Solved

First time builder, need help?

So I'm building my first gaming desktop, and I think I have all my parts figured out, but I'm just wondering about the compatibility of the parts I have picked out. I read that only the CPU, MOBO, and RAM have to be compatible, but I just want to make sure that these parts are compatible and that they'll fit in my case. Thanks!

Here are my specs:

MOBO: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N5Q2MW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=gamingsquid-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005N5Q2MW

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOX80623I52500K-Core-i5-2500K-Processor/dp/B004EBUXHQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328205202&sr=1-1&tag=vglnk-c1001-20

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-Corsair-_-20233186

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=yh2vpbx3i1in

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

CPU COOLER: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=qzo8g0hpdofi

DVD-RW: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=1jttz4ujvpmiw

CASE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Cooler+Master-_-11119233

If any recommendations are to be made (which they are more than welcome), just fyi I'm trying to stay within this 900$ range.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first time builder help
  1. ram mobo and cpu would work together.
  2. Best answer
    Your list is compatible and appropriate.

    One item I would change is the raidmax psu. It is a tier 5 brand (not acceptable) on this list:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

    Buy a quality psu. Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, PC P&C, and Antec would be on my short list.

    If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $170, or a 3570K for $190. A very good deal.

    As a first time builder, take the time now to download and read, cover to cover, the motherboard and case manuals.
    Many questions will be answered.
  3. I asked around elsewhere and one person said my CPU and MOBO weren't compatible because my MOBO socket is Z68, and my processor socket is LGA1155.

    Now I look at the descriptions on the both of them, and I thought they both were just LGA1155.

    Am I wrong?
  4. geofelt said:
    Your list is compatible and appropriate.

    One item I would change is the raidmax psu. It is a tier 5 brand (not acceptable) on this list:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

    Buy a quality psu. Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, PC P&C, and Antec would be on my short list.

    If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $170, or a 3570K for $190. A very good deal.

    As a first time builder, take the time now to download and read, cover to cover, the motherboard and case manuals.
    Many questions will be answered.


    Everything looks good except the power supply. Raidmax makes a lot of truly awful products.

    Something like this would be far better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703036
  5. sc772a said:
    I asked around elsewhere and one person said my CPU and MOBO weren't compatible because my MOBO socket is Z68, and my processor socket is LGA1155.

    Now I look at the descriptions on the both of them, and I thought they both were just LGA1155.

    Am I wrong?


    You are correct, they are both compatible. Z77 is a newer chipset, and I would, as a preference, pick one of those since they are usually no more expensive. I happen to like smaller pc's. You might want to look at this ASRock Z77M LGA M-ATX motherboard for less:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157325
    If you want a smaller case, it will fit in the Silverstone TJ-08E case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163182


    Also, the launch of the GTX660 is imminent and is supposed to be a better competitor to the 7850 in the same price range.
    It might pay to check that out:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4869/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_2gb_reference_video_card_review/index.html

    If your budget permits, why not ditch the Hard drive initially, and use a SSD? A 120gb ssd will hold the os and a handful of games.
    It will make everything You do feel so much quicker. Later, if you need to store large files, like video's, you can always add a hard drive later.
    I would recommend an intel 330 series ssd for reliability. a 120gb unit is $130:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167121

    Or, a Samsung 830 unit for $99 would be my second choice:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163
  6. So, that new motherboard looks pretty good, and it looks to be just as powerful as the one I have picked out but a little cheaper.

    So that motherboard will still be compatible with my 2500k? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to be sure everything will work out.
  7. sc772a said:
    So, that new motherboard looks pretty good, and it looks to be just as powerful as the one I have picked out but a little cheaper.

    So that motherboard will still be compatible with my 2500k? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to be sure everything will work out.


    Yes.

    A M-atx motherboard has only 4 expansion slots vs. 7 for a full ATX motherboard.
    But.. how many expansion slots does one really need? For most of us, the answer is only one, for the graphics card.
    It will be compatible with the full atx case you selected.
  8. Best answer selected by sc772a.
  9. Ok.

    I'm thinking about spending a little more money and getting this.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Compatibility CPUs Systems Product