Loud noise from the motherboard?

AverageGamer

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Hello, before I begin, I would like to thank you for clicking on my thread/post. I appreciate every bit of help that I can get, and if you're experiencing the same problem, maybe the replies that this thread receives could help you.

My problem: Today, I turned on my computer, and started hearing a loud noise from the motherboard area, I have no idea what the part where the sound is coming from is called, however, I can offer a video to help you get the idea. The sound is coming from where the blue light is coming from in the video.

Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChDY7AXjog&feature=plcp (my apologies the bad quality, I recorded it with my iPod). NOTE: Putting the video quality to 720p increases the quality slightly.

Questions: Where is the noise coming from? What is causing it? Is it harmful? How can I get rid of it?

Thank you for viewing my post, any help will be appreciated.

The lighting is very very poor so it is hard to tell what you have in that system, but it appears you have one of the self contained liquid coolers, the part on the CPU is the pump for the cooler which is why it is making some noise. Did it always make some or is it now louder than normal

AverageGamer

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Oh that was a quick reply, thank you. Yes, I agree that the lighting is extremely poor in the video. I don't recall it ever making some noise like this. I forgot to add that when i first turned on the computer this morning, it sounded like something was going through those pipes. I restarted, and this noise is happening.

Sounds like something spinning and hitting a stray wire. Check the fan that's attached to the heatsink via the pipes.

But if its not that, it is probably the pump inside the heatsink. For something that is supposed to be filled with water, it sounds suspiciously dry. Maybe a bubble in the loop got dislodged and has now taken residence in the pump. Since its a pre-built, you can just take it back and have it fixed if its still in warranty.

your computer going to blow up run!!!!!........j/k.. it sound like you have something stuck in the cpu fan. or the cpu fan bearing went bad.the easy way to see if it the cpu fan...use your finger and stop it. if the noise stops then that was the fan making the noise. if not that fan...check the case fans. use a 3 party program like msi afterburn if you have a nvidia gpu to turn the fan speed up. if the noise changes in pitch then it the gpu fan. if the noise just ends....then the fan might stop or lock up and burn out. if it stops...you have an over heat issue. if the cpu fan failed...on some heat sinks you can replace just the fan..there be help in by 4 screws. remove the screws the fan will fall off the heat sink. if the unit is a pre built and has a warranty call up and use it. they have to replace the fan that failed.

AverageGamer

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

I'm not exactly familiar with the part that is making the noise, but i don't see any wires going back into the heatsink. Assuming the heatsink is the big think with the large tubes/pipes going in it. Sorry, I'm not that familiar with these parts as I am with others.

A heatsink is a sort of a dense array of metal fins that conduct heat. Basically water carries the heat from CPU block (the thing with the blue LED on it) to the heatsink, which is then blown out of the case by fans. Just make sure there aren't any wires in the way of fans.

If its the pump (which on second thought is probably in the CPU block), there's nothing you can do to fix it as its a closed loop system, not made to opened. I just advise taking it back to where you got it and have them fix it under warranty.

AverageGamer

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

I'll remove the thing with the blue LED lights. Is it safe to do that? I want to make sure that it is clean.

You can remove the CPU block, but if your unsure of how to do system maintenance (which I'm guessing you are), I would suggest not doing it. The only thing you could check under there is the Thermal paste (stuff that helps the transfer of heat from the CPU to the water in the loop), which isnt the issue here.

Again, take it back to where you got it from and have it fixed under warranty. If its the pump like I suspect, you simply wont be able to fix it on your own.