stano

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
Is there any advantages; heat, speed, ect. in using two sticks of 128 or one 256??? I'm getting the Abit KG7-Raid and will only use it for gameing. (I'd like to use some of the damn slots this board has for memory; is another way of putting it) O/Cing will be looked into some time down the road. I'm going to use Crucial ddr 2100 unless someone can tell me the advantages of 24001!?! (I'm going with raid so my loading times will be quicker, is the frame-mind I,m using in building this new system.)I see the answer to my question a few poast below mine so don't worry about it...thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stano on 08/18/01 01:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

aster

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
You should know that in order to use all 4 slots on the KG7 Mobo you must buy registered DIMMs. Memory is cheap right now I would not waste my time with 128MB DIMMs when a single 256MB PC2100 DIMM is only $45 straight from Crucial, with free shipping. See Link below to DDR PC2100 • CL=2.5 • Registered • ECC • 2.5V • 32Meg x 72 at crucial.com.

<A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT3272Y265" target="_new"> crucial CT3272Y265</A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Where did you find PC24001? :)

PC2400 is certified to go up to a 150MHz bus, so if you're going to overclock the FSB (as so many of us have :), then you'll want to get that.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The advantages of PC2400 is that it's garunteed to run at 150MHz FSB with DDR, which BTW AMD would call 300MHz. So you have garunteed room for overclocking.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

FatBurger

Illustrious
If AMD would call it 300MHz, what would Intel call it? Turbo-Bus©?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Who cares? AMD's misnaming the buses "200" and "266" was so successful that Intel had to perpetrate the same lie in order not to be percieved as "slower" by the ignorant public. Forgetting the problems of the P4, it's 100MHz bus does have a higher transfer rate being QDR.

FatBurger

Illustrious
So if it has a higher transfer rate, why is it such a terrible lie?

FatBurger

Illustrious
So it says it's faster...it IS faster...

My turn to be confused. Why is it so misleading?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Have you read the hundreds of messages from new guys asking dumb things like "AMD says their processor runs at 200MHz bus, while the fastest motherboard I can find will only go to 133, can I overclock the motherboard far enough to make it work at the specified 200MHz bus?" And "My PC runs 266 bus but the fastest memory I can find is PC150, can I overclock this to 266?" Or, "I just bought a new system. I went into BIOS and it said it was running at 133 bus. Did I get ripped off?" Etc. etc. etc.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, you're right. I was thinking of simply Intel vs AMD. I need to think outside the box :)
Good point, that's a huge problem.