ATI 7970 going into power save mode mid game?

clickshot

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Just got a 7970 as an upgrade from a GTX460, most games run fine - brilliantly to be honhest - Crysis, BF3, Dirt etc. All the demanding games run fine, thing is, when I try to play an older title such as Call of Duty 4 of a less demanding game League of Legends for example, the cards core speeds seem to drop from 925 down to 501 or even 300. I know that this would be normal if I was browsing the web etc but in-game it is just plain frustrating.

Is there some way of disabling the power saving features? I kinda want the performance I have paid for, not the performance the Greenpeace would like me to have!

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Click

Kari

Splendid
so are you getting poor performance because of this?
if the game is light enough and fps is capped with vsync, the load on the gpu willl be so low that it doesnt have to use all of its power to hit the fps cap...

on the other hand, if you are getting like 10fps it would be annoying :D

clickshot

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
COD4 Max settings, no v-sync, FPS capped at 250 (promod). Random drops in fps to around 20fps for a couple of seconds then it comes back up.

clickshot

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
i have overclocked it to 1000 to see if o/cing it would help, and no. my 5970 used to do it with COD4 too, but there was a way of forcing it to stay in higher clocks with CCC back then... ah well i will just have to play demanding games!!!

clickshot

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Just cracked it. Saw that there is a lot of talk on G3d about enabling unofficial O/C mode in afterburner through the config. Did that, I know have the performance I payed for and can play without stupid lag!

Thanks guys!