Twitcher with camera needs mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello
My brother, a birdwatcher has recently acquired a spotting scope. He'd like
to mount his 20D on it. Anyone know a company that makes mounts?

Any help is great.

Thanks

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:35:33 +0100, "DAVID TENNYSON"
<anyone4tennis1@lycos.com> wrote:

>Hello
>My brother, a birdwatcher has recently acquired a spotting scope. He'd like
>to mount his 20D on it. Anyone know a company that makes mounts?

He can't mount the scope directly on the 20D. He would need an adapter
to mount to mount the spotting scope to one of his existing lenses but
all he would get is a very slow lens with a fixed f no AF, no camera
metering and a system which will vignette badly if not careful. I
did this years ago with an 8X Zeiss monocular to a 50mm F2 Ziess
Planar using a Ziess adapter to get a very compact f16 400mm lens and
it wasn't worth it.

He needs to buy a lens made for the camera.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

In message <430f52c6$1_3@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, DAVID TENNYSON
<anyone4tennis1@lycos.com> writes
>Hello
>My brother, a birdwatcher has recently acquired a spotting scope. He'd like
>to mount his 20D on it. Anyone know a company that makes mounts?

What make is the scope? I know for a fact that Zeiss make a dedicated
universal threaded adapter that attaches the scope to the camera body
(not the camera lens) - I've tried one. I would imagine that the other
big players such as Swarovski, Leica & Kowa would also offer similar
adaptors.

The main problem is focussing. Manual focussing is bad enough at the
best of times but for a moving target such as a bird and very fine
focussing required on a powerful scope, it's just a bit hit and miss.
However if he already owns one of the top scopes it is possibly a good
way to get high magnification at minimal extra cost. The adaptor I tried
was around 250 UKP. You also need the Canon threaded adaptor ring (can't
remember the special name for it) but that's only a few UKP/dollars.
--
Paul Flackett