Monitor keeps going into 'hibernation' mode

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
My landlady has an old Gateway that she has never scan disked or malwared... it is a mess. But I cannot get the monitor to stay on long enough to do these functions?! It keeps going into the hibernation/energy saver mode. I reset all of the monitor settings to never and for a few minutes it appeared to have fixed the issue... I started malwarebytes and it went off again. Scan Disk would not clean, it just jumped through the function at start up and said it had completed (*in like 30 seconds?!). OK, so I thought fine I'll just reinstall the OEM. Win XP Home.... could not get the boot sequence to come up... went into9 hibernation mode again!

This is a Gateway desktop, 10 years old and I am not sure if it is the MB or the monitor that is the issue? Any thoughts? And what is the "F" key for the boot sequence? Is it different then a dell's? I looked and it says it should be F10.... but that does not work. The screen goes off into hibernation mode at the beginning of the start up!

ThanX
Ariana

if the system is 10 years old it sounds like there a inverter or power issue with the monitor. to see if it is the monitor when you power on go into the bios of the mb. if the monitor shuts off...and when you turn it off and back on your still in the bios...it the monitor. there not drivers needed or loaded when your in the bios..it all hardware. (cmos batterys do go bad over time...when they do the system will not post..or not hold the date and time. never see a pc cause a monitor to go to sleep. if you have a local micro center or best buys and the unit is small and light...bring the unit into walk in tech support ask them to connect it to one of there pc. if it shuts off. you know then it the monitor. the only other thing it could be is a video card issue where the video from the mb is shutting off. you wont know this unless you have another monitor for testing.

Ariana_FFD

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Oh I should have added... when you boot up the monitor light is green for about 1 second then goes to amber, not blinking, solid.

Would you suggest I use an old CRT monitor to test it? I don't want to use my 2 LCD ones... I have a standard CRT that is still quite functional, large, but functional. Would this test it out accurately though?

Thank you!!!
Ariana