OperationCheese

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I didn't know where to post this, but I'll post it here:
I am currently contemplating whether my graphics card or my CPU need an upgrade more.
I have:
CPU: Intel i3 550-3.53ghz
GPU: Nvidia Galaxy GeForce GT 520
I would be upgrading to either:
New CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
New CPU: Nvidia (some brand) GTX 570
I need to know which would increase FPS/overall performance more in a game like Arma 2.
Also, what kind of cooling and power supply would I need to run these?
Thanks.

Solution
I am guessing the graphics card.

To prove this to yourself,

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well...
I am guessing the graphics card.

To prove this to yourself,

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

A GTX570 needs a 550w psu. So does a GTX670.

If your case has two 120mm intake fans, or the equivalent in output fans, you will have great cooling.
The GTX670 is a newer 28nm technology and would run cooler.

Solution