Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to compare fan airflow.

Last response: in Components
December 18, 2012 3:41:48 AM

So most case fans base their measurements of airflow on CFM. But I noticed that noctua quantifies airflow with c^3/h. Is this the same measurement? It makes me not want to buy from them because I am worried that it is actually weaker than what they want you to think. Also, are noctua fans as quiet as this video makes it out to be? The one I am looking at is the NF-B9 PWM. Thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqp6BxxqlC8

More about : compare fan airflow

December 18, 2012 7:00:09 AM

Noctua fans are purported to be among (if not) the quietest fans out. From what I have read and seen, they are among the best overall - six year warranty on a fan is rare. I've just never been able to justify the cost myself or I'd probably have them hanging all over my builds.
my $0.02
December 18, 2012 11:21:00 AM

Sythe Gentle typhoons are the best noise to airflow. Very good static pressure and CFM for the noise.
Related resources
December 18, 2012 11:54:15 PM

The reason I was looking at that fan was, it is pretty cheap and seems quiet, but I have no clue what that unit of measure is.

Best solution

December 19, 2012 12:38:41 AM

I've been looking at that, not unexpected to list cubic meters/h (M^3/h) since they are an Austrian company... the numbers seem to be okay, let's see if I'm doing it right. 64.3 meters per hour divided by 60 = 1.07 cubic meters per minute times 35.31 cubic feet per cubic meter gives me 37.7 cubic feet per minute (cfm). I guess that's not bad for a quiet fan.
December 19, 2012 1:00:10 AM

Thanks. I had a feeling that they were using those numbers to make is seem like it had higher airflow than it really did. Do you have any other suggestions for good 92/120mm case fans that are relatively quiet?
December 19, 2012 1:04:31 AM

'fraid not, quiet fans are not my forte - I have three Ultra-Kazes running full blast in my bedroom, the noise doesn't bother me. Sorry
December 29, 2012 1:11:01 AM

Best answer selected by lt_dan_zsu.
December 29, 2012 2:08:27 AM

IF you don't mind continuing help, I was looking at cougar fans. Do those look good to you, or should I pass on them?
December 29, 2012 2:53:24 AM

For air and case cooling I would say the Cougar fans have the Corsair fans beat, more airflow, quieter rating... my interest in the Corsairs are more appropriate for radiator applications - since you started this thread, I've been considering replacing my ultra-kazes from my rad since they are by far the loudest ambient noise makers in the house - I hadn't noticed it much before.
!