Reinsalling OS windows 7

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello...

I received the OS disc from Dell yesterday...There's no instructions, just the Disc....Do I need to install the original OS in safe-mode to avoid the virus I have on my HD...Or are there any steps I take first to wipe the HD clean of all data, then install the OS (windows 7) on the blank Hard drive. I'm not sure how to proceed..Thanks...

Anthony.....

PS...I don't care about losing data as everything thankfully was backed up prior to getting the virus..

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
ok

go into the bios. tap f8

then select the first boot device as dvd

then put the windows disk in. and press the key for save and exit

now it will load to the windows install disk

format your pc using the clean install option under advanced i believe

and format your c drive. this will mean you will lose all the data on the c drive so make sure you have backed up anything you wanted to keep

then go through the installation by following the instructions

you should have your windows key printed on a sticker on the laptop. type that in when it asks you

install the os is very simple and the instructions are easy to follow

(if its only a virus you want to get rid of. programs like malwarebytes work in safe mode and that should get rid of it)

room335

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Tried Malwarebytes, MS sweeper, and various other programs, but can't get it off. A computer tech that we brought the Dell to couldn't get it off either..not sure why, but all the data is backed up prior to virus, so we figured a reinstall of OS and wiping the HD clean will get our Dell back in operation...

Thanks......