure using slot 2 instead of slot 1. It might be that RAM slot 1 on your motherboard is bad.

If they all came back without errors after the first test then your RAM sticks should all be fine. Now you need to test the slots on the motherboard. Choose any one of the sticks and run the test in slot 2. After testing slot 2, move that same stick to slot 3 then slot 4, running the test again each time. If any of the slots give you errors then you have a bad slot and need to replace the motherboard.

Follow this procedure and feel free to ask any questions.
m
l
December 18, 2012 2:11:15 AM

Sorry about that, took awhile.

So I checked all 4 sticks in the first slot, no errors according to standard windows memory diagnostic.
Afterwards I checked all 4 slots with one of the clean sticks, again no errors.
Tried booting up with all 4 in, again same problem of almost not being able to move. Changed dram voltage to 1.6 and 1.65, no change.

My motherboard : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My ram : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My ram is just double that kit.

Should I try memtest or memtestx86? Could something else cause it?

Again, works fine with 16 gig in either channel(what I'm using now) but severe hangup/crashes/reboots with all 4 sticks installed.
m
l
December 18, 2012 2:41:45 PM

Raele said:
Sorry about that, took awhile.

So I checked all 4 sticks in the first slot, no errors according to standard windows memory diagnostic.
Afterwards I checked all 4 slots with one of the clean sticks, again no errors.
Tried booting up with all 4 in, again same problem of almost not being able to move. Changed dram voltage to 1.6 and 1.65, no change.

My motherboard : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My ram : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My ram is just double that kit.

Should I try memtest or memtestx86? Could something else cause it?

Again, works fine with 16 gig in either channel(what I'm using now) but severe hangup/crashes/reboots with all 4 sticks installed.

Interesting... Try running the memory diagnostic with all 4 sticks installed. If it gives you an error then it should tell you which slot contains the error. If the standard tests don't give you any errors then try running the extended tests.

If you get any errors then it should tell you which stick/slot the errors were on. Try switching the stick in that slot with one from another slot. I.E. If it tells you that you have an error in slot 2 then swap the stick in slot 2 with the stick in slot 1. Run the test again and the error should either follow the stick or stay with the slot. If the error stays with the slot and you are not sure that you traded the correct stick then try switching the other two stick and running the tests again. I.E. if you swapped the sticks in slot 1 and slot 2 then swap the stick in slot 3 with the one in slot 4.

If there were absolutely no errors in windows memory diagnostic running the extended tests with all 4 sticks in place then your RAM and DIMM slots are all good. At this point you should disconnect everything from your motherboard except your CPU, RAM, GPU and boot drive. Try booting to Windows and see if the hanging/crashing errors continue. If everything is running fine then shut down and connect your HDD. Boot and check for hangs again. If all clear then do the same with your DVD drive, and so forth and so on until everything is connected. If adding one of the pieces brings the hanging back then disconnect that specific part and proceed until everything else is connected.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes.

P.S. This is a bad question to ask and I don't think I even really need to ask it, but since no one else has and I want to verify: Your Win7 Ultimate Edition is 64-bit, right?
m
l
a c 311 ) Power supply
December 18, 2012 8:01:37 PM

Isaiah4110 said:
Interesting... Try running the memory diagnostic with all 4 sticks installed. If it gives you an error then it should tell you which slot contains the error. If the standard tests don't give you any errors then try running the extended tests.

If you get any errors then it should tell you which stick/slot the errors were on. Try switching the stick in that slot with one from another slot. I.E. If it tells you that you have an error in slot 2 then swap the stick in slot 2 with the stick in slot 1. Run the test again and the error should either follow the stick or stay with the slot. If the error stays with the slot and you are not sure that you traded the correct stick then try switching the other two stick and running the tests again. I.E. if you swapped the sticks in slot 1 and slot 2 then swap the stick in slot 3 with the one in slot 4.

If there were absolutely no errors in windows memory diagnostic running the extended tests with all 4 sticks in place then your RAM and DIMM slots are all good. At this point you should disconnect everything from your motherboard except your CPU, RAM, GPU and boot drive. Try booting to Windows and see if the hanging/crashing errors continue. If everything is running fine then shut down and connect your HDD. Boot and check for hangs again. If all clear then do the same with your DVD drive, and so forth and so on until everything is connected. If adding one of the pieces brings the hanging back then disconnect that specific part and proceed until everything else is connected.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes.

P.S. This is a bad question to ask and I don't think I even really need to ask it, but since no one else has and I want to verify: Your Win7 Ultimate Edition is 64-bit, right?

Not a bad question to ask - stranger things have happened
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 18, 2012 9:44:36 PM

Ok now slow tha ram to 1333
m
l
!