Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I3 3220 + hyper 212

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2012 7:50:21 PM

Hi :) 

First of all, i apologize if my English is not the best, i'm from mexico :hello: 

I have a doubt and i didn't know who else to ask, so i hope you guys can help me

i'm using the i3 3220 with the hyper 212, Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 motherboard and the Haf 922 case

My doubt is about the temperatures of the CPU.....why is almost the same with the hyper and the stock cooler?

STOCK:

HYPER 212:

And also the temps for the core 0 and core 1 are very different, is that normal?

i'm using arctic silver 5 and the pea method on the center of the CPU....

the temperature where i live is very low right now, 15-17c

any ideas?

as a side note, before this i3 3220 i was using the celeron g530 and with the stock cooler it was at 32-35c and with the hyper at 18-21c

More about : 3220 hyper 212

a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 8:05:06 PM

i personally think the unsoldered ihs of ivy bridge is the cause of this, intel chose to use tim under ivy bridge cpus ihs unlike sandy bridge
Score
a c 79 à CPUs
December 17, 2012 8:10:12 PM

Its because it doesn't generate a lot of heat, the i3 is 55W, the 212 can probably cope with 200W, the stock cooler is also oversized.

if you had a 3570k and was overclocked, the stock cooler would be at it limit, the 212 would have a lot of room to spare and you would see more of a difference.
Score
Related resources
a c 84 à CPUs
December 17, 2012 8:10:32 PM

for a start, there is no point in using an aftermarket cooler on an i3, since you cant overclock it and it doesnt produce much heat. You should also be aware most motherboards have fan speed control, if the hyper212 is running on its lowest fan speed or set to auto, the fan may not increase in speed till it hits at least 50C, therefore temps may be no different. you have nothing to worry about anyway, its far from overheating.
Score
December 17, 2012 8:41:36 PM

so, is everything normal?? including the difference in temperature from both cores??

i do know that the i3 doesn't need the hyper but i got it when i was using the Celeron G530, not for the temperature, but for the sound, the stock cooler from the celeron was annoying, and now that i have the i3 i decide to use it :??: 

but the reasons that makes me wonder if the temps are normal is because the hyper drop the temperature from the celeron from 32 to 19 so i was expecting something similar with the i3, that and the reviews from amazon and newegg where some people say that the temps are 25-30c on idle :o 
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
December 17, 2012 9:39:43 PM

The temp on the low core is impossible, actually. There's no way it would be lower than ambient with an air cooler (your case temp appears to be 29-30C, and I imagine room temp isn't much lower than that (maybe 24-26C)). The general rule is that your idle temp will be 5-10C warmer than ambient using air cooling, with the lower temps achieved using a top end cooler.

That sensor is definitely wrong.

Other than that, all looks well.
Score
December 17, 2012 9:53:32 PM

so you think the problem is the sensor? can i fix it?

the drivers are up to date, and i updated the bios last week to add support for ivy :??: 
Score
a c 283 à CPUs
December 17, 2012 10:06:45 PM

accio_fawkes said:

the drivers are up to date, and i updated the bios last week to add support for ivy :??: 

It's not really something that can be fixed, you just kind of put a band-aid on it by using a temp offset. I would say +15-20C would be about right.

It's just calibrated wrong, but there's no way to recalibrate it at the hardware level, that I'm aware of.
Score

Best solution

December 17, 2012 10:24:26 PM

Temperature discrepancies between cores are normal (especially true with Ivy Bridge.) I have ~10c temp difference in my 3770k. On HW Monitor your your core #1 temps dropped 4-7c and your core #0 dropped 1-4c. Not great but the stock cooler is really enough for an I3, a 212+ is overkill. You could check out your Hyper 212 fan as well to make sure it is working and that it is upping it's RPMs when the chip temp increases.

However, as DJDecibel pointed out, your temps for Core#1 are lower than ambient and you may have a faulty sensor on the CPU or the mother board is not reading the sensor correctly.
December 17, 2012 10:31:06 PM

using the intel processor diagnostic tool, the temperatures between the cores are more "realistic"

so, there's nothing i can do to be sure is nothing wrong with the CPU? although i never heard of someone returning a CPU for overheating....is that even possible?

Score
a c 283 à CPUs
December 17, 2012 10:36:37 PM

Eh, there's nothing really wrong, other than the (apparently) faulty sensor. As long as you remember that and take it into account, it's not really a big deal.

The CPU itself is just fine.
Score
a c 117 à CPUs
December 17, 2012 10:44:24 PM

accio_fawkes said:

Semiconductor thermal sensors are highly non-linear, particularly at low temperatures.

Calibrating thermal sensors on a CPU would require warming/cooling the CPU to specific temperatures on a test rig and reading sensor data to map the response curve. This is a time-consuming process that is much beyond most people's abilities and if Intel bothers doing it at all, they probably only do so at critical temperatures such as where they want thermal throttling and shutdown to occur, both of these being over 90C.

At such higher temperatures, thermal diodes become much more predictable so it is quite possible that Intel simply relies on physics rather than bother with any formal chip-by-chip or calibration.

In other words, can't fix it. The CPU's thermal sensors were never intended to be accurate, at least not until temperatures reach levels actually worth worrying about.
Score
December 17, 2012 11:58:05 PM

Ok, thanks to all of you for your help, is good to know that the CPU is fine, since is brand new i didn't know if it was defective or not :D 

I think i'm gonna keep using the hyper 212, although the stock cooler from this i3 is more silent, on full load the temperatures are lower :) 

Again, Thank you guys :hello: 

Score
December 18, 2012 12:01:54 AM

Best answer selected by accio_fawkes.
Score
December 20, 2012 7:02:47 AM

just an update, today i built a new pc for my brother, using my old celeron g530 and i decide to test the i3 on the new motherboard to see if the heat sensor in mine was the cause of the difference on the temperatures....and no, the temps are the same on the new pc, 14-16c on core1, 35-38c on core0, then i put back the celeron on my pc and it was at 18c on core0, 19c on core1....

so, i guess the sensor that doesn't work as it should is the one on the i3 CPU....bad luck i guess :sweat: 
Score
!