Selecting one out of two GPUs as default (switchable graphics)

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Unfortunately i have recently (2 months ago?) bought a laptop with switchable graphics without knowing what it was and it has an Intel HD + HD 6470M which is an entry level card (should be able to play any game smoothly on low) but when it comes to games like witcher 2 and saints row 3, it gives up and run at 10 FPS. Now i have checked using GPU-Z and i saw the ati graphics using 80% of usage which means it was active but why not 100%? and the intel card was giving 9% of usage. Does that mean they both work together somehow?

I was wondering if there's a software which could choose default GPU (ati one)...since i don't have the bios for my laptop which sets GPU to either discrete or power saving thing...thanks to HP being lazy and not able to release bios for my version (HP G6 1105sz)

please do share any tips you have regarding switchable graphics...

feel free to move my thread to appropriate section since i don't come to these forums often but the community looks helpful that's why i'm posting it here.

AMD Radeon HD 6470M review
From the benchmark/comments it looks as if the HD 6470M isn't enough GPU for Witcher2
ss006h.jpg

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
nevermind that, is there a software which would let me set ati HD 6470m as the only gpu to use and disable the other one so that when i go on sites such as canyourunit.com it doesn't show my specs as intel HD but rather Ati HD 6470m because ati is only used when i'm gaming and not when i'm watching vids...browsing...also i have problems when i install drivers because then i can only install drivers which are for switchable graphics and i'm not able to download the latest ones from ati site...

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
i mean they are for 6400M series but they don't apply to switchable graphics unless intel HD is turned off from bios which most of the laptops do provide except my version of HP...so i was wondering if there's a way to do that manually without the need of that option, through software or cmd maybe?

You might want to hang around other HP Llano owners and see if any of them are using the standard laptop drivers successfully.

You might find out more hanging around in the specific game forums and look for other Llano owners talking about performance.

shad0wboss

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
tried disabling one of the card in device manager but the other one just didn't work. It seem to be working together somehow and no matter what i change in the calatyst control center. HD 6470M is seem to be working when gaming....

and the intel HD one only works when browsing and stuff like that and funny thing is, its core clock and memory clock stays at 0 mhz on the processing % changes and the memory and core clock of HD 6470M changes...This is when browsing....Intel HD doesn't seem to have memory and core clock of itself?