psupaul

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Looking to build a new HTPC/Home Server that will hold/play my ripped movies and be able to store all my music, pictures etc.

Last machine I built was over 8 years ago so any advice you can give will be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week

Budget Range: Enough to get the job done but don't want to overkill it

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC, Home Server, Web usage, Light gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No need for a Monitor

Parts to Upgrade:

Lian Li HTPC Case

GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H Mobo

AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano 3.0GHz

SeaSonic 400W Fanless Modular PSU

G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM x2 (will add more as space is needed but 6 TB will be enough for now.

Intel 120 GB SSD for operating system/programs. I want to boot fast for bringing up movies and what not.

LG Blue Ray burner

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, Windows 7

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg, Amazon

Parts Preferences: No real preferences, just trying to build a stable and quiet system

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080P Tv

Additional Comments:
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:

tigeryeow

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

if your just using it for the above tasks the A8 and its on board gpu will handle it and you should buy an after market cooler

Ahh, Thanks for pointing that out BigTroll.
[strike]Anyway, the Vertex 4 is quite faster, as you can see in this Tom's review, and that was before the firmware updates, which has made it so much faster.[/strike] (damnit, thats the 320)
[strike]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vertex-4-everest-2-benchmark,3172-3.html[/strike]

Well, until I can find a review that outright compares these drives, you'l just have to take my word that its faster.

just get the fractal define mini and my build. its pretty small and has tons of room for all the components i suggested. plus, its about as passive as it can be

watercooling is not necessary nor viable given how small the case is. its probably gonna make it even louder