  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
May 5, 2005 4:03:35 PM

Does anyone know hoe to remove the startup folder from the startmenu.

I am customising the startup menu by deleting the contents of the startup
menu and then copying down the shortcuts when each user logs in.
The only folder i cannot not get rid of is the startup folder. Even if i
delete the folder it recreates its self!!!!driving me mad!!!! Does anyone
know how to get around this??

Thanks
--
miss wje

More about : remove startup folder

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:43:01 PM

It's a System Folder that's why you cannot get rid of it. Check here
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6156-1304264,00.html

"wje" <wje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know hoe to remove the startup folder from the startmenu.
>
> I am customising the startup menu by deleting the contents of the startup
> menu and then copying down the shortcuts when each user logs in.
> The only folder i cannot not get rid of is the startup folder. Even if i
> delete the folder it recreates its self!!!!driving me mad!!!! Does anyone
> know how to get around this??
>
> Thanks
> --
> miss wje
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:00:06 AM

Thanks ....
--
miss wje

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> It's a System Folder that's why you cannot get rid of it. Check here
> http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6156-1304264,00.html
>

> "wje" <wje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know hoe to remove the startup folder from the startmenu.
> >
> > I am customising the startup menu by deleting the contents of the startup
> > menu and then copying down the shortcuts when each user logs in.
> > The only folder i cannot not get rid of is the startup folder. Even if i
> > delete the folder it recreates its self!!!!driving me mad!!!! Does anyone
> > know how to get around this??
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > miss wje

May 6, 2005 12:36:20 PM

Though you can't get rid of it, you can move it to another location so it doesn't appear on the start menu.

Remember that the folder you see on the start menu is a combination of both "...\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" and "...\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup", so both would need to be moved for the folder to disappear from the Start Menu.

On my system, I was able to move the <username> Startup folder using right-click, cut, paste (right-click + drag, 'move here' on release would also work)

To move the All Users Startup folder, I had to modify the registry value for 'Common Startup' found here:
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

and reboot before the system would allow me to move the folder.

Good Luck,
Keith

"wje" <wje@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BCB7613F-25A2-4799-993D-528EC48B13D9@microsoft.com...
> Does anyone know hoe to remove the startup folder from the startmenu.
>
> I am customising the startup menu by deleting the contents of the startup
> menu and then copying down the shortcuts when each user logs in.
> The only folder i cannot not get rid of is the startup folder. Even if i
> delete the folder it recreates its self!!!!driving me mad!!!! Does anyone
> know how to get around this??
>
> Thanks
> --
> miss wje
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 10:27:25 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?d2pl?=" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
>Does anyone know hoe to remove the startup folder from the startmenu.
>
> Even if i
>delete the folder it recreates its self!!!!driving me mad!!!! Does anyone
>know how to get around this??

You can't remove it, but you can remove every item from it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
September 24, 2010 8:23:35 PM

It's pretty easy. You can't delete the folder but you can 'Hide' it so you don't see it in the start menu. Simply right click-go to properties-check the attribute box entitled 'Hidden' (beneath the 'read only' box)-done... check your programs list and it should be gone :)
September 24, 2010 10:24:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey