Can't install Windows on my SSD/new build

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
*sigh* it seems my new build just doesn't want to work easily...
My SSD is Crucial m4 series, 256 GB.

I have a copy of windows XP 64 bit, and a copy of Win 7 64 upgrade from XP version - home premium familiy edition.

Now back at my two other rigs, I had to install in the following way (on my HDD):
Install windows XP, finish installation until you reach the desktop.
Restart, boot from DVD.
Install Windows 7 64 bit Home premium
Choose CUSTOM install.

It always worked perfectly.

Now my Asus Sabertooth Z77 bios is set to AHCI mode - for SATA by default - I know I need this for optimal SSD.
When I try to install windows - in the blue install screenafter booting from DVD - I get a BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!
The BSOD happens every time, just a moment after "windows is starting up".

It happened twicealready, I don't want to screw my drive.

PLEASE assit if you can!
thx

g-unit1111

Titan
What do you have your primary boot device set as? Do you have the hard drive recognition pattern set in the BIOS correctly? When you install Windows it should be set as:

BOOT ORDER 1: CD-ROM
BOOT ORDER 2: HARD DRIVE 1
BOOT ORDER 3: HARD DRIVE 2
BOOT ORDER 4: USB / NETWORK

Now is the Windows 7 disc you are using an OEM version or is it an upgrade from XP? That might be an issue there as well.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I think I solved my power problem.
And well, now I can't install the windows. I have to do the method I listed above, and again, it worked perfectly fine on 2 older rigs I recently reinstalled (on hdd's).

I will send you the stop error soon. gotta go to eat. but it says something about harddrive, and something about having to shut down to protect system.
Please answer what you can.. be back soon.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Ok, first, using my Asus Sabertooth bios my boot order is simply:
CD-ROM
Crucial M4, 246000 mb etc... (more or less)

Now yes it's an upgrade version. I have both original XP 64 bit, and Win 7 64 bit.
I installed it on two pcs after format in the same fasion I noted above, and it worked perfectly.

Now the BSOD happens after it retrive data, loads and stuff (in the bluish windows install screen) right before he completes the initial setups before youget the first menu.

Jay, g-unit1111
here is the STOP message:

0x0000007B, (0xfffffad5d2323, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, AND THEN a huge string of zeroses)

more or less.

EDIT: the first time it happened, I accidently pressed "boot override" in BIOS, on the DVD I think, and it automaticall exited BIOS and launched the windows XP install, then crashed. don't know if it matters anything <<<<<

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I don't get to install 7.
I need to first install XP on my never used SSD.
Then right after that, restart, and put win 7 upgrade disc, boot from dvd again and install win 7.
did it on two systems and it worked perfectly.
But can't finish step 1 now..

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Jay this is irrelevent.
I try to install an OS on clean system, the crash happens just before I get the choose how to install, etc, menus, while windows install is loading.
You know my build JAy, you know it's brand new, it has nothing to do with those things, unless I miss something.

Maybe I need to turn off AHCI mode of the SATA before I install win xp.
And turn it BACK ON before I install win 7?
Will it work? or will it screw my optimal AHCI mode SSD..

g-unit1111

Titan

The reason I was asking was because I did this last night - I wiped the primary HD, installed Windows Vista 64 bit on it, then installed the Windows 7 as an upgrade copy which loads the old OS into a folder called "Windows.old". Have you been able to successfully install Windows on your SSD? And what SSD are you using?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

No, I can't install Windows XP 64 bit, so I can't move on. PLEASE HELP.
Well my SSD is Crucial 256 GB m4 series (the newest).

EDIT: Really starting to lose hope here....

Maybe its the AHCI mode? < < < < < <
btw bios shows my sata have like 246 or a bit more... not 256.

g-unit1111

Titan

You don't know what SSD you are using? There should be a sticker on the drive itself that says. The reason there is you could go to the manufacturer's website and try updating the firmware from a blank CD.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
OK Jay, g-unit, I tried going to BIOS, Advanced, SATA config, and changed my SATA mode to IDE like Jay said.
I managed to get into the first menu of the XP install
Should I go for it ?
I really want to install Win7 on the AHCI mode, everyone told me its very important.

g-unit1111

Titan

I don't think I would try to run an SSD in IDE mode, and I'm really puzzled that you would keep getting those messages with an M4. The boot drive should always be plugged into SATA 0 and set as the primary in the BIOS, that should clear up any OS confusion.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

What?
please explain exactly whats that, and how I do it ? I can try it.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Jay I can try it, but I really want to check what g-unit said about making sure the boot dive is plugged into SATA 0, can you tell me how?

And, well, I haveno keyboard on the windows intall screen :S..... mind you, my keyboard is logitech g17.. I need to set something in bios right? (oh and I plugged my keyboard on USB3, and my DVD drive on SATA 2, my SSD on SATA 3).
sry for the long reply.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I think it counts as if Its on the secondry sata...
Something like, when I go to SATA configure screen:
SATA 6g/s 1 brown: not present.
SATA 6g/s 2 brown: crucial m4 etc...
SATA 3g/s 3 black: not present
.SATA 3g/s 6 black: DVD sony etc..
SATA 6g/s 7 gray: not present
SATA 6g/s 8 gray: not present

Should I change my SSD location?? I really not sure it metters that much, especially since on IDE mode I can get to win install menu.