Sign in with
Your question

I5 or i7 based on what i'm doing?

Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2012 10:37:19 PM

Hey I plan on building my computer soon and I currently have an i7 processor but I don't know if it's actually worth the 40 extra dollars im spending (i5's and i7's were on sale). I've tried to understand the hyperthreading features of the i7 but i am a bit too busy with finals to look into it. As i understand it the i7 is good for multitasking but I don't think i'll be doing that much. The most multitasking I might be doing is running a game (as highend as bf3). While running skype. Possibly but very unlikely fraps. With music. Would these programs be running at the same time with a gtx 660 ti processor and keep the framerate unchanged? Or should I just go with the i7. Thank you to any help!

In addition I forgot to mention I might use it to run solid works and auto cad. Or some graphics designs programs (none specific sense im just getting into graphic design)

More about : based

a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 10:38:59 PM

The i5 is better for gaming.You need a very expensive i7 to match the i5 for gaming.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 10:42:57 PM

Get the i5, no difference in performance in gaming or for your needs as you said.
The i7 helps with the hyper-threading on intensive apps outside gaming, like video/image editing.
m
l
!