Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer Build.

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 2, 2012 11:24:08 PM

Im pretty sure all of you are sick of seeing some random Noobs posting what they want in there custom build and what will work, Etc. Well I have a Few questions Before i decide what i would like in my build.

Graphics Card:
What Are streamline proccesors?
What is Core Clock?
What is effective memory clock?

Proccesor:
Does a Quad core 3.1 Ghz processor mean that it is 12.4 ghz total?
How can you tell if a processor is better then another one?
What Is overclocking?

Power Supply:
Does it Matter how many watts your power-supply is?

Motherboard:
How do you know if any parts are compatible with your motherboard or not?
Difference Between Micro Atx and Atx?
What Makes a mother board better then another one?

Memory:
This is not really a question but, the more memory the merrier right?

Thats about all my Questions hopefully after this i will have the basic knowledge to pick and choose the best parts for my build, ( i will need ur help for the build also )





More about : computer build

a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 11:39:00 PM

noobsammy said:
Im pretty sure all of you are sick of seeing some random Noobs posting what they want in there custom build and what will work, Etc. Well I have a Few questions Before i decide what i would like in my build.

Graphics Card:
What Are streamline proccesors?
What is Core Clock?
What is effective memory clock?

Proccesor:
Does a Quad core 3.1 Ghz processor mean that it is 12.4 ghz total?
How can you tell if a processor is better then another one?
What Is overclocking?

Power Supply:
Does it Matter how many watts your power-supply is?

Motherboard:
How do you know if any parts are compatible with your motherboard or not?
Difference Between Micro Atx and Atx?
What Makes a mother board better then another one?

Memory:
This is not really a question but, the more memory the merrier right?

Thats about all my Questions hopefully after this i will have the basic knowledge to pick and choose the best parts for my build, ( i will need ur help for the build also )



1) Core clock is the speed in which your Graphics Card's core is running at, the higher the better (not in all cases). For example, a Radeon HD6870 with a core clock of 900Mhz is NOT faster than a GTX580 with a core clock of 772Mhz. There are too many variables to consider including how efficient the GPU core is, etc. Best to do your research and look at benchmarks before you decide on a particular card.

2) No, a Quad Core CPU @ 3.1Ghz does NOT mean it's 12.4Ghz total :)  It just means EACH core is running at 3.1Ghz. This applies to Dual cores, Quad cores, Hexa Cores, and 8 Core CPU's.

3) Yes, your PSu wattage is VERY important. You don't want too little, you don't want too much. Quality of the power supply is very important as well. Cheap Power Supplies have a tendency to short out taking some other components with it.

4) ITX, MATX, ATX, these are just motherboard form factors (size of the board, basically).
You can tell if your motherboard is compatible with certain components, like the CPU for example, but looking at the socket type. The Intel Core i7 3770k CPU for example, is a socket LGA1155 type. It will NOT work in an LGA1156, LGA1366, or LGA2011 Motherboard. Pretty simple ;) 

What makes certain boards stand out from others are the features it has. Some may have USB 3.0, some may not. The list goes on and on. In this area, I would recommend taking a look at reviews for certain boards and components that may be compatible/incompatible with it.

5) The more the merrier, in a way, yes. But depending on what type of work load you will be doing with your PC, there's a maximum limit people will recommend you. For example, if all you're going to do on your computer is game, I would personally recommend a maximum of 8GB. Any more than that and you'll be wasting your money that you could be investing on some other components :) 

Sorry if this confused you in any way, please let me know if it did and I'll try to explain it to you the best I can.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 12:03:36 AM

Graphics card power is not about how all about stream/cuda processors it has, how high its clocked or how much is its memory.There's more to it.
There's a website called techpowerup which will rally help you understand how fast a certain card is.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/KFA2/GTX_680_Limited...
You can use the graphics card hierarchy by tomshardware but its not as accurate as the data from techpowerup.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-revi...


A processor's combined GHz doesnt really mean much.I mean its more about the processor's archetecture.There are other factors like how much cores can a program really use.
If you want to learn more about processor performance in general you should take a look at this article.
http://www.behardware.com/articles/846-17/intel-core-i7...
If you want to learn more about how CPU's perform in gaming you should take a look at this link below.Note that in gaming Intel Core i5 2500K is as fast as a Intel Core i7 2600K.Also Intel Core i3 2100 is a bit faster than Intel Core i5 661(maybe 2-5%).
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-7970-cpu-scalin...
Generally intel processors are better per clock than AMD ones but AMD processors compensate this by adding more cores and also being clocked higher.


Power supply wattage does matter.But the quality of the power supply is much more important.For example a cheap, generic 400w power supply can only deliver 250w of power, while a high quality 400w power supply can deliver around 450-500w of power.
Power supplies use different rails to deliver power to different components.The 12V rail is by far the most important as it delivers power to your main components such as CPU and GPU.Multiply the Ampers on the PSU's 12V rail by 12 and you'll see how much power it can provide to your most important parts.(50A * 12V = 600W)

For the motherboard you need to look at the socket type.
http://techreport.com/r.x/socket-am3/socket-am3.jpg
This above is a socket.

AMD II Phenom CPU's run on AM2+,AM3 and AM3+ motherboards
AMD FX CPU's run on some AM3 motherboards (the ones with black sockets) and AM3+ motherboards.
Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU's run on LGA 1155 motherboards.(Im talking about the new ones.Older Core i3/i5/i7 CPU's can work on either LGA 1156 or LGA 1366 motherboards)
http://www.cpu-world.com/
You can look up a CPU's socket tyoe in this website.
ATX is the standard motherboard Size.Micro ATX is a bit smaller.M-ATX motherboards are usualy cheaper but arent very good if you want to use multiple graphics cards or want to overclock.


Memory:
Not really.Unless you use 20 programs at once or something 8GB will be enough for you.Even 4GB is enough for most people (me included).More memory doesnt make you PC any faster.Even faster memory doesnt have a big effect on performance.When buying memory you should look at its speed, latency and voltage.
For a new system you want your RAM to be at least DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) CL9 1.5V or above.You should also use two sticks of ram at once as it provides double the bandwidth which increases system performance.Anything more than dual channel is overkill.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 12:12:22 AM

Kamen_BG said:
Memory:
Not really.Unless you use 20 programs at once or something 8GB will be enough for you.Even 4GB is enough for most people (me included).More memory doesnt make you PC any faster.Even faster memory doesnt have a big effect on performance.When buying memory you should look at its speed, latency and voltage.
For a new system you want your RAM to be at least DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) CL9 1.5V or above.You should also use two sticks of ram at once as it provides double the bandwidth which increases system performance.Anything more than dual channel is overkill.


True, unless the person looking to go Quad/Triple Channel needs the extra bandwidth.
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 12:34:04 AM

Holy **** you guys reply fast. Well anyways, the computer i want to build will be used 50 % Youtube 1080p videos, Face-Book, And things of that nature. While the other 50% will Be playing Games like Left 4 dead 2, Assasins creed 3 ( cant wait for it ) And Left 4 dead 2, Im not a cod fan but maby now and then a shooter game.

Any recommendations for Mother Boards to start the build off?

I have been looking at processors and my Limit is around 100 (like 110 is max) and i found These

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I found this series very cheap for what it offers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspxSubmit=EN...

So yea

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 12:38:12 AM

noobsammy said:
Holy **** you guys reply fast. Well anyways, the computer i want to build will be used 50 % Youtube 1080p videos, Face-Book, And things of that nature. While the other 50% will Be playing Games like Left 4 dead 2, Assasins creed 3 ( cant wait for it ) And Left 4 dead 2, Im not a cod fan but maby now and then a shooter game.

Any recommendations for Mother Boards to start the build off?

I have been looking at processors and my Limit is around 100 (like 110 is max) and i found These

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I found this series very cheap for what it offers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspxSubmit=EN...

So yea


What is your budget for your entire build? And do you know your monitor resolution? I can whip you up a parts list if you tell me those two things :) 
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 1:03:56 AM

Well Honestly my monitor is undecided, i might go spare monitor, or i might get a 1080p monitor, Either way the budget on my computer is around 600, if necessary i could boost it to 630 or so.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 1:12:36 AM

Here ya go :)  I just recently recommended this exact rig to someone else on this forum, outstanding performance for how much it costs.

Intel Core i3 2120 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock H77M - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL9 RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX Core Radeon HD7850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Samsung Sinpoint F3 1TB HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX Core 550w PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total comes down to $603.94 with discounts ($15 off on PSU, $15 off on HDD)

The GPU has a $20 rebate, so that's a total price of $583.94 after all discounts.
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 1:28:37 AM

Well... You forgot to state a case, i was sort of hoping that the case would be in the 600 dollar budget. And as i said, im honestly not going 100 percent hardcore gaming on this, So this is what im thinking, A 180 dollar video card which frees up around 40 dollars to the case, Also Why the i3 processor, I see the Amd FX-6100 zambazi for around the same price, with the same GHz but Hex Core, Which what i understood from previous threads Is better.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 1:39:52 AM

noobsammy said:
Well... You forgot to state a case, i was sort of hoping that the case would be in the 600 dollar budget. And as i said, im honestly not going 100 percent hardcore gaming on this, So this is what im thinking, A 180 dollar video card which frees up around 40 dollars to the case, Also Why the i3 processor, I see the Amd FX-6100 zambazi for around the same price, with the same GHz but Hex Core, Which what i understood from previous threads Is better.


AMD FX in general is a terrible CPU series. I would prefer the Phenom II X4's, but given the chance to grab an i3, I would go for Intel without a doubt.

The Intel Core i3 is one of the best CPU's you can get for gaming at it's price point, while maintaining an extremely good upgrade path. There are plenty of threads out there if you would like to look it up. i3 2120 > FX 8150 for gaming from benchmarks and reviews.

Intel Core i3 2120 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock H77M - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL9 RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sapphire Radeon HD6850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Samsung Sinpoint F3 1TB HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX Core 550w PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Newegg offers free shipping on all these components at the moment.

Grand total is $593.93 with all discounts applied.

Include rebates from the Graphics card, and other components and you'll have a lower total cost as well.

Just to add, I emphasize on 'gaming CPU' a lot, but that does not mean that the i3 isn't capable of doing some heavy multi tasking. If you're going to edit photos, stream HD videos, and play games at the same time, then yeah, you may want to go the FX route just because of it's physical cores. But if you're going to be doing some casual multi tasking (gaming while browsing the web, skype, playing HD videos, etc), i3 is more than capable of doing anything you ask, and even more.
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 4:33:10 PM

My computer is not next to the Modem, so im going to need wireless internet enabled on this. IS there anyway i can do so?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 4:52:51 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 6:03:04 PM

Cases for the most part are personal preference, but need to consider airflow, durability, ease of use. Your gaming experience would be better with the 7850 that Mocchan first suggested. Check out this case from NZXT, saves money and allows for at least a 6870.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
August 4, 2012 3:50:27 AM

Wait a second I have no budget for that 7850, so its going to be the 6870.
Im going to need a cd drive to play my games, Is that a cd burner or player?
I need wireless internet on my desktop is that included with the mother board or is that extra? Link to one Please.
And That NZXT is pretty good looking for its price, Probabbly going to use it.
And Just for Arguments sake, Just4Today What CPU Do you think i should get for a 50 percent gaming 50 percent multitasking online rig? i3 or Amd fx or phenom?
m
0
l
August 4, 2012 9:26:15 PM

Ok i managed to find some good Deals,
I can afford an i5 - 2500 Quad core 3.3 ghz.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Xfx 7850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2 * 4 gb G.Skill
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Asrock h77m lga motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Raidmax Power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SunBeam Evo Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: 610 Dollars with rebate, How does it sound

What do you guys think :p 
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 3:46:48 AM

Azeem an 1350 is out of my budet,
Also the psu ur recommended is also to expensive,
and psu for 40 bucks and less you recommend?
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 3:51:45 AM

None. That PSU is crap. You HAVE to spend more on the PSU. It is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of your computer.
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 5:45:49 AM

Woops wow, i forgot all about the storage ._.
Well that takes the i5 down to the i3.
And the xfx 7850 will have to do as a Sapphire radeon 6850.
That frees around 100 bucks.
id say 20 more for the power supply you recommended and 80 on the storage
m
0
l
August 5, 2012 6:10:06 AM

Update on Build

asrock 77m mother board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sapphire Radeon HD6850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102908

Samsung Sinpoint F3 1TB HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822152185

Antec psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

sunbeam evo case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i3 2100 cpu
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Grand total: 565$ Which i think is beast
Dont forget i need a cd drive to burn the cd And a wireless adapter please help with that, dont want to spend over 40 on those two so please be reasonable. Also i realized the 6850 might not fit in the mother board because its 2.1 pci express, not sure if im right just want you guys to check for me because im a noob.
m
0
l
August 6, 2012 4:53:38 AM

Wow after Tons of looking at *** online i managed to compile a decent list for around 650 dollars.

New-egg stuff:

Antec psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817371030

asrock 77m mother board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157303

Sapphire Radeon HD6850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102908

Micro center stuff:

Ballistix Sport 8GB
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

V3 Black Edition Case
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

I5 2500K Intel Processor http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200RPM SATA
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

SATA DVD Drive
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

TL-WN851ND Wireless N PCI Adapter
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

What do you guys think?
Is everything good for each-other?
Will the Graphics card be compatible with the Mobo?
Is the wireless adapter compatible with mobo?
m
0
l
!