Nvidea Physic verses AMD GPU and

mreagleye

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
:hello:
My old Dell XPS 720 came with a 8800 ultra GPU and an Ageia PPU, which I swaped out for a GTX 570 and was using 8800 Ulta as PPU

My new DEll XPS 8500 has a AMD 7900 series GPU

Would I be better off using my old graphics setup or would running the AMD with my Ageia PPU give me a better result.

I am pondering this while I wait for delivery of my new system, which is arriving tomorrow. I have downloaded all the necesary PPU drivers, ready for the install, and have read the thread on how to get the Ageia to work with latest Nvidia drivers, so neither will be a hassle to setup,

Just wondering if you guys have an opinion or suggsetion I'm a Full time gamer so getting this right is something I need to do
Thanks

Well, any 7900 series GPU is faster than the GTX 570, so you will see a performance increase in all games with that. PhysX is actually not supported by the vast majority of games, only about 23 games can actually use a PPU or nvidia card for PhysX processing, so even if you can't get the PhysX to work with the AMD card. I'd still stick with the AMD card unless Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Mafia II, or Metro 2033 are your favourite games of all time that you will play a lot. If you can't get the Ageia card to work, I believe you can get the 8800 Ultra to work as a PhysX card with the AMD video card using a hacked Nvidia driver.

mreagleye

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
thanks
In the 22 years I have been fooling around with PC's I have never used an AMD card or CPU always been Nvidia and Intel all the way
New PC is an
PROCESSOR: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)
MEMORY: 16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz Memory
VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 2GB DDR5
HARD DRIVE: 3TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with 32GB SSD SRT enhancement
OPTICAL DRIVE: Blu-ray Combo Drive (BD-R, DVD+/-RW), Write to CD/DVD
SOUND CARD: Integrated high definition 7.1 channel audio
WIRELESS NETWORK CARD: Dell Wireless 1703 (802.11 b/g/n) WLAN half mini-Card
plus either Ageia PPU or the 8800 Ultra as a PPU

I cant wait till tomorrow so I can get my hands on this little beauty

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
As I discovered when using my ageia vs my 8800gtx the ageia is about half as fast as the 8800. Good luck getting the drivers to work with an amd being the primary though. Then again you could actually look at some benchmarks and note that the 670 is a better card than any of the 7900 series save for the 7990.

As for games well lets just say theres more than 23
http://developer.nvidia.com/physx-games

and thats just a partial list.

The problem with that list is that not all those games use GPU accelerated PhysX. Most of those games use the PhysX SDK libraries, but run all the calculations on the CPU, so having a PhysX card won't benefit them at all. On that list, only Metro 2033, Unreal Tournament 3, Sacred 2 and Cryostasis actually use GPU accelerated PhysX.

mreagleye

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
unfortunately because this was an insurance claim, I am sorta stuck with what The insurance companies favoured supplier quoted on, as they won the quote for replacement wars.

Considering my origional CPU is 4 years old (cant remember exactly CPU but it is 2.4 MHzt had a q and a few 6's in its name) and the DEll xps 720 came with only 500 GB HD and 4GB RAM and TV Tuner Card, Ageia card, x-Fi 5.1 sound card 8800 ultra and B/Ray burner All of which I still have so i can slip them into new box, I last upgraded just prior to the GTX 600's was released. To a EVGA GTX 570 overclocked edition, and was pretty happy with the result, my old box could run SWTOR with everything maxed at 1600 x 1200 res.

The new box is a vast upgrade just wish I had had the chance to specify the GTX 600 series as vid card but. either way the AMD GPU or my GTX 570 will have to do until the next new Nvidia series comes out which probably isnt all that far away anyways.

Been unnable to play SWTOR or Diablo 3 for 2 and 3/4 months, now so will just be glad to have something that will run both those better. Oh, and DayZ which I am chuffing at the bit to have a go at.

Is there any reason why I would not be able to use the GTX 570 as my PPU rather then the 8800 ultra or is the 570 locked so it cant be used as PPU.