Dumb Q of the week.

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hi guys,

I know this is a dumb Q but it's something I've been wondering for a while...

I'm trying to remove thermal paste that I wrongly applied on the CPU and from what I've heard, most people seem to use isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters to wipe it off.

My problem is I don't drink coffee so I'm not sure which filters to use. Should I use cloth or paper? Bleached or unbleached?

I'm I over thing the whole thing? Probably. :lol:

Thanks,

P

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Yeah, I was only going to use q-tips as well, until someone came along and convinced me the lint from them will affect my temps. :eek:

I've just got an irrational fear of somehow damaging the CPU whilst removing the paste. Anyways, if you guys think q-tips will be fine, that's great. I've got plenty of those in the house. :D

socialfox

Distinguished
Just make sure they aren't the cheap ones, I have quite a variety of Q-tips and the more expensive ones don't leave lint whereas the cheaper ones that seem "fluffier" leave quite a bit of lint on stuff.

Pmckenna

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Eh, they're kinda fluffy but what q-tip isn't? I can just blow any fluff off when I'm finished right?

Also, could the friction from rubbing off the paste create static that could damage the CPU?

socialfox

Distinguished

I've rubbed the processor with a Q-tip in a reasonable way and no damage was ever done. And I've cleaned numerous processor and none have been damaged by static. Just make sure you are grounded and have no static on yourself and your good to go.