New build for under $500

Description

Savings

Total Price


LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM Item #: N82E16827106289Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Protect Your Investment (expand for options)





$17.99


RAIDMAX Reiter ATX-305WBP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply Item #: N82E16811156263Return Policy: Standard Return Policy


$49.99


BIOSTAR TA75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Item #: N82E16813138333Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Protect Your Investment (expand for options)



-$20.00 Instant


$89.99$69.99


G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Item #: N82E16820231314Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy


$45.99


OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Item #: N82E16820227729Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant


$109.99$89.99


Subtotal:

$273.95


what processor should I get I prefer AMD because they have better multitasking power
I like to make videos with After Effects and make GFX with Photoshop
I also like to run servers and play on them while I record me playing. For youtube purposes and GFX purposes I want to be able to play pretty much any game on ps3 and most on xbox 360 on low settings at least.Also I would like a good eyefinity Graphics card
121 answers Last reply
More about build
  1. Fill this out, it will make it a lot easier for suggesting you parts:) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice
  2. If you're doing a gaming rig, I would never suggest an AMD processor unless you want to risk the CPU burning out. And please revise you post. It is a giant mess.
  3. bogo663 said:
    If you're doing a gaming rig, I would never suggest an AMD processor unless you want to risk the CPU burning out. And please revise you post. It is a giant mess.


    CPU burning out?
  4. Please fill out the sticky.
    An AMD CPU is not going to "burn out," unless you're trying desperately to overclock it to the point of matching a stock Intel CPU. I'm not a fanboy (note my primary rig below is AMD), but any new system built today for games should be Intel. Reviews consistently show that there is no longer any price point at which Intel does not outperform AMD, sometimes substantially. With even some H61 boards including SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0, AMD has also lost the chipset advantage they once held as well.
    Finally, do not use a PSU-shaped object from Raidmax, especially one that comes in a case. It will be a piece of overrated, unstable junk barely fit to power light bulbs. You'll want a quality modern PSU with some level of 80+ certification (the Antec VP-450 is a good unit; the exception to that rule). Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. FSP has some decent units too.
  5. Here you go mate:

    GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2PV(R2.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $65
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128537

    Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz - $88
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116397

    Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply - $38
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045#top

    Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600Desktop Memory - $30
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148488

    Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $50
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

    MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 - $125
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687


    SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM - $17 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244#top Total: $413 :)
  6. bogo663 said:
    If you're doing a gaming rig, I would never suggest an AMD processor unless you want to risk the CPU burning out. And please revise you post. It is a giant mess.
    :lol: How would it burn out? I am very curious how that is going to happen unless he try to heavy oc on stock heatsink i seriously doubt it will be burning out if used properly ;)
  7. im going to start over so look at the new build to find my thread please
  8. Ok here's a build. My focus was on "cheap," BUT constrained by there's nothing listed here I wouldn't buy myself (and some I have):

    Rosewill R218-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Model #:R218-P-BK
    Item #:N82E16811147073
    $29.99 $29.99
    I have built in this case. For a cheap case, it is reasonably sturdy, and its fan is quiet while moving enough air. I don't recall cutting myself. I like Rosewill cases, and you can get something a lot nicer without spending a whole lot more.

    ASRock B75M-GL LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Model #:B75M-GL
    Item #:N82E16813157326
    $69.99 -$10.00 Instant $59.99
    I've had good results from ASRock motherboards. I choose either them or Asus.

    HIS H667F1GD Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card with Eyefinity
    Model #:H667F1GD
    Item #:N82E16814161375
    Mail in Rebate Card
    $89.99 -$10.00 Instant $79.99
    This is the weakest card you should possibly consider for playing games, and really you'll want something stronger here if at all possible. In general, HD6670 < HD7750 < HD7770 <= HD6850 < GTX560 <= HD6870 < HD7850.

    Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply
    Model #:VP-450
    Item #:N82E16817371045
    $49.99 -$12.00 Instant $37.99
    This will power any of the graphics cards I list above. I probably wouldn't use it for a GTX560Ti or HD7870.

    Intel Pentium G630 Sandy Bridge 2.7GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G630
    Model #:BX80623G630
    Item #:N82E16819116406
    $67.99 $67.99
    Depending on the game, you may wish to improve this before you improve the graphics card. If you play MMOs or run a lot of things other than games, step this up to at least an i3. For shooters, upgrade the graphics card first.

    G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS
    Model #:F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS
    Item #:N82E16820231394
    $23.99 $23.99
    I have always had excellent results with G.Skill RAM; no DOA and no RMA, and it has worked at advertised timings.

    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Model #:WD5000AAKX
    Item #:N82E16822136769
    $84.99 -$15.00 Instant $69.99
    A little small, but performance is decent. It is easy to add more drives in the future.

    Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM
    Model #:AD-7280S-0B
    Item #:N82E16827118067
    $16.99 $16.99
    Meh. One optical drive is much like another. If you want Lightscribe, you'll pay another few $$.

    Subtotal: $386.92
    There's enough left over for Windows 7 if you don't have it, or to selectively upgrade one or more of the listed parts.
  9. I dont want another dual core I need this build to last awhile
  10. I need quad core or higher because I record,play,run a server, and watch youtube all at the same time
  11. cstiles96 said:
    I need quad core or higher because I record,play,run a server, and watch youtube all at the same time


    You are going to need a larger budget it you plan on doing all that at the same time.
  12. You are not being realistic. However I came up with a nice build but it goes a little over the budget. Take a look anyway so you can get more ideas.

    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    $19.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

    Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $39.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147023

    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    $69.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

    ASRock 770iCafe AM3+ AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    $60.99http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157291

    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ...
    $149.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

    Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    $59.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

    Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C9D3K2/4G
    $25.69 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104155

    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
    $109.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

    Total is $536.62 plus shipping
  13. cstiles96 said:
    I need quad core or higher because I record,play,run a server, and watch youtube all at the same time
    Well if your gun ho with going with AMD i would suggest for CPU AMD FX-8150 or AMD FX-8120 or AMD FX-6100 although your budget can't afford any really so i don't know what your going do but best of good luck :)
  14. What will be your monitor resolution?
  15. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/357396-31-build-help#bas


    I hope that link works if not go to the thread I posted about New buld Help!!!
  16. What PSU wattage would I need for the core i5 2500k?
  17. 1920x 1200 the best hopefully idk yet
  18. cstiles96 said:
    What PSU wattage would I need for the core i5 2500k?
    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection! Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.And,i would need to know your GPU and how many drives led fans elect you plan to use before i could tell you.
  19. .
    Youngster

    More Information


    Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)

    Budget Range: (e.g.: $300-$500) After Shipping

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: , gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

    Are you buying a monitor: IDK if its Cheap but good


    Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) everything building new pc

    Do you need to buy OS: yes


    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.comLocation: cedar springs michigan US
    Parts Preferences: by brand or type: doesnt matter if I get what I want out of it

    Overclocking: No /

    SLI or Crossfire: whats that?

    Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200 I would want both of these or just 1920 x 1200 but two or more

    Additional Comments: No speacial bling just cheap and cold ish I dont want no over heating, I use After effects < Photo shop, I play minecraft and arma 2, but my pc is weak and I need a new one to give me more power so I would like to Run all games if possible

    And Most Importantly, having trouble with games and multitasking power

    My shopping cart:
    http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ [...] ubmit=view
  20. LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM Item #: N82E16827106289Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

    $17.99


    RAIDMAX Reiter ATX-305WBP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply Item #: N82E16811156263Return Policy: Standard Return Policy


    $49.99

    BIOSTAR TA75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Item #: N82E16813138333Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    $69.99

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Item #: N82E16820231314Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
    $45.99


    OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Item #: N82E16820227729Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy



    $89.99


    Subtotal:

    $273.95
  21. cstiles96 said:
    .
    Youngster

    More Information


    Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)

    Budget Range: (e.g.: $300-$500) After Shipping

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: , gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

    Are you buying a monitor: IDK if its Cheap but good


    Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) everything building new pc

    Do you need to buy OS: yes


    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.comLocation: cedar springs michigan US
    Parts Preferences: by brand or type: doesnt matter if I get what I want out of it

    Overclocking: No /

    SLI or Crossfire: whats that?

    Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200 I would want both of these or just 1920 x 1200 but two or more

    Additional Comments: No speacial bling just cheap and cold ish I dont want no over heating, I use After effects < Photo shop, I play minecraft and arma 2, but my pc is weak and I need a new one to give me more power so I would like to Run all games if possible

    And Most Importantly, having trouble with games and multitasking power

    My shopping cart:
    http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ [...] ubmit=view
    It says this when i click your link bud
    403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
    You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.
  22. bigcyco1 said:
    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT a crucial factor in power supply selection! Total Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.And,i would need to know your GPU and how many drives led fans elect you plan to use before i could tell you.



    how much was your pc minus all the hard drives ?
  23. cstiles96 said:
    how much was your pc minus all the hard drives ?
    what do you mean the cost?If so i don't recall it was over 1,000.00 though .If you are trying to figure out the power supply requirement it doesn't work like that :lol: just tell me your GPU and the amount of ssd and hard drives you plan to use in your build and i will recommend you the cheapest possible reliable PSU that will work for you.
  24. well how do you like your i5?
  25. cstiles96 said:
    well how do you like your i5?
    I like it very much i wouldn't trade it for any other CPU :D
  26. I was just wondering what your pc was in terms of price with out all of your hard drive I only need a 120gb ssd and at least 750 external but im going to get like 2tb external
  27. whats your GPU. im not a fan boy of AMD I just think for video editing and photo editing it would be better but am i wrong?
  28. Well I want 4 cores , 8 gig of ram, 12oGb ssd a case to hold it all and keep it cool and easy ish to upgrade and I would apreciate dual graphics cards one for gaming and another eyefinity for multiple monitors
  29. cstiles96 said:
    I was just wondering what your pc was in terms of price with out all of your hard drive I only need a 120gb ssd and at least 750 external but im going to get like 2tb external
    well my motherboard is allot of money cost about $350 and you wouldn't need something like that the cheapest decent PSU would be the one i listed in the build i did for you that would work with your build and a 6670 or 7770 or 6850 video card
  30. cstiles96 said:
    Well I want 4 cores , 8 gig of ram, 12oGb ssd a case to hold it all and keep it cool and easy ish to upgrade and I would apreciate dual graphics cards one for gaming and another eyefinity for multiple monitors
    That would cost you around 1,000.00 for a dual graphics cards set up
  31. cstiles96 said:
    whats your GPU. im not a fan boy of AMD I just think for video editing and photo editing it would be better but am i wrong?
    My GPU i have two GTX 570 as for your other question for photo editing and video editing/rending the i7 would be best i suppose a AMD 8 core would get the job done as well.
  32. cstiles96 said:
    Well I want 4 cores , 8 gig of ram, 12oGb ssd a case to hold it all and keep it cool and easy ish to upgrade and I would apreciate dual graphics cards one for gaming and another eyefinity for multiple monitors

    You aren't going to do all that with a $500 budget. If you start with mine and add $100 for Windows 7, you're already almost to $500. You'll need to spend another $111 to get an i5-2310 (the cheapest Intel quad core); and another $100 or so on the SSD. One AMD graphics card can run three monitors, but do not expect to play games across three monitors unless you get a much more expensive graphics card; nothing less than a HD7850 and I suspect you'll hear a lot more voices urging you on to a HD7950 or HD7970. That means a beefier PSU as well.
    If you try to do all the things you list with an AMD quad core, it will likely bog down and provide very disappointing performance. Piledriver may change that, but that's not how I'd bet until I'd seen multiple, convincing benchmarks.
    The system I listed won't do well at all those things at once, but it is a start, and can be upgraded to do so, as your budget allows. If you choose that course of action, start with a stronger PSU else you will have wasted your money on the weaker one. Look for a decent unit in the 550W-650W range; Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, or XFX.
  33. ok Ill look into it thanks
  34. Onus said:
    You aren't going to do all that with a $500 budget. If you start with mine and add $100 for Windows 7, you're already almost to $500. You'll need to spend another $111 to get an i5-2310 (the cheapest Intel quad core); and another $100 or so on the SSD. One AMD graphics card can run three monitors, but do not expect to play games across three monitors unless you get a much more expensive graphics card; nothing less than a HD7850 and I suspect you'll hear a lot more voices urging you on to a HD7950 or HD7970. That means a beefier PSU as well.
    If you try to do all the things you list with an AMD quad core, it will likely bog down and provide very disappointing performance. Piledriver may change that, but that's not how I'd bet until I'd seen multiple, convincing benchmarks.
    The system I listed won't do well at all those things at once, but it is a start, and can be upgraded to do so, as your budget allows. If you choose that course of action, start with a stronger PSU else you will have wasted your money on the weaker one. Look for a decent unit in the 550W-650W range; Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, or XFX.
    +1 this is solid good advice OP you could go with his build or mine makes no difference mine has a stronger GPU and better case other than that his is great and cheaper. ;)
  35. would the i5 2500k be good for that until i can upgrade and Could I with my set up?
  36. well I would like to run a server and record while I play with little to no lag like a minecraft server not much bigger maybe arma 2 but thats all. I wouldnt play on all screens untill I had an eyefinity that could but I would like have a window open like wiki or something on another screen. My system currnetly is an acer ASPIRE x3910 4gb ram and its a pentium dual core cpu ES 700 @ 3.0ghz 64 bit operating system
  37. cstiles96 said:
    Yes it does ;)
  38. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dLLu
    that should be what im looking at
  39. You might not need to upgrade from the i5-2500K. That chip could be used in the board I suggested, but you would probably want a more expensive Z68 or Z77 board to take proper advantage of it. Add a $30 cooler (like a Xigmatek Gaia) to it, and you should be able to reach at least 4GHz, probably higher.
  40. so eould that be a good system its over budget but I can get that i think
  41. oops would, but would there be any cheaper changes without losing too much power ?
  42. oops would, but would there be any cheaper changes without losing too much power ?
  43. cstiles96 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dLLu
    that should be what im looking at
    looks good change the PSU to the XFX it's cheaper and that is a rather weak GPU but if it will do what you want then go for it. :)
  44. Asus P8Z68-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    hows about this one
  45. cstiles96 said:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dLLu
    that should be what im looking at

    I'd avoid anything from Logisys (known to make junk) or Crappermaster (proven to be dishonest, so not worthy of support no matter how good that cooler is; I get harangued for saying that, but supporting dishonesty is what lets it flourish).
    If the Rosewill case in my build was too plain, look at some of their more advanced models. Being Newegg's house brand, many of them have free or reduced shipping.

    Edit: I agree with bigcyco1 that you've selected a weak GPU; the HD6570 is even weaker than the HD6670. That's the sort of card you'd add to a system to support an additional monitor. You could start there, but if you intend to play games, I'd recommend a HD7770 or HD6850 as a more comfortable minimum.
  46. what gpu would you suggest
  47. Case is rubbish, get a HAF 912, and jtt283 get over yourself.
  48. I did a build for my wife best friend son using this case it's actually really well build and bigger than it looks it also has the eye candy and side window most the youngsters are into today it might be a bit out your reach though as it is 59.99 Case:NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146025#top
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Policy Systems Product