Mar 12, 2011
Canadian Currency Only. Cheap rig built 2 years ago:

CPU: Athlon II X3 455 @ 3.93
Motherboard: MSI 870-G45
GPU: Radeon 5670 HD
PSU: Corsair TX650 (recently upgraded)
Resolution: 1680x1050 (not changing)
Budget: ($250 with tax and shipping)

Looking to purchase Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti That comes just under my max budget. I know my cpu is not the greatest but I am also leaving room to upgrade to a i5-3570k with a z77 motherboard. I will need the quad core because I edit photos and videos. Is it a good card to purchase at my resolution? I'm not looking to max out games but I would like to play battlefield 3 on high with at least 40 fps. I know it might be asking too much but can it keep playing games on high for at least 2 years with OC given I stay at same resolution?

deepb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
At that resolution, a 560ti or 6950 should be enough to get you 40 fps on high. See which one you can get for a better deal and it should last you for a couple of years.

Unknownvirus

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

That looks like a nice deal, unfortunately it is out of my budget. I was thinking maybe it might be too much for this resolution as I'm not looking to max out games. If the 7850 is really worth it over the GTX 560 ti, I may consider just getting the CPU and MOBO upgrade first. By then I can save up more and maybe wait for nvidia's offering against the 7850. All I'm looking for is the best bang for buck that will play games on high for at least 2 years.

The problem is that you just cant buy a card at your budget that will be sure to last 2 years. You could well get away with it given the slow pace of improvement in the games industry which has been stagnated by the fact that most games are coded for Consoles and are ported to the PC, which keeps system requirements down.

Having said that there are games out there that are starting to challenge the hardware with a few new releases coming soon that have the potential to challenge the currant hardware further.

The GTX 560Ti is a fine card for what you are looking to do. Also worth considering, will the software you use to do your editing benefit from Cuda ? If so then AMD cards should be removed from the equation all together.

Your not going to be loosing enough performance to make the extra for the 7850 worth it, allowing for your statement that you will over clock the GPU it should outperform a standard 7850 anyway. Over clocking is not guaranteed though.

My plan for your rig would be this.
Get the 560, this keeps you to your budget and then follow your planned Z77 upgrade. If along the way you can cut a few financial corners like staying with the 560Ti and maybe settling on a lower cost Z77 board, then you may end up being able to afford a nice 1920X1080p monitor which will make a huge difference to your gaming experience as well as your image editing.

Its hard to compromise sometimes but ask yourself before buying. Do I NEED that or do I WANT that.

Mactronix :)

dosdecarnitas

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
i was to considering a Z77 motherboard and the MSI MicroATX with SLI and Crossfire support looks nice if you go witha 7850 because later on you cpould crossfire and a 3450, thats ... mmm lets add. 199 cpu plus 120 mobo and 250 for the sapphire 7850, .... mmm 569dlls, nice for a Potentially overlocked i5 and a nice upgradable system

dosdecarnitas

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
i know GTX560ti is an excellent card, but for 50 dlls more u get at least 30% more , and if Unknownvirus wants 2 years worth of RIG, i recommend some Crossfire later on,

I know NVidia maybe your choice but hell GTX670 is way more expensive, personally i will buy a GTX670, seems the more wise buy

85c at max load, some even get lower temps... no i think it is a underdog that has been given bad rep for a long time.

Power hungry, yes, but the OP has a PSU that is overkill for the 480.

Can you link to the 480 that is available for $210 please. My reasoning is that you are posting video and stating temps for a card that is over clocked and has third party cooling.
Just wondering if the card you are talking about is an over clocked model with decent third party cooling as well. If it is then great. The OP should seriously consider it. If its not then you are being a little misleading.

Just wanting clarity on the point is all.

Mactronix :)

dosdecarnitas

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
well maybe if you put some arctic cooling thermalpaste and have a decent airflow you can easily get nice with it,

in that defense i had a 4870 which i used in a NZXT case with AMAZING air flow and it never got hot, and i sold it to a friend and he put in those cramped up Thermaltake desktop lanboxes, ... that thing overheated like a grill

Cromat88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
i was gonna get a MSI 480GTX lightning edition but stock was a issue in south africa and instead went for 2 MSI 560GTX TI OC editions and i could'nt be happier 560GTX TI is a good card but 2 is even better :p

Cromat88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
well according to the calculation i did with the 16 Phase PWM and triple over V you could quite possible hit 1005mhz on the core. Those Lightning Edition Cards are very nice for Overclocking

I like your views Mactronix, do not call me out on the 480 however ;)

On line reviews are borked, only few represent the 480 properly.

No one is calling you out on anything.
What I will say is that its starting to get tiresome that you seem to be turning every thread that even mentions cards around the same performance area into a "Wow look how good my 480 is" thread.

Yes the card is now value for money and it does warrant consideration. It wont be the right solution for everyone though and you need to accept that there are other cards out there that are as good and as much value for money as the stock 480 is.

Just because you have one and its great does not follow that everyone else will be so lucky. Over clocks while greatly more consistent than a few years ago cant be considered a given.
Clearly there are noisy versions out there, either that or a lot of review sites including Toms don't know how to review the cards. The same goes for the heat issue.
The 480 was slated at launch and realistically along with cards like AMD's 5830 it deserved what it got on the whole.

You seem to be saying that these people don't know what they are doing.
On line reviews are borked, only few represent the 480 properly

Well I think you will find that most people would rather believe multiple on-line professional reviews over the video's you are posting.

Seriously I'm not looking for a fight, I just want people to have a balanced view of things and that means considering other options.
All you can do is state the facts as you see them or know them to be.
I appreciate what you are trying to do, you can however get a little carried away some times.

Mactronix :hello: